It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspended Coffee......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thought this was such a heartwarming story, & checked with snopes & found out its true.....

"This story will warm you better than a coffee on a cold winter day:

"We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we're approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter:

'Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended'

They pay for their order, take the two and leave. I ask my friend:

'What are those 'suspended' coffees?'

'Wait for it and you will see.'

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers — three for them and four 'suspended'. While I still wonder what's the deal with those 'suspended' coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks 'Do you have a suspended coffee?'

It's simple — people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.
Read more at www.snopes.com...
The origins of the story are interesting. They say it's an Italian tradition started after the war, when men had lost everything.....I wonder what would happen at my local diner if I run in & say I want to suspend a coffee??? Probably won't know what I'm talking about!! It will be fun to do, & perfect time of year to do a little something for someone......

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Awesome story!! More should do things that are so small that might be huge to someone else.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Im2keul

Awesome story!! More should do things that are so small that might be huge to someone else.

Today is the first time in my life that I heard the term "suspended coffee". I'm glad I took the time to read the little story....just seemed like the perfect time of year to even help out in the smallest way.........just seems right. A little shocked I've never heard about this though.....
edit on 11/17/13 by j.r.c.b. because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Acts of kindness still exist in some places, and it was wonderful to read about this one, OP. I have twice been delighted with receiving free coffee and food by someone who left a few hundred dollars at the cash to pay for people who would follow. (I just wish someone would do the same at the grocery store, sigh.)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Stories like this make me proud to be a human being.

Wish there were more like them. We could certainly use them today...

Maybe we should all go out and create our own "proud to be a human being" story. I think I'll try and create one or two of my own this week. I know I haven't done nearly enough in that regard lately. Thanks for reminding me.

Wish me luck...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

theres still hope for humankind yet thanks op im glad i clicked your thread

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

aboutface
Acts of kindness still exist in some places, and it was wonderful to read about this one, OP. I have twice been delighted with receiving free coffee and food by someone who left a few hundred dollars at the cash to pay for people who would follow. (I just wish someone would do the same at the grocery store, sigh.)

Now that you mention it, I was witness to this really large tattood man, who offered to pay the poor couples final tally at the local mart, that was in front of him, on Friday! He said, "just thought I'd get some of my karma going on the good side, before the end, God knows I done enough bad in the past." The couple had a little one with them, they were so thankful.....it was very inspiring....

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yes, this story warms my heart and makes me proud to be a human...

But then there is this "other" human side of me that makes me
want to go into a Porsche dealership and ask if they have a "suspended"
911 turbo Carrera....in midnight blue...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Whew......I thought that South America may be suspending our coffee exports for a while. I had an eery feeling in my gut.

Nice story.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Riffrafter

Stories like this make me proud to be a human being.

Wish there were more like them. We could certainly use them today...

Maybe we should all go out and create our own "proud to be a human being" story. I think I'll try and create one or two of my own this week. I know I haven't done nearly enough in that regard lately. Thanks for reminding me.

Wish me luck...

If you think about it, we've probably all helped someone out at some point like that & just don't remember.....I wish you luck, & I'm gonna try it out myself this week.....it's probably been too long if I can't remember

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

rickymouse
Whew......I thought that South America may be suspending our coffee exports for a while. I had an eery feeling in my gut.

Nice story.

Lol......hope that never happens! I need my coffee or I can't function

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

rival
Yes, this story warms my heart and makes me proud to be a human...

But then there is this "other" human side of me that makes me
want to go into a Porsche dealership and ask if they have a "suspended"
911 turbo Carrera....in midnight blue...

LMAO!

And posts like yours make me proud to be a human being too!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

j.r.c.b.

Im2keul

Today is the first time in my life that I heard the term "suspended coffee". I'm glad I took the time to read the little story....just seemed like the perfect time of year to even help out in the smallest way.........just seems right. A little shocked I've never heard about this though.....
edit on 11/17/13 by j.r.c.b. because: Spelling

I too never heard of this, however I do like the idea of paying forward.
I do try when I can, I stop for people on side the road, and add when they seem short at the check out.
We need to unite a world where we all care for one another a little more than we do now.

Part of me is sad that this is just a lousy cup of coffee, we should all be better.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Im2keul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Good way for the company to get money from nothing. Even if they're absolutely honest and honor every single "suspended item", chances are that more people pay for them than people actually receiving them.
Like those little sad eyes of a starving African child. I mean, you're totally doing something good by giving money to some random companies ... because helping people is good and stuff. Works every time.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Marsupilami

I sort of agree with you regarding a surplus of suspended coffees. So, with that in mind, i think i'll stick with the grocery store line. I've given coupons to people in front of me that had the right items. I've also paid for thing that weren't mine but had gotten rung up by mistake.

But karma can be anywhere. Letting a tired woman gave a seat on the subway. Hold the door open at the UPS store for the frantic man with the 7 boxes.

See a need wherever you go, and fill it.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
perfect place for this song.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

j.r.c.b.
Thought this was such a heartwarming story, & checked with snopes & found out its true.....

"This story will warm you better than a coffee on a cold winter day:

"We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we're approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter:

'Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended'

They pay for their order, take the two and leave. I ask my friend:

'What are those 'suspended' coffees?'

'Wait for it and you will see.'

Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers — three for them and four 'suspended'. While I still wonder what's the deal with those 'suspended' coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks 'Do you have a suspended coffee?'

It's simple — people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal.
Read more at www.snopes.com...
The origins of the story are interesting. They say it's an Italian tradition started after the war, when men had lost everything.....I wonder what would happen at my local diner if I run in & say I want to suspend a coffee??? Probably won't know what I'm talking about!! It will be fun to do, & perfect time of year to do a little something for someone......

I am doing that next chance I get even if the person serving has no clue. Ill explain it because that's awesome.

I'd love to see that take off here.

Cheers for an awesome story.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Marsupilami
Good way for the company to get money from nothing. Even if they're absolutely honest and honor every single "suspended item", chances are that more people pay for them than people actually receiving them.
Like those little sad eyes of a starving African child. I mean, you're totally doing something good by giving money to some random companies ... because helping people is good and stuff. Works every time.

Absolutely see your point...I would only leave it to trusted employees/managers(friends), who we know well in town, at a few local places........great point!

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Me too! I wanna know if some of our locals, working down at the local coffee shop, have heard of this, so I can't wait to bring it up...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

oh what a sweet thing.

so good to read some People do pay it forward.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join