It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Fires on Van Full of kids (Viral Video)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
What infantile amped up cops. They must be young.. silly. We need staties with an older persons patience and forethought. The kind of down adn dirty dog meanness that only comes from being old. Old like me.

In this situation.. Id be "LazyYetSmartOlderCop". Wanna be a dope, act hard, drive off, and not listen to instruction? I wont shoot at your dumb ass and the van full of little dopes and dumbasses. Im sure as hell not chasing your minivan. A car chase like that would not only be pathetic.. but embarassing. I already have your name, plate, and home address. I have the name of Dope Jr. Ill have swat bust in yout home right about dinner time.Make sure its NOT fast food.. I hate fast food. Itll be like rope a dope Christmas morning... I wont shoot your poodle if you have some dessert I can sample while youre being hog tied even. Im all magnanimous and stuff like that...

^^^ is why Im NOT a cop...

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

terriblyvexed
The cop who fired was 5 foot away and there was no damage to the van!

I doubt even cops are that bad of shots, he aimed low probably the tires, no intent to kill.

That would make him about average, based on my experiences with police outside the specialty teams.

You ought to see these guys at the range. It's a combination of stupid, showoff, bad, and dangerous. Never, ever believe the line about how these guys are specially trained and thus better than you at using a firearm. Few of them are ever, have ever, or will ever be in a live shoot, and their range tests are not what I would call challenging.

eta:

Tires are pretty resistant to sidearm fire. Worse, if the vehicle gets any range on you, you will be firing fairly flat shots at smooth pavement and then you can easily bounce one into traffic on the other side of the median. It's pretty hazardous to bystanders. Sort of like firing at something on a body of water.
edit on 18-11-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I agree with you. I'm all for shaming the cops who do bad things, but this isn't the case. The cop acted reasonably, even after her thug of a son got out of the car. (Either a thug, insane or a druggie as no sane person gets out of the car to start crap with a cop.)

The woman is to blame for all of this, it's unfortunate that HER idiocy put her children at risk.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by opethPA

I agree with you. I'm all for shaming the cops who do bad things, but this isn't the case. The cop acted reasonably, even after her thug of a son got out of the car. (Either a thug, insane or a druggie as no sane person gets out of the car to start crap with a cop.)

The woman is to blame for all of this, it's unfortunate that HER idiocy put her children at risk.

Jokes aside, the officer knew from 2 seconds interaction with the thug son.. he was a pretty pathetic thug and was NO threat. This is a case of overreaction from the cop.. and idiocy/ignorance/fear/whatever from the woman and her son. The officer MUST be held to a higher standard because HE is upholding the law and has a license to use that method of killing ( gun) and kill a threat. A real threat. When sane folks are holding a firearm in this situation, they dont fire. This wasnt a case of life or death.. or any real threat to the officer. No sane person gets out of the car to start crap with an officer? Yep.. but he was all bluff. The majority of people you see are one one end or the other of the insane-o graph anyway. An armed rep of the law is supposed to be able to discern the threat level. If a trooper cant make that determination, he does not need to be a trooper. At some point officers need to realize that just because you have a gun doesnt mean you shoot it.. and if you do, you should be able to determine the threat level of WHAT/WHO you are shooting at before even pulling your weapon. There is a sanctity to life.. if the life of a thug or the life of a saint.. and shooting in this instance shows just what he thinks of those lives : expendable.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

In their (sort of) defense, you really don't know who the people in the car are. And if you let it devolve into a shouting match with someone outside the vehicle, it has MORE of a propensity to go downhill, since it's a tendency of people to get themselves emotionally worked up and then act out in such a way you'll have to deal with it even more harshly. So in an odd way, it pays to keep people in the vehicle in one sense, as it tends to keep the thing contained. The flip side is that you don't know what's IN the vehicle.

So if I was having to deal with you, if I thought you weren't likely to be a threat, I'd keep you in the vehicle, and if you came out I'd put you back IN the vehicle. Just to keep you from spinning up and doing something loony I'd have to stomp later. If I thought you might be trouble, I'd get you out and tripod you or zipcuff you until I had a chance to do a better inspection.

At least from a military-stopping-a-vehicle in a war zone point of view. I assume cops act similarly in terms of thought processes.

What I object to is the cop letting fly with a firearm in that environment for no more reason that than the car is fleeing. But that's a thing cops do, it's like dogs, if you're running away they get all shooty even if you're not running from THEM. Or not RUNNING from them. Thus do you get things like cops letting fly at the wrong vehicles in LA, or this. Or shooting people who were jogging by and the cop thought something was going on and look someone's running bang bang. Or in situations where there's a shooter in a building and the cops start shooting at people trying to run out. I'm not sure if they're training them to shoot at people unassing a situation or it's just adrenalin. Bad idea either way.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Bedlam

What I object to is the cop letting fly with a firearm in that environment for no more reason that than the car is fleeing. But that's a thing cops do, it's like dogs, if you're running away they get all shooty even if you're not running from THEM. Or not RUNNING from them. Thus do you get things like cops letting fly at the wrong vehicles in LA, or this. Or shooting people who were jogging by and the cop thought something was going on and look someone's running bang bang. Or in situations where there's a shooter in a building and the cops start shooting at people trying to run out. I'm not sure if they're training them to shoot at people unassing a situation or it's just adrenalin. Bad idea either way.

Right there.

I think its a matter of hubris on the police officers part and the new militarized "cop culture" that we see so many examples of this so very recently. They were NOT in a war zone.. it is a routine traffic stop involving a foolish woman and her entitled child. Regardless of how the streets of Averagetown USA are being compared to combat zones.. they arent. Shiny badge syndrome inevitably raises its head. Me ( the privilaged and well armed "cop class" versus you.. potential terrorist. )That bitch didnt stop when ordered and that brat got out of the car chest puffing.. lets treat it like a roadside bomb check in Fallujah!! How DARE these "people" behave in such a way to special ME with a gun! Yee Haw! perfect insanity....

" As for the pleasure in hubris, its cause is this: men think that by ill-treating others they make their own superiority the greater." Or

The characteristic of excessive confidence or arrogance, which leads a person to believe that he or she may do no wrong. The overwhelming pride caused by hubris is often considered a flaw in character. While these hubris feelings are often justified, they often cause irrational and harmful behavior.
Not all "cops" obviously, but given my previous career Ive certainly seen too many shining examples. The "cop" in many instances is a privilaged class of idiot.. unlike we common idiots.

edit on 18-11-2013 by Advantage because: Im tired, old, and I cant type... shaddup.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Until there's some sort of negative feedback applied, it'll just run open loop, though.

And given the political power of the cop unions, until enough people spook the politicos that the unions might not be able to buy them back into their position, nothing will happen at all. Especially in a pro-union government, anything FOP and company wants they're going to end up with.

What would be entertaining would be some sort of fed agency on the level with JCAHO or the like that could require examination and certification of individual LEOs before they could be employed as officers.

They could send 'secret Santa' civilians into interactions with cops, when the cops did something like that, bang, decertification. Sorry, officer, you just lost your license. We'll let you re-apply in two years.

I could see really great results. Send in an examiner to ask for a complaint form. He gets the smack to the head, flashes his card, they come in and shut down the precinct, and decertify them. Sorry, you're no longer a cop and won't be, ever again. Hit the bricks. Let the city worry about how they deal with it. It wouldn't take ANY time and that sort of behavior would end.

eta: it would get past the argument that you can't have a federal agency enforcing state law. Don't need to with a JCAHO sort of licensing commission. JCAHO looks at a hospital's written policy, state law and federal law, and they have their own policy requirements. Fail to meet them, and they de-certify you. The only "law" that's needed is one requiring certification from the examining agency. After that, it's not law, it's civil regulation. If it's not written policy for a LEO to beat handcuffed prisoners, then if one does that, decertification occurs. If it's not state law to shoot at vehicles on a crowded highway when you're enforcing a traffic infraction, then the shooter gets decertified. If it's policy or law that his compadres have a duty to restrain (they do), then all his buddies are on the street too. THAT'S how you get them to police each other. If you're in a dogpile that gets examined by the certification board and if Joe beat the teeth out of someone for backsassing him, and that's not policy then YOU will lose YOUR job too. Goes a long way towards you stopping Joe instead of cheering him.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

The progressive mindset hard at work.......I hate to tell ya you reap what you sow. If a kid was shot it would only rest on the mother and that scum bag 14 year old of hers.

This is the cold hard truth. They are scum bags and reaped what they sowed. Hopefully she will never see her kids again. This is the only bright side to this story.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
When the first cop called for back-up, what was the reason given for needing backup, I wonder? Depending on what sort of assistance was requested, the 2nd officer can't be known for certainty to be over-reacting by shooting. Just curious as to where the communication broke down.
I don't normally take the cops side on much of anything but the woman brought every bit of this on herself.
edit on 19-11-2013 by whitewave because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Advantage
The characteristic of excessive confidence or arrogance, which leads a person to believe that he or she may do no wrong.

You get that with narcissistic personality disorder, especially when combined with a high anti-social index. It correlates with believing you are always in the right, with being personally offended when your orders are ignored, with violent reactions to disobedience. Also correlates with steroid use, animal abuse and wife beating.

Oddly enough, if you read the fine print on the more popular psych screening tools they use to grade your cop-worthiness, they're selecting for narcissism and anti-social indices. I used to have an advertising slick from one of these guys that was a hoot in itself - all sorts of knee-jerk inducing stuff like "You don't want an Andy Griffith on the streets!" Supposedly the screening tool would tell you who would make a great cop - and what they were screening for as a positive indicator was npd and anti-social behavior.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I feel sorry for any person of any age who would not defend their mother against anything or anyone. Stupid maybe but, it would be shameful not to and I'd rather be stupid, beaten, tazed, or dead than to just watch someone manhandle my mother.

And any creature on this Earth that has ever called himself Irish, or Mexican should feel the same as I.

The rest of you, well...you just not Irish or Mexican...sorry, you would not understand.

The Rat.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Looks to me like the militarized LE did their training in Iraq & Afghanistan and 15 miles over the speed limit is grounds for taking out an American family out for a Sunday drive.

Seeing LE attacking the van with their batons hammering pieces of the van off and then escalating the attack with gunfire against unarmed citizens is a just as disturbing as any war video. I wondered when they were going to pull the kid out and behead him for daring to defend his mother.

Like the Kings soldiers in the past who charged taxes for their pension funds to pass on their roads. Today's revenue collectors are not much different - they hide out like the robber barons of the old world and rob you just the same. Should you resist they will take all your belongings and add them to their pension fund because they are the good guys.

They never have enough in their budgets to show up other than to take a report, but when one of them dies they always have enough to throw a multimillion dollar parade.

Go ahead and delete again if you feel the need to hide the truth.
edit on 11/19/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Fire him. Completely reckless, absurd, unconscionable behavior. He shows up at the last minute to a scene where deadly force was CLEARLY not justified and just starts shooting. I don't care if he was aiming for the tires. Those of us in the know scoff at people that suggest you shoot a leg.

He clearly was not aware of the situation, and if he was, it would only serve to make him look more criminal.

Even if it was a lone occupant, lethal force was in no way reasonable. Considering it was a van full of kids...

The mother is a dirtbag. She deserves to have the book thrown at her. The kid that hopped out needs to be punished. The officer that initiated the stop was a complete candy ass and needs to be retrained. He should have taken that woman to the ground the second she started heading back to the door. Of course a bunch of anti cop morons would hop all over that, but this is a PRIME example why police are authorized to step up with the use of force continuum. His failure to stop her from reentering the vehicle put countless lives at risk.

All he had to do was taze that crazy bitch and things would have been WAY smoother. WAY safer. Zap, drop, cuffs and done. Kid comes at him after he zapped the Mom and he's in way better shape to end that too.

Interesting vid. You see a cop too scared to do the right thing, and a cop too dumb to keep it in the holster.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Plenty of blame all around.
The Mom should have just took the ticket and went on with her day. WTH did she think they were going to do when she ran? Just say, "Oh well, we'll let her go" ?
The cop did show some restraint by not tasering the 14 yr old right off, even though he could have. Try that on some cops, out comes the .40, not the taser. And they Will pull the trigger. But, busting the window out like that with all those kids inside? THEN, there's the cop who starts popping off rounds without knowing the full story.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'll reiterate what I said in another thread...

The woman is nuts, and she was at fault for everything including endangering her children.
The cop was in the right because she is clearly nuts, she could have driven off a cliff, crashed somewhere, or ended up in a collision in a pursuit.
He was shooting at the tires which I believe deflated, and that would not have harmed any of the children, and even if it did by sheer miracle, it's better than the possible alternative outcome.

In the end, the cop did the right thing in preventing the situation from escalating further. Any investigation should be done on that mother because she clearly endangered her children and the result should consider child protective services.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Spoken like a good, true domesticated human. Well done Earth citizen # HT4647-)p

Yeah the mom is crazy, we get that. You love the officer, understood. Take kids ways from parents, we hear yeah.

Good for you, pat on the back.

Like I said if your not Irish or Mexican, sorry, but you just can't understand. Does a dog understand a wolf, a bird in a cage an eagle?

No reiteration needed, Sate good, crazy people bad. I get it.

The Rat.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

TucoTheRat
The rest of you, well...you just not Irish or Mexican...sorry, you would not understand.

Because I guess mothers and familial love don't exist outside of Mexico and Ireland.

-Peace-
edit on 19-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 19-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: 'Nother Typer

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

This whole damn world has gone all wierd and this is just the beginning.

Not one moment of sanity involved on either side from top to bottom.

The video looks like a scene from some high profile Sci Fi B movie
about a world where insanity is the norm.

Unbelievable.

SnF
edit on 19-11-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What happened to stop strips/road blocks? They could've caught her down the road. What if they had shot/killed her, would it have been legally justified? The son rushed the cop so who knows.

Either way I'm not liking what's coming from my southern neighbor. That poor man who got anally probed was in New Mexico now this mom/kids are treated like public enemy #1.

I'm in southern CO, New Mexico is just a short drive away. We see lots of cops/speed traps whenever we go down there so we're very careful, yet New Mexicans drive like absolute maniacs when they hit our stretch of CO highway.

New Mexico has a serious gang problem even in small towns, they border Mexico and now that neighboring CO has legalized a certain plant I think LE in New Mexico is a tad bit nervous. Not a good place to mess around and act stupid. I know I won't be going down there with my CO plates. In fact I'm getting so I don't think it's wise to venture too far from my secluded rural southern CO home ever.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I want someone to logically show me how the following are wrong:

1. The woman caused and escalated the problem
2. The initial officer did nothing wrong and was justified in pulling out his tazer as a deterrent when the kid came at him.
3. The cop that showed up last and shot didn't have all the facts thus , much like the kid above , he made a visceral albeit wrong decision.

I'm sure the same people will point out Im a good citizen of the state vs actually seeing what the video shows. The same people will claim this is just another case of police brutality and how they should have just let her go because she is just an innocent woman with a van full of kids who was only pulled over for speeding. Being blind to reality works both ways, not all COPS are good and not all citizens are law abiding.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because the video clearly shows the woman made 4-5 bad choices, put her children at risk and in general acted like a fool then the last cop didn't have all the facts in responding.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join