It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

900 people affected by mysterious illness.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
www.fox23.com...

Out of my home state. Seems a strange illness has affected over 900 people in the town of Bristow, Oklahoma. Erin Brokovich and her team is on the case. Water has been tested and is not the source of the illness. Some citizens have reported "green sludge" leaking from the ground. Anyone remember Toxic Avenger??

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Three pieces of advice: 1) High quality air purifiers for inside the home. 2) Alternative water source, even though water checks out. 3) Don't underestimate the power of biological forces to do bad, even when its cancer. Clorox bleach is your friend when its cleaning time, it kills virii. Also, if its been wetter than normal, mold armor is your friend.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

catfishjoe
www.fox23.com...

Out of my home state. Seems a strange illness has affected over 900 people in the town of Bristow, Oklahoma. Erin Brokovich and her team is on the case. Water has been tested and is not the source of the illness. Some citizens have reported "green sludge" leaking from the ground. Anyone remember Toxic Avenger??

Hmm interesting (in a scary way).

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I read the article and to be honest I wonder what keeps people there. It has to be an environmental cause. Surely fear for the safety of one's family would trump any attachment they might have to the town? I do understand attachment to one's community, however there are options to be explored elsewhere, even if it means starting over, and that can be a really good thing. It brings to mind the Love Canal situation of several years back.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

aboutface
I read the article and to be honest I wonder what keeps people there. It has to be an environmental cause. Surely fear for the safety of one's family would trump any attachment they might have to the town? I do understand attachment to one's community, however there are options to be explored elsewhere, even if it means starting over, and that can be a really good thing. It brings to mind the Love Canal situation of several years back.

I agree. I would have to pack up and leave. The safety of the wife and kids come first. Bristow has a population of over 4,000 so it is a small community. I've been there a few times. Very nice people. Good, hard working country folk.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Once some more info comes out I will post more. I'm really interested in the number of deaths that has occurred and when this whole ordeal started.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Friggin sludge is coming up in peoples backyards...
Broken sewer lines or septic tanks maybe..
edit on 17-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I'm willing to bet that fracking in the area has something to do with it. Oklahoma is second only to Texas as far as the amount of toxic chemicals being used in the process.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Assuming a death rate of 9/1000/year, there would be an expected 36 deaths/yr. for Bristow, OK. 950 total deaths should take about 27 years. Was there a time period indicated on the 950 deaths? Were these total deaths, or deaths due to "natural causes" (non-accidental, non-intentional)?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Sometimes people make me wonder "what is wrong with you?". Why would you live where an oil refinery is/was? I just don't understand the mentality of staying somewhere just because. Clearly people are dying leave. The media/government has made it clear they never care so take care of yourself! There are tons of small towns in Oklahoma why not start looking for a job and move? I was born and raised there 18 years. Glad to be gone.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Dang I have an Aunt and Uncle in Bristow..

I will have to ask my mom if they are sick..

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The first question that I would ask is , is there any Fracking in the area. Where does there ground water/dring supply come from. The article was somewhat vaugue but I noticed mentioned there was haz. chem plants in the area with EPA cleanup mandates.

I would go past Erin Brokovich and go with sampling testing from the University of Oklahoma OR the University of Kansas.

There is an excellent university lab in Texas that could do this as well.

Don't go just on what Erin thinks get a university grad level student group to study the samples.

most govenmental studies rely on just numbers crunching from agency stat sheets, in a small case study like this I would get a group together and do a ' door to door' study. the illness numbers end up being more accurate with med records.

Get maps of ALL EPA and OTHER contaminted sites and what the status is on each site.
Track all rivers, streams and 'dry beds in conjunction with the sites in questions.

Look up the companies who have been around a while to see what they buried onsite and comapre it to the water sites.

Check with the county health department to get their stats on sickness. [good luck on that one, best bet is interviewing local doctors]

Get a map going of the people/families who are sick and compare it to the water maps and proxitmiy to contaminante sites.

If the county or city had concerns about the water to that extent, they would have it anylized by outside sources and if its not listed on the website, an FOIA can get it.

And last but not least.....'follow the money honey' That can be the absolute MOST frustrating and dangerous part.

Been there, done that so to speak and its not a fun road

[with tears]

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Tusks
Assuming a death rate of 9/1000/year, there would be an expected 36 deaths/yr. for Bristow, OK. 950 total deaths should take about 27 years. Was there a time period indicated on the 950 deaths? Were these total deaths, or deaths due to "natural causes" (non-accidental, non-intentional)?

I'm trying to find more info out but I'm finding nothing. I'm hoping by Friday I can post some new info.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Wow I am just stunned and dont really know what to say. The baby who got the brain tumor is really tragic, that alone makes me think about what the article says about industrial remnants from the companies who left back in the 60's. Do you suppose they simply dug a big hole and buried toxic substances which are just now pushing their way up? I know people have a long history in the town but if something can be proven, then a major lawsuit and relocation is in order. sad situation anyway you look at it. People need to move because from the looks of things it is surfacing and may continue to get worse.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Tusks

After reading the linked article, it would appear that the list was compiled of deaths over the last decade.
My guess would be that it probably included all deaths.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Really curious how many other communities throughout our great nation are going through the same ordeal?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I would get out of there with the quickness!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Lucky for them this is actually being reported on and investigated. We have a small town here in MI that has high cancer rates and deaths. They also believe it is from the refinery and other businesses that are gone now. But the government gave them all immunity, so nothing can be done here. I hope that isn't the case for these people as well.

I think we are going to see more cases of this. The government let companies do too much damage to the land, and we are going to pay for it, with our health.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Its all about money. Screw the environment and Mr. and Mrs. Smith who live down the street. Sad.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Not so much about the money but the power the money buys. As stated before this is an epidemic here in the states and around the world I am willing to bet. In the small town of Trinidad Colorado they have high cancer rates. My mother lived and died there. She was killed by a stage 4 brain tumor at the age of 74. High fracting area. Pioneer, Halliburton, XTO may be some names some others might recognize out there.

We have let the corporations lie to us. We have let the corporations destroy our land, our families, and our lives.
A corporation cares for nothing but the bottom line. What's profitable and what's not. Here in America they have rights like individuals. Money has a voice here as well and the corporations have the most money. This gives them the biggest voice.

Remember how we teach our children to share? To show compassion? To accept others as they are? Only for them to grow up and join the corporate world and learn that we were hypocrites. We must understand that we live in corporate society. A corporate society destroys the very best of what it means to be human. The things that set us apart. Greed and destroying the competition. Being better than everyone else is what we should be teaching our children to be successful in this world we live in now. If this is how one defines success.

I will not teach my child to be a great corporate puppet. I will teach him to be a good man by example and deed. Compassion, sharing, and acceptance will be the standard and it is my hope others are doing the same and maybe someday our combined efforts can change the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join