It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to convincing my parents of economic collapse and the need to PREP!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

is there really a threat of collapse?
when?
What facts do you have, please show

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Hey bigman, I would try to find like minded friends/acquaintances in a situation similar to yours and maybe form a support group, or means of communication. Maybe look online for others in your same situation and start making contacts. If you are dependent upon people that don't necessarily share your views, you may really need to look outside of your circle and expand. Survival is survival, do what you need to do. Sometimes you have to rely on people you normally wouldn't. Good luck and best wishes.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think your parents would respond best to the idea of a prolonged power outage like after Sandy. Living where you do I don't see why they wouldn't know that already though, but some folks are just hard to convince. Tell them your fears, maybe if they see it the way you do they would understand.
You need to strengthen and exercise whatever useful limbs you have. You have the time so maybe the best use of your situation is to research every subject you think you will need to know about - indoor gardening, recycling household waste, water purification and usage, cooking without electricity, alternate heating methods, etc.

I'm a bit stuck myself, disabled but can't go more than a few hundred yards on these legs. Still, it's enough to making bugging out impossible for me without a vehicle. So I'm still figuring out how to manage everything in my house wiith my wife, my elderly mother who is disabled, 3 cats, a dog, possibly any of 4 sons, 2 of their wives and our grandkids if they decide it's safer with us. At least they know they will be able to eat for a few months at our house.

Well, I wish you luck. I used to teach survival classes so if there's anything specific I can answer for you or book to recommend let me know.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I watched some on PBS and there were other ones talking about it on articles on the net. Much of these were in the last few years.

I wouldn't worry about all this, just talk them into stocking some foods that you guys normally eat and tell them of all the money they can buy by buying on sale and less trips to the market where there is always impulse buying. We have around twelve gallons of water in stock for cooking and drinking and usually have fifty gallons outside for flushing the toilet. I emptied that 50 gal drum now so it wouldn't freeze but soon the snow will be here. Mostly we have to worry about events that last a maximum of four to six weeks. If a person lives in an area prone to disaster, then maybe two months. As far as a financial collapse, we will mostly all be in the same boat. As long as there is food and water in the boat, that's all right.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

bigman88
Never heard of this oil crisis you speak of in 73, waaayyy before my time, and never knew the country experienced so many vital shortages like these before.

Same here, far before my time. But I take value in knowing history and how it is almost always doomed to repeat itself. And more the reason to use that example to help get your parents to start prepping.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Some people have become that domesticated that the economy is their only means of survival.

The idea that it may no longer be there to support them terrifies them and their brains will simply lock out any idea that suggests they may have to find an alternative way to live.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hello Bigman,

I agree with the people above who mentioned focusing on a natural disaster like Hurricane Sandy. Use that as your tool to convince them that some prepping is important. Use Sandy as your starting point, and then go back in time giving examples of situations where prepping would have come in handy. Like by showing them this article. And then find others like it.

Also, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that perhaps you get a monthly disability check? If that is true, that is YOUR money. I understand how high the cost of living is in the city, my husband is from the Bronx and my MIL still lives there. So I get why your parents are hesitant to spend money on prepping. Perhaps you could use say $10-20/month to order prepping things online?

I feel really frustrated for you! My MIL sounds kind of like your parents, she sees no reason to prep. She rarely has food in her apartment, she just grabs takeout on the way from work. She might have one bottle of water in her home at a time! It is hard to get people to understand.

I also agree with what someone else said, about showing them how even the government is encouraging preparedness. Maybe that would help! ready.gov

Good luck to you, I hope they get on board with you!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Thank's queenofsheeba.

That is one of my best options concerning this. Mostly to take the strain off of the family when s does htf, and we gotta go mobile or something.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Lil Drummerboy

is there really a threat of collapse?
when?
What facts do you have, please show

You can go do this yourself, if you care to. This has been something covered extensively all over the place.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
I think your parents would respond best to the idea of a prolonged power outage like after Sandy. Living where you do I don't see why they wouldn't know that already though, but some folks are just hard to convince. Tell them your fears, maybe if they see it the way you do they would understand.
You need to strengthen and exercise whatever useful limbs you have. You have the time so maybe the best use of your situation is to research every subject you think you will need to know about - indoor gardening, recycling household waste, water purification and usage, cooking without electricity, alternate heating methods, etc.

I'm a bit stuck myself, disabled but can't go more than a few hundred yards on these legs. Still, it's enough to making bugging out impossible for me without a vehicle. So I'm still figuring out how to manage everything in my house wiith my wife, my elderly mother who is disabled, 3 cats, a dog, possibly any of 4 sons, 2 of their wives and our grandkids if they decide it's safer with us. At least they know they will be able to eat for a few months at our house.

Well, I wish you luck. I used to teach survival classes so if there's anything specific I can answer for you or book to recommend let me know.

Thanks for the tips, asktheanimals.

I guess the key thing is my own psyche; i deeply believe this is going to happen, and i know that we are definitely not stocked with anything to survive for any extended amount of time. I keep feeling that this is right around the corner, and that we might get caught with our pants down or something.

Researching is a good place to start, especially anything that can be done indoors for long term sustenance. All of those are great to look into. Living around here, with the knowledge we have, a bug in plan is the best thing for us.

Good luck to you too.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Mate...honestly, it's simple.

DON'T go on about doom and gloom all the time, don't claim this conspiracy and that conspiracy is blah blah blah...i've found you have to take a leaf out of the psychology tptb use to get us to do or perform how they wish us to. The more you rant about this and that MAY happen, the more people will be turned off by what you have to say.

All you have to tell your parents is this:

Mum, Dad...do you think it's better to be able to easily get something that you don't need now...or not to have something you may absolutely need later but cannot get?

Simple logic...i used to be in the boy scouts, and we all know the boy scout motto about being prepared.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Since it might be impossible for someone living where you do to legally obtain a weapon may I suggest getting a battery operated tape recorder and putting the sounds of someone chambering rounds in to a shotgun on tape - or a very mean sounding dog. Leave a petfood dish outside or maybe an old leash. Someone comes looking to break in just play the tape loud enough to sound real. Then there's always the "this property protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker that might be discouraging should someone see it on your window.

Nothing to lose in bluffing, What doesn't discourage outright might at least slow someone down. Knowledge is critical but so is creativity in survival. Despite all the survival books we had read my teaching partner and I still discovered new methods of doing things no one had written about in addition to finding new uses for common items.

Brain power and a good attitude are the most important tools you have.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
well as long as they have at least a pantry full of food and some stored bottles of water you should be fine. You need at least to last about 6 weeks. By that time it will be either solved or everyone will be in trouble. Food isn't a big deal, just get a couple big bags of rice and a few big bags of beans. They can store for long long time. But it's just the water situation. I keep enough for myself to last about a week to possibly 2 weeks. But that's only for 1 person. If I had to share it I'd be screwed. But water is important. Just get a few of the big water cooler jugs and keep them around and full. But I think in reality this whole prepper thing on a major level is not realistic. I honestly wouldn't worry about doing all that. You can't live your life in fear. It's not healthy at all. The fact is no one gets out of life alive, prepped or not prepped. So I think mainly you just need to get right with God. Then if the shtf and if things go bad you'll be fine, one way or another. If you're spiritually prepped you honestly don't need to prep. People that prep aren't spiritually right I think. So again don't worry about it too much ok. You'll be fine. And the odds of some major shtf scenario are pretty minor.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Thanks spartacus.

I am working myself slowly towards God. I thought he was an alien from Nibiru who found this planet and made human to to go do stuff for him, and i didn't buy the whole spiritual thing. But upon some accidental reading and videos, i have seen that God is real, and he is in control. I am a bit lazy towards him, but i recognize his love and his power. Some of his ways are waaayyy beyond me, but i am sure he has his reasons.

The thing is i have this feeling that God would want people to be prepared. If he sees that his faithful were aware of the coming situation, and when/if it does happen, we starve to death because of our own ineptitude, i have a feeling he is going to point that out. He sees what we are fully capable of, and holds us to a high standard.

I can be wrong though. And besides, just in case something like this does happen, i really don't want to starve. I'd rather go out more quicker from a looters bullet.

I don't live my life i fear at all, it's just something that i think about.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Since it might be impossible for someone living where you do to legally obtain a weapon may I suggest getting a battery operated tape recorder and putting the sounds of someone chambering rounds in to a shotgun on tape - or a very mean sounding dog. Leave a petfood dish outside or maybe an old leash. Someone comes looking to break in just play the tape loud enough to sound real. Then there's always the "this property protected by Smith & Wesson" sticker that might be discouraging should someone see it on your window.

Nothing to lose in bluffing, What doesn't discourage outright might at least slow someone down. Knowledge is critical but so is creativity in survival. Despite all the survival books we had read my teaching partner and I still discovered new methods of doing things no one had written about in addition to finding new uses for common items.

Brain power and a good attitude are the most important tools you have.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

That sounds grimly hilarious.

It's an idea, and probably the only idea to play concerning firearms, unless i decide to go an illegal route.

It seems like quite a setup, but deterrence is the first defense.

Now if they return prepared and pumped up for shooters or dogs...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join