It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autumn storm Eino blows in, plunges over 200,000 homes in darkness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Autumn storm Eino blows in, plunges over 200,000 homes in darkness
In the Häme and Tampere regions each upwards of 41,000 households were left in the dark as autumn storm Eino blew into Finland Sunday. In central Finland another 36,000 customers also suffered power outages, while the number of households affected in the Savo region passed 95,000 altogether.
Yle News

That was maybe strongest storm I have ever experienced. Its amazing how that storm developed really fast so people didn't have much time to prepare. It is titled as "3rd strongest storm of the century". Before the storm arrived here, it was known as Hilde in Norway and Sweden. It was deep low pressure that developed in Norway Sea. And another proof of climate change: Out of 4 strongest storms in Finland, 3 are from this century.

It wasn't ordinary autumn storm, the record wind speeds were 34 m/s (76mph, 122 km/h). As the wind was westerly, it gathered the water to coasts and it rose to flood levels. The waves were high too.

My experience: When I woke up at 9:00am, there was no electricity, apparently it went off around 8am. I expected the electricity to come back soon, but had to spend whole day without electricity. That is some experience. After I woke up, we went to check the damage, though it was still windy. There was fallen trees everywhere. Even some young trees fell, some with roots. It was because the ground isn't frozen yet, as winter is late as usual. It looked like there was some downbursts too, as all trees in certain areas were cut, in a row. Because the water was pretty high, it flooded many cottages, so it was costly storm for them. The electricity came back around 9:45pm, so we had to spend 13 hours without it.

Some pictures (not mine):

More Pictures (YLE)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Thks for the report - sounds pretty hairy!

The storm got no mention at all in the British news, but I picked up some stories for my blog this morning, it wasn't entirely overlooked!

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Stars & flag for the follow-up. Another forum had mentioned this storm but at the time when I googled nothing could be found. Sorry things got rough up there!
edit on 18-11-2013 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

I like the name Eino...good finish name. When Eino gets mad, better watch out.

I almost hear the Finn accent in your OP. Original Yooper accent I suppose.

The Swedes probably sent it over to Finland on purpose.

new topics

top topics

join