It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the “BIG” caliber is necessary

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by misguided

EXACTLY!!!!!!

A lot of what I posted was intended to highlight that what a person is comfortable with is ALWAYS their first choice in any life threatening scenario; you have also illustrated this wonderfully...

Excellent Post

Semper

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Nice write up. I agree with a lot of what you're saying here... My personal favorites are the 9mm semi-autos (high mag capacity for those "WTF just happened" scenarios, common ammo, low recoil), the .38spl (low maintenance, common ammo), and a good 12 gauge pump with an 18" barrel. I really have no reason to go after a target from any farther than a slug or 9mm would reach, but if I did well that's where a good .22 rifle comes in. People really underestimate the usefulness of a well placed .22LR round. I need to get around to replacing mine, probably with a bolt action.

To be more specific my handguns of the calibers I mentioned are both Taurus (PT 24/7 Pro DS and M856). Laugh if you want but they've been very reliable, they're relatively cheap, and I like the look and feel of them compared to similar models by other manufacturers. If I can recall model numbers properly my dad has a S&W SVE-40 among many others (not a 9mm but I was considering one), and a friend had a Ruger SR-9 at the time -- I hated them both after firing them a bit. In full disclosure, I actually had an older PT 24/7 Pro (not DS) that had a few issues with jamming, but I liked it enough overall that I took a chance and traded it in on the newer version, I was not disappointed.

Also there are these awesome little pocket sized 5-shot .22mag revolvers out there, they also come in LR or short but you can cylinder swap for LR on the mag frame. I have a NAA Mini Mag and I can literally conceal it in the palm of my hand. It's nice to have as a backup because it's about as heavy as a cell phone at 6.6oz loaded, and no one will ever know you have it. But don't expect to hit anything more than about 10 feet away and if you use all 5 shots you might as well just throw it at someone and hope you give them a nice shiner. There was a comment on a message board that the front sight is only good for hooking it into a nostril or ear. That being said, a crappy gun that goes bang when you pull the trigger is better than no gun at all. Little guys like me have the problem of weight to consider even with "compact" firearms. My M856 is more compact than it is light, but that's my own fault for being picky and getting the 6 shot version in all stainless instead of an ultralight 5-shot M85.
edit on 20-11-2013 by duke396 because: nit picking

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

I own a couple of 9s but I have always been a fan of the larger bullet for self defense.. 45acp

In particular the handgun I call the most perfect concealed carry gun.. The Para Ordinance Warthog

Fits in the palm of your hand and carries 12 rounds of 45acp

Admittedly heavy but amazingly accurate for such a short barrel..

I know it's kind of off topic, but I wanted to share

I'm going to write up a followup piece on really big calibers later on.. 44 and up

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I have nothing against .45s and was considering one for my next handgun purchase, I just can't quite decide what I want yet. I was checking out 1911 clones which I'm actually not THAT fond of, the Taurus PT 845 (shouldn't I get a repeat customer discount?), or a Springfield XDM-45. That Warthog is pretty cool though, I think I looked at one a while back. So many choices, not enough money.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by duke396

So many choices, not enough money.

Story of my life brother

Can't help with the Springfield as the only Springfield I have ever owned was a modified "race" gun I bought back in the 90s that was perhaps the worst gun I have ever owned.. I'm funny in that once I get a bad anything, I find it difficult to try it again.. Mildly OCD I guess..

I like a positive safety BUT.. Glock makes some sweet 45s and 40s that wont break your bank.. I have a 40.. (Issue and all).. Not a huge fan as I stated I like a positive safety, but I have to admit they do shoot nicely

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Haha sorry to hear about the bad experience! We all get one I think so I know what you mean. I'd take offense if someone gave me another Hi-Point, but you kind of get what you expect when it's $120 still in the box and looks like a toy. As for Springfield, My dad has an XD-45 and a friend has the XDM-40 and I haven't heard a single complaint about them. I enjoyed shooting them both but in all fairness I didn't put more than 30 rounds downrange with either of them.

I appreciate the Glocks in theory because I've only heard good things but I can't own one. The lack of a manual thumb safety is a major point deduction for me and honestly I just think they're ugly guns, no offense meant to the people who love them. ETA: I was just looking around and it seems you can get the XD-45 with or without the thumb safety, but the XDM doesn't come with it at all. Hm.

Anyway sorry to continue dragging this off topic, I need to go to bed anyway. I'll look out for your next thread as well

edit on 20-11-2013 by duke396 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join