It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing plans low cost maritime patrol aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Boeing is planning to use a Challenger 604 aircraft to demonstrate a low cost maritime patrol aircraft using technologies from their P-8A. The final version will use a Challenger 605.

The interior would consist of two crew stations in the cabin with a variety of sensor options available. They would include the Selex Seaspray radar, and a FLIR systems Star Safire 380 EO/IR sensor. The plan calls for the demonstrator to fly by next year, and be available for customer evaluation almost immediately.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Zaphod58
Boeing is planning to use a Challenger 604 aircraft to demonstrate a low cost maritime patrol aircraft using technologies from their P-8A. The final version will use a Challenger 605.

The interior would consist of two crew stations in the cabin with a variety of sensor options available. They would include the Selex Seaspray radar, and a FLIR systems Star Safire 380 EO/IR sensor. The plan calls for the demonstrator to fly by next year, and be available for customer evaluation almost immediately.

www.flightglobal.com...

It seems the West's usual attitude of 'Throw lots of money at defense,' is making way for a more sustainable future. As well, tech is increasing and decreasing the number of people required to carry out the task. All good. Can they be armed?

P

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I don't think the aircraft is designed for any external weapons loads (wing hard points). Certainly not anything that could take out a ship or sub. Maybe a small guided missile for anti pirate operations but that would be it.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

pheonix358
It seems the West's usual attitude of 'Throw lots of money at defense,' is making way for a more sustainable future. As well, tech is increasing and decreasing the number of people required to carry out the task. All good.

"Cheap" maritime patrol a/c based on civil airliners aer not new - of course the P-8 and P-3 aer examples, but twin engine examples abound too -

HC-144 - for USCG, unarmed, has patrol and S&R functions, equipped similar to HC-130's

CN-235 MPA that het HC-144 is based on can be armed with Exocets and Mk 46 torpedoes

F-27 Maritime Enforcer - could carry up to 8800lb of stores, including Exocets, Haropoons, Torpedoes, Sea Skua, etc

DHC-8 MPA - several versions have been converted for maritime patrol - I haven't found any indications that they are actually armed - eg this article mentions sensor suites and countermeasures

Can they be armed?

My initial take is the C605's are not going to be armed - the writeup is all about surveillance, and there are already a few challengers in similar roles eg for the Danes & Sth Koreans the I can't find anything about them being armed.

top topics

join