It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You'll Ever Need

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I thought this was so cool.

I'm going to try this soon and see if I have any luck. You never know, might need it for the zombie apocalypse.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

As long as you have fuel for it.

I still like the one (hobo stove) made from a coffee can. I first saw it in a crafts book for kids when I was about 8 years old. You burn sticks, leaves, straw, etc in it. Dry fuel is more readily available, usually.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

cool. if you have a video for it do you mind posting it on here?

I guess this one would be better for wetter climates, but the hobo would be far better for a dry environment.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Here is a pic:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would have liked to know about that when I was young. I would keep a bottle of Bacardi 151 in the car sometimes for emergencies. Having one of those stoves in the car would have been a good excuse for having an open container in the car.
Emergencies come in many forms, running out of beer was an emergency back them.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Pretty neat but it is a known fact that aluminum vapor is highly dangerous. Alzheimers is a product of exposure to aluminum vapors.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is the best stove I have seen yet. I have seen and can think up countless hobo stoves but none are as cool as this. Nor as efficient. He barely used any alcohol to boil looks like it just used the vapor. Making a still is extremely easy to do so fuel for this wouldn't be hard in an end of the world scenario.

You just start with your hobo stove and work towards this. Fact is we all have alcohol at home and no one is going to loot stores for it when the SHTF. They will be looting food and plasma TV's.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

chadderson

Pretty neat but it is a known fact that aluminum vapor is highly dangerous. Alzheimers is a product of exposure to aluminum vapors.

If I'm in a survival situation, I'm probably not going to be concerned about that.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My boyfriend and I have done it. It was a windy day so the water didn't get a chance to boil as quick as we would have liked but it was just an experiment anyways we weren't trying to cook anything.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It's a pretty neat little way to make a small stove. I saw this on another video.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"Mmmmmm....Beer.
The cause and the solution to all of life's problems."
- Homer Simpson

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

I think people would take the alcohol in times emergencies, and just about everything which isn't bolted down. If you look at stores during disasters, there is nothing left on the shelves. I think this is where hobo stoves shine, in that you can burn just about anything.

You guys might check out tetkoba's page, as he has made some interesting stoves with cans. - www.youtube.com...

For emergencies I have a bushbuddy, and a biolite, but I think the main problem will be a lack of things to cook. How many survivalists have a real sustainable reliable food source in any given condition or scenario?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I thought of all people, survivalists knew that burnt aluminum is REALLY bad for humans...

Past 300 degrees Celsius, aluminum can break down in the food you are heating.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Awesome video and information. Much better and easier than the stove I made using two cans:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

butcherguy

As long as you have fuel for it.

I still like the one (hobo stove) made from a coffee can. I first saw it in a crafts book for kids when I was about 8 years old. You burn sticks, leaves, straw, etc in it. Dry fuel is more readily available, usually.

Ditto, but just recently coffee cans are made of cardboard..

I'm holding on to my metal cans just in case. Even the Walmart coffee cans are not of metal...

The can with an old school can popper thingie - the can opener that does the liquid pour punch triangle doohickey - makes easy work for a hobo stove.

IMO, the beer can would be better used to boil water...or render fat. I can make a stove with a dish and a hex-nut with some fabric... No need to get all fancy with this alcohol stove.

Who carries enough liquid rubbing alcohol to last more than a day anyways? That beer can could be better used IMO.

Edit A S&F - this is cool nonetheless.
edit on 21-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: s&f

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

You are correct about coffee cans, plastic is being used for that too.
I Have found that tomatoes, beans and other vegetables are still found in metal cans though.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by ChuckNasty

You are correct about coffee cans, plastic is being used for that too.
I Have found that tomatoes, beans and other vegetables are still found in metal cans though.

Mega sized soup and spaghetti-o's too. Just need to burn the lining out is all. The coffee cans had no plastic lining.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

they are making stoves out of the cans.... when was the last time you put your food directly on your stove at home without a pan?

reply to post by chadderson

if you like, just buy these and hope you dont end up in a survival situation without them and/or, that they don't run out before your dead... www.webstaurantstore.com...

Oh never mind... I just read that these (which are made for restaurants) also are made out of aluminum... "Each can is made using recyclable aluminum"

ok... just dont heat up any food then... ever, once shtf.. or before ...
edit on 21-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Those are cool! Saves a lot of money... and are pretty handy... even though I don't drink I am certain to be able to knock on a neighbors door and get an empty beer can or two straight away!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think a stove is useful, but I think if you're camping you're gonna build a fire anyway. So why not just cook over the campfire? That's what I do. It's amazing how small a fire you even need. Once it burns even for a little while the coals give off a lot of heat for at least an hour, and that's just a tiny tiny fire.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join