It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Review Finds Statins Not Tied to Mental Decline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
First we had the 'new guidelines' saying that 1/3 of Americans need to be on statins.
ATS Thread - OMG More Statin Insanity New Guidelines Want 1/3 of Americans on Statins
And now 'they' are saying that a 'new study' says those statins are just fine to take.
This conveniently reverses all the warnings that have been issued against statins.
The doctors involved in the 'new guidelines' admitted they had financial interests in pushing statins.
I have to think the same must be true of the people in the 'new study' that says there is no
mental decline from statin use.

Review Finds Statins Not Tied to Mental Decline

Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs do not appear to raise the risk of memory loss or dementia, a new review finds. "In February 2012, largely based on anecdotal reports, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety statement warning patients of possible adverse mental effects associated with statin use," said senior study author Dr. Emil deGoma, medical director of the preventive cardiovascular program at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine. However, the scientific evidence the researchers analyzed showed that statins -- which include drugs such as Crestor, Lipitor and Zocor -- aren't connected with memory loss or mental declines, deGoma said.

And now comes the sales pitch ....

These findings should be highly reassuring to people taking -- or who should be taking -- statins to reduce their risk of cardiovascular events and stroke," said Fonarow, a professor of cardiology at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"As cardiovascular disease remains the leading cause of death, disability and health care expenditures, statin therapy, together with a healthy diet and regular exercise, represents one of the most extensively studied, safe, effective and value-driven ways to improve individual and population-level cardiovascular health," he said.

I say this is a load of BUNK. The side effects from statins are very well known. EVERYONE I know who has taken them has had problems. Mental decline problems and/or severe cramps in the bones/muscles problems. My inlaws on these things got really ditzy. The anecdotal evidence and real life experiences of people who have taken the drugs, or who have family members who have taken the drugs, says this study is dead wrong.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It works if you have a healthy diet and get regular exercise? If we did that we wouldn't need the meds in the first place. Talk about sugarcoating the results.

Free glutamates can cause these symptoms. Do statins treat the glutamates in the body? Glutamates resemble vldl in the test for cholesterol and they are part of figures. Maybe they need to reduce free glutamates in the foods, they are boosted in foods to attract us to the foods. A little is good, but overdoing it raises blood pressure and elevates vldl on the test.

That would be a cure though and not a treatment. That is counterproductive, everyone needs to be going to a doctor to get meds for something regularly or our economy may go haywire.

S&F

When the people at the coop were tested by the local health department, their results came out really good even though some were overweight. No people tested were in bad shape. Both cholesterol and BP were very good. Maybe only healthy people buy at coops? I doubt it, I think eating natural foods make you healthy.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Its a load of bunk in many ways, but the most obvious is that ALMOST EVERY AMERICAN needs statins and EVERY American must fit within this narrow little notch.

Some folks have naturally high cholesterol with no disease present. Ive had high cholesterol since I was 17. Im damned near 50 now. Ive had them push the pills on me and at one point I gave in when younger. I took Lipitor. Made me feel dreadful and have such bad pain I couldnt lift my arms. NO more statins
I have several genetic thingies... hereditary and not due to disease or producing disease/illness. Drs have tried to kill me for decades. Im starting to take some real offense at this.

It would make more sense to me to find out WHY in some the liver produces too much the enzyme HMG-CoA which these statins block.. but they are what the statins target and they effect cholesterol production... IN THE LIVER. Changing the diet may work for some.. but maybe spend more money looking into the origin of the problem.. IMO the liver. Crazy ideas I have, eh??

Ya gotta remember that these guys are the same ones pushing an all for one across the board food pyramid which has by itself killed off many of those with my ancestry... yet they refuse to take this evidence into account.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
They're going to push everybody on statins. Cholesterol is necessary not only to make certain neurotransmitters, but also creates vitamin D, which is essential for our immune systems. It is made all over in the body, and it is said that only a small percentage comes from food.

Cholesterol has never been directly linked to heart disease, as there are people with low cholesterol who drop dead of heart attacks. Yet they continue this idiotic push, even going as far as suggesting that statins be put in the water supply so that everybody is "safe" from heart disease. Lord have mercy.

Please see: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Gee what a surprise. Their findings are very beneficial to the pharmaceutical and medical communities. Hey lets have a round of rat poison for everyone!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
That's fine. All of the idiots who believe this garbage and take that junk can get Alzheimer's before 60 for all I care. Those who have a bit more sense to begin with will stay that way as they age. Win for the wise, loss for the fools. I'm okay with this.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

...The side effects from statins are very well known. EVERYONE I know who has taken them has had problems. Mental decline problems and/or severe cramps in the bones/muscles problems. My inlaws on these things got really ditzy. The anecdotal evidence and real life experiences of people who have taken the drugs, or who have family members who have taken the drugs, says this study is dead wrong.

Ditto. ...and the studies are out there.

top topics

join