It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing: Earthquake Hits Japan Amid Fukushima Fuel Rod Removal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
www.commondreams.org...

Don't see this posted...

Just as spent fuel removal starts:

Developing:

A strong earthquake has struck Japan's coast south of the Fukushima nuclear plant currently undergoing a dangerous removal of highly radioactive Unit 4 fuel rods, according to online reports.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that a 5.7 magnitude earthquake has struck Japan 25 kilometers southeast of Toba, releasing the following tweet:

Strong earthquake, NEAR S. COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN, Nov-18 19:10 UTC, 0 #quake tweets/min, t.co...

and

news.msn.co.nz...

Not much more I can find ...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Here's the details from USGS

Event Time

2013-11-18 19:10:45 UTC
2013-11-19 04:10:45 UTC+09:00 at epicenter
2013-11-18 11:10:45 UTC-08:00 system time
34.340°N 137.073°E depth=332.4km (206.6mi)

Nearby Cities

25km (16mi) SE of Toba, Japan
37km (23mi) ESE of Ise, Japan
40km (25mi) SSW of Tahara, Japan
41km (25mi) SSE of Toyohama, Japan
282km (175mi) WSW of Tokyo, Japan

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Per your article:

The tremor struck far down at a depth of 332km, USGS added. There are no initial reports of damage.

So hopefully, all is well.

That's another one in a week.
A 5.5-magnitude earthquake hit eastern Japan last week, rocking buildings in Tokyo.

Damn that's awful close together seems like.
I know that area is prone to EQ but these people need a break.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thoughts and prayers are with them as this is something they don't need right now... nor does the rest of the world for that matter. It seems like Fukushima wants to remain an ongoing catastrophe. Hopefully there will not be dire interference with the fuel rods.
edit on 11/18/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hopefully this isn't a precursor to something large and closer to Fukushima. However, this quake is centered off the coast of Ise, which is like 400 miles away from the reactors... i doubt they felt very much up there.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
blah bah blah. Posting 'thoughts and prayers for those there' is basically the same as saying 'thoughts and prayers for the remaining population in Chernobyl'. If they're stupid enough to stay in such a contaminated place then we shouldn't be send prayers for them- maybe send some new bloody brains?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

AJ1123TKE
Hopefully this isn't a precursor to something large and closer to Fukushima. However, this quake is centered off the coast of Ise, which is like 400 miles away from the reactors... i doubt they felt very much up there.

Thanks for figuring the exact distance, it makes me feel better. Japan has earthquakes all the time (I was born there and have heard the stories - we left before I could remember it)

They probably didn't feel anything at that distance and magnitude.

Again thanks.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Good grief, Japan has such bad luck with radiation. I hope their people at least develop some useful genetic mutations down the line to make up for all this.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Talk about a shooting gallery! and the crappy part is the entire planet is the target that will suffer a slow and horrible death. There isnt a safer way to do things down there? because if it wont be done until 2015-17 and the frequency of EQ stays the same or gets worse....sadly i foresee a dim future for us all.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfootgurl

"useful genetic mutations",,their are no mutations allowed in Japan's Culture.

Their is a name for it.

If Steven Hawking had been born in Japan,, he would never been allowed to Teach.

For the Corporation who hired him,, would lose Face.

PLEASE,, correct me if i am wrong.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

samuel1990
blah bah blah. Posting 'thoughts and prayers for those there' is basically the same as saying 'thoughts and prayers for the remaining population in Chernobyl'. If they're stupid enough to stay in such a contaminated place then we shouldn't be send prayers for them- maybe send some new bloody brains?

And where would you suggest they go?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

samuel1990

That's pretty deep, and spiritual.

Thank you for your kindness.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

samuel1990

Your post suggests that you need a lot more enlightenment than your avatar depicts! Alignment of chakras might be in order for you!

In any case no-one asked you to pray for them, maybe pray for yourself and that this doesn't get any worse than it already is!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

well its now the 19th ,, when's quiting time at the plant?

cause im assuming everything went well?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
5.0 earthquakes are mild but then again I'm use to them on the west coast

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This is very far from Fukushima,
please have a look on a Map because the Center was ca. 500Km or more away
from Problem-Child Daiichi!
edit on 19-11-2013 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The tremor struck far down at a depth of 332km, USGS added. There are no initial reports of damage.

Holy cow that's deep. That's in the friggen Mantle wth is going on?

www.geo.mtu.edu...

top topics

join