It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Just when you thought police officers might lay low from all the attention they've been getting for stupid, inhumane actions, here comes a story from San Fran proving otherwise!

Source

San Francisco police are being accused of brutality in a case that involved a bicyclist at the Valencia Gardens public housing complex in the city’s Mission Dolores neighborhood on Friday afternoon.

I thought you got a warning for riding your bike on a sidewalk, not arrested. Since when did we start beating the crap out of someone for it???

Apparently people witnessed this act and found it so appalling that they had to come together and step in to stop it. Of course, you know they would also be arrested, but they still stepped in!

When word spread in the neighboring apartment complex, residents rushed out to help Williams. That’s when things went from bad to worse. The arrest spurred an altercation between other people at the complex and prompted three more arrests, police said.

People were not happy. Even they knew that a line was crossed.

“Clearly something not right is happening here,” Jensen said.

He said Williams was simply riding his bike on the sidewalk up to his residence in the complex when he was approached by undercover officers who said something about riding on the sidewalk, then grabbed him from behind and beat him for no apparent reason.

Jensen said witnesses at the scene said Williams suffered a broken jaw and other injuries when he was attacked by police.

He said when others joined in, it was out of concern for Williams.

“People don’t get that upset for no reason. They were upset because they were seeing DJ getting beaten,” Jensen said.

(Watch the guy who's face is all bloody towards the end. When someone says "Hey, let me see your face so I can get it on camera", the cops push his face forward as though they dont want it to be seen)

*sigh* What is this world coming to. Of course the officers seen no issue with the beatdown. They said he was resisting arrest. Why in the 9 hells would you arrest someone from riding a bike on the sidewalk anyways? I know there are bike lanes, and to be honest, riding on a rode vs a 2ton steel beast isn't exactly safe in my opinion... so who cares if the guy in on the sidewalk. Were there others on the sidewalk that he was running into? Probably not!

Police spokesman Officer Gordon Shyy said the incident started when Williams tried to flee into a residence after plainclothes officers tried to stop him for a vehicle code violation.

So anyone can just walk up to you and say, "I'm a cop. You have to do what i say" and if I run away, you have the right to beat me into oblivion? Something don't add up here. I think the officers involved in this case should be fired, sued and sent to prison for this crazyness.

(PS - Tried to place in the proper forum but it would not let me post in it)
edit on 19-11-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Source

Valencia Gardens public housing complex

This didn't surprise me.

I'm pretty sure we won't hear much from the other side of the story.

+73 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

+19 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
That's how you combat the problem, folks. You can take as many cell phone videos as you want, or file as many complains as you want, or post angry messageboards to online forums as you want, but the problem will never go away as long as people are complacent.

Witnessing an excessive use of force by police? Intervene, and compel other people around you to do the same, because one day you may be the person getting pummeled and would want others to help you. By standing by and allowing it to happen you are essentially saying that it's okay, and I believe that the more people actively show their displeasure at such events the less it will happen.

-EDIT-

Perhaps I got too ahead of myself upon viewing the video again. The video does only capture then end of the confrontation and not the events leading up to it, so perhaps there was an issue of resisting arrest. All this commotion over someone riding a bicycle, though? Was it really necessary to arrest someone?

I still stand behind the spirit of my original post, however.
edit on 19-11-2013 by ArchAngel_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Police claim appropriate use of force. The problem seems to be that people don't understand the term appropriate. But we are quickly learning their definition.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Story below says the case has been "discharged"...

UPDATE 9:30pm: KTVU is now reporting that the District Attorney has "discharged the case against Mr. Williams and another man pending further investigation."

SFPD Assaults Black Cyclist, Discover He Was Only "Packing" a Cupcake and Juice

As his sister with her 4-month-old baby came out of the house to demand they stop beating her brother, the officers began pushing her and her child. At this time many of their neighbors came out demanding that the officers stop beating DJ stating, “What are you doing? He didn’t do anything!” They saw that DJ had been knocked unconscious by the blows. The officers using aggressive language began beating up other neighbors and demanding people's video footage. A total of four people, including DJ, where beaten bloody in the face, 3 of whom were immediately arrested. Two remain in jail.

Up to this time, the SFPD has made no attempt to interview family or residents that witnessed the beating. The SFPD has refused to release DJ and allow the family to visit him.

Emergency Action: Justice for D’Paris Williams and ALL Victims of Police Brutality in Valencia Gardens!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Well, I was glad to see a white guy came to DJ's aid.
I'd expect a race riot otherwise.

I wonder if the cops planted any contraband on his person so they can say he's being investigated for drug trafficking or some other alphabet agency sponsored illicitness.

Just riding on the sidewalk huh? Ipods will be outlawed so we can hear when we are about to be molested.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The reports are out there, crime is at an all time low.

Whats this mean for cops? They have nothing to do.

In order to justify their existence, they have now begun to enforce the most harmless of "crimes" hoping that the interaction escalates. Instead of a simple warning or ticket, they can then arrest someone for a litany or crimes from "disorderly conduct" to "resisting arrest".

Operation "terrorize the harmless" was a complete success. Not only did they arrest the biker, but several others. SCORE!

With each passing week, we find that the police are becoming the greatest threat to our safety and freedom.

The majority of police need to be disarmed.

Simply put, there are WAY too many cops. In the absence of any real crime, they exist to terrorize the average citizen in the form of violent assaults, revenue generation via code violations and the stealing of our property via immoral civil forfeiture laws.
edit on 19-11-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Wow, I am completely shocked. Bystanders actually standing up to cops gone wild? Pinch me, I must be dreaming. Hopefully this is a trend that picks up. Makes me sick to see a bunch of people just standing there, watching fellow humans being beaten like chattel. Bravo to the people that stepped in.
edit on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:20:29 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's funny how the news station flashes a picture of the guy wearing a hoodie with the word "GANG" on it.
Really? I can't even be surprised anymore by this tv nonsense.
It just seems like a pathetic attempt to make the viewers feel sympathetic for the police and brew up some racial tension.
edit on 19-11-2013 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
A heads up for the visually impaired. Might want to leave your cane at home - you are probably carrying a weapon.

We're told the man seen holding the cane in the video is a gay, HIV-positive man who needs his cane because of medical complications. The police are continuing to hold him in custody, allegedly because his cane is being considered a "deadly weapon."

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

With each passing week, we find that the police are becoming the greatest threat to our safety and freedom.

Apparently Michael Ellner was right...

Just look at us. Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

We have gone from from this:

To this:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
One solution to this problem: For every incident of this type - that is, police brutality or "officers of the law" overstepping their authority - record the incident and post it on YouTube with as much personal information about the offending officer(s) as possible. Name, badge number, home address, telephone number, names and personal information of family members, anything you can dig up. In a society in which you can't fight back directly (and you can't), guerilla tactics are your only recourse. These kinds of people need to have some kind of a "hurting" put on them. As of now they have nothing to fear from the docile public. We should give them something to fear.
edit on 19-11-2013 by bigfootgurl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Will these folk weigh in next time I wonder?
Are they known to be somewhat "unbowed", and was this deliberate provocation to intimidate the area?
State sponsored terrorism?
Are cyclists still exercising their right to cycle on the side-walk?

If you do have any decent policemen left, and they don't throw in their badges over this, at least you'll know they are decent no longer.
Now they are just desperate to be on the winning side.
People should be chanting this guy's name at every cop they see, all over America -- get off your arses or live on your knees.

mistersmith.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Notice the look of shame on the police spokesperson and how he swallows his throat, doesn't look too confident with the official story.

edit on 19-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

While I certainly don't condone the apparent actions of the SF police, your statement is not true.

The California Vehicle Code allows local governments to regulate bike use and SF has a bylaw that restricts riding a bike on a sidewalk to those under 13.

Houston Texas has an ordinance that states "No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk in the City of Houston within a business district or where prohibited by sign." (Section 45-311)

NYC has a bylaw that states "No driving bikes on sidewalks unless sign allows or wheels are less than 26 inches in diameter and rider is twelve years or younger."

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Well, I was glad to see a white guy came to DJ's aid.
I'd expect a race riot otherwise.

Do a lot of race baiting? We've got cops beating up people for riding bicycles on the sidewalk and that's your first remark? Come on! Police brutality is everyone's concern.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfootgurl

record the incident and post it on YouTube...

This brings up another excellent point...

Just an FYI to all those LEO's who happen to be reading this now:

Whether you are caught on tape or not...

One day you WILL answer to God about how you used the authority that HE alone gave you.

Ask ANYONE who has ever had an NDE, they will confirm this as well.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

He was arrested/Knocked out for not cooperating, even witnesses said that he was listening to music so he didn't hear the undercover police.

So lets say that is true, your minding your own business, headphones in, one or two guys walk up that you don't know, you are not in the mood, you keep going... BANG!! now you're going to jail for being cheeky to LEO's.

What could have almost been a funny video of a guy being chased by police not even knowing it in reality becomes a beating off police.

edit on 30pm1212pmTue, 19 Nov 2013 12:25:09 -060030 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

not enough people reacting

else there'd have been no arrests.

here's how its done

and he was really arrested for not getting down on all fours, wagging his tail and puckering up when a cop[not readily apparent due to being in civvies] barked at him.

hopefully, some future defendant, will walk out of court by citing this event as disproving any credibility these cops and/or undercover rats may have as "trained observers", given their inability to see he had headphones on.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: fixed video

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join