It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide bombers kill 25 near Iran embassy in Beirut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

BEIRUT: Two suicide bombers – one driving a rigged car and the other on a motorcycle with an explosives belt – attacked the Iranian Embassy in Beirut Tuesday, killing at least 25 people and wounding more than 150, security sources said.

The attack, confirmed by Lebanon’s military prosecutor as the work of suicide bombers, was claimed by an Al-Qaeda-linked group and is the latest in a spate of deadly bombings linked to the war in Syria.

A high-level security source said CCTV footage showed the first suicide bomber detonating his explosives belt at the embassy’s entrance just before 10 a.m. after approaching the compound on a motorcycle.

Minutes later, a second explosion shook the predominantly Shiite neighborhood of Bir Hasan when a second bomber detonated an explosives-laden Sports Utility Vehicle less than 50 meters from the embassy compound, the source added.

Read more: www.dailystar.com.lb...
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: www.dailystar.com.lb...)

Source link: www.dailystar.com.lb...

This was too close for me this time. I work at a very well known school in this city, teaching English,and I was in the middle of a lesson, windows open. When we heard the big 'bang' sound. All my students looked at me for a second and asked me what happened.

Minutes after that many parents arrived to pick up their children early, because of the situation.

They say on the tv the bomb was around 60-70 kg, now I am no expert, and don't know what that exactly means, but it was only like 2 minutes away from our school and when it happened, the power of the bomb was strong enough to shut my classroom's door, and rattle our windows.

The smoke and fire could be seen from far away.

25 people dead, many wounded. Buildings ruined, cars burned down. I saw photos of this area on tv now, it looks horrible.

I wish they would catch these people who do this already. We've been having a lot of bombings /attempted bombings in Lebanon lately.

Terrible, terrible news indeed.

I'm seriously thinking about moving back home to Canada with my hubby next year.
edit on 19/11/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
So the US and Iran now have a common enemy? Or is this the same group that the US is now funding as a proxy war against Iran. Let's hope the US doesn't abandon them like the did Bin Laden when they get what they want (if my suspicion is true).

Edit: Glad you are safe, come back here for a Timmies!
edit on 19-11-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Thanks.

It's very kind of you.

I don't know how much coverage this gets on the western tv channels, but there was also an attempted bombing, which they caught in time last month I think. It's been going on a while now. (I don't swear by the date, cannot remember exact date, sorry)

They have installed military check points at some busier parts of the city for a little over a month now. People block the parking spots with poles in front of their shops and buildings, so cars (cars that could carry a bomb) don't park near them.

And you can't drive late at night anymore, or at least it's not really worth it, because those check points search your car inside out, til they let you and your family pass. (New safety procedure I guess, but didn't help much, looking at what happened today.)

edit on 19/11/2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well either way Israel couldn't make it anymore obvious, right now when the peace talks are happening... And at the end the only one who gains out of this conflict are Israel/Saudi Arabia/America

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I couldn't agree more.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It seems that the game between Syria,Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iran is gaining momentum in the ME.

Iran: Israel behind deadly Beirut attacks

Iran's Foreign Affairs Ministry accused Israel Tuesday of carrying out deadly attacks outside the Islamic republic's embassy in Beirut, killing 25 people including an embassy diplomat.

“[The bombings are] an inhumane crime and spiteful act done by Zionists and their mercenaries," ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham told IRNA news agency.

The Syrian government also deplored the suicide attacks against the embassy.

"The Syrian government firmly condemns the terrorist attacks carried out near the Iranian embassy in Beirut," state television said.

“The odor of petrodollars is rising from the attacks in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq,” the agency added, in an apparent reference to Saudi Arabia.

Speaking to Al-Manar Television, Syria's Information Minister accused the Saudi and Israeli intelligence of being behind the attack.

The timesofisrael.com says:

Tuesday’s assailants — who apparently belong to an al-Qaeda offshoot — sent two bombers in a coordinated attack.

So, Israel is pointing the blame. While going on to say:

Tehran learns the bitter lesson it taught Israel: Explosives plus a highly motivated terrorist make for a devastating weapon.

Very interesting statements being thrown around. Like "The odor of petrodollars is rising from the attacks in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq."

I am happy to know, your students and yourself are okay. Stay Safe!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So we're blaming Israel already?
We usually like to re-use our soldiers, not scrape them off the side of an embassy.
Just sayin

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Never fails.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

explain to me how you see this as an Israeli action? If the bomb were remote controlled, I'd be more prepared to accept this But the Suicide attack just doesn't smell like an Israeli job to me. I see news reports are claiming its an AQ backed attack, but cant seem to see where that comes from? - Any sources? The AQ claims were coming in pretty quickly after the blast.

I know nothing more than what's being reported, but if was to put money on it I'd be inclined to link to some blow-back from Syria.

Also any news on who the Iranian diplomat was that was targeted?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I can't find the source anymore, but the first news I heard via RT where reporting two missiles. Also little fun fact, Israel is the only nation which allows Assasins. Well not assassins as in ninja's but kill squads. Approved by the government.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Senduko
Israel is the only nation which allows Assasins.

They ALL use assassins. Just because its' supposedly not allowed by Syria or Iran
or Lebanon or whatever, doesn't mean that they don't do it. You betchya they do.
And Israel doesn't use suicide bombers. That's a waste of a soldier.
They wouldn't waste an Israeli soldier like that.
edit on 11/19/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by redshoes

any news on who the Iranian diplomat was that was targeted?

His name was, Sheikh Ibrahim Ansari. But I'm not sure if he was the bombers main target.

Ambassador Ghazanfar Roknabadi identified the diplomat as Sheikh Ibrahim Ansari. The ambassador says Ansari took his post in Lebanon a month ago and was overseeing all regional cultural activities.

The mid-morning blasts hit Beirut's neighborhood of Janah, a stronghold of the Shiite militant Hezbollah. Attacks have targeted Hezbollah strongholds in recent months in what many see as retaliation by Sunni extremists for Hezbollah's role in Syria's civil war.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

superman2012
So the US and Iran now have a common enemy? Or is this the same group that the US is now funding as a proxy war against Iran. Let's hope the US doesn't abandon them like the did Bin Laden when they get what they want (if my suspicion is true).

Edit: Glad you are safe, come back here for a Timmies!
edit on 19-11-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

LOL. Yea this wasn't AQ. But it is a little hair of the dog.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is what I've been told by coworkers at school (who heard it from people who were actually there, and survived) and from my husband when he translated for me from the tv news. (I actually had one coworker lose her friend in this bombing. Very sad.)

The first man was on a motorbike, he tried to drive straight through the security, and get inside the embassy, but was stopped and shot by the guards. He then set off the bomb, which was on him.

About 5 minutes later, after a big crowd had gathered to see what had happened, a car pulled up and exploded, killing 25 people, and wounded 150 and more.

It seems too crazy and illogical to me. They couldn't reach their target, so they wait for a big crowd to gather and then set off the second bomb.
That second bomb didn't make sense to me. Those were innocent pedestrians trying to help, or see what was wrong.

top topics

join