It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Fires on Van Full of kids (Viral Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Valid points. But your take on the woman's perspective, I find a little thin (with all due respect, just my opinion), in that what threat did the officer present when he initially pulled her over? I would buy into the "fear of police brutality" argument more if he had smashed her windows and pulled her out of the car when he made the initial stop (as I've observed in other videos of police brutality that are out there)...but he didn't. She only adds to her suspicious behavior, not demonstrating fear, by driving away.

edit on 17-11-2013 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

FatherStacks

Valid points. But your take on the woman's perspective, I find a little thin (with all due respect, just my opinion), in that what threat did the officer present when he initially pulled her over? I would buy into the "fear of police brutality" argument more if he had smashed her windows and pulled her out of the car when he made the initial stop as I've observed in other videos that are out there...but he didn't. She only adds to her suspicious behavior, not demonstrating fear, by driving away.

From the outside looking in you're correct; however you do not know her history. What if she has personally been victimized by police who were oh so nice at first? I have no clue what prompted her to leave. Hell, she could think she makes a small run for it, will get beat up and sue the crap out of them. Until the facts come out which more than likely they won't we won't no anything beyond what we see here.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

From the outside looking in you're correct; however you do not know her history. What if she has personally been victimized by police who were oh so nice at first? I have no clue what prompted her to leave. Hell, she could think she makes a small run for it, will get beat up and sue the crap out of them. Until the facts come out which more than likely they won't we won't no anything beyond what we see here.

Perhaps that is true and should be considered. Yet that isn't on the tape (what we have to draw conclusions from) and would just be speculation. The lawyers are going to have fun with this one in court.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Afternoon,

I almost posted this one an hour or so before you did but after watching the clip, changed my mind.
While anyone familiar with my posts knows I have no love for the police state, in this instance, I have no dog to root for in this fight.
The woman acted stupid.
The son acted foolish.
Wyatt Earp acted like a maniac.
I can not defend her behavior.
I can not defend the son's reaction although I understand it.
I definitely can not defend opening fire on a van full of children when no imminant threat to life or limb is present.
This is just what happens when "stupid people decide to throw a party".
Everyone loses.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I have friends who have been ramrodded by a cop, beaten, killed, and there was no way I was going to stick around for that roid freak to kill my family. I was just trying to drive to a safe location where there would be witnesses, and he assaulted me, so what was I supposed to think when he got rough and three more pit bulls in uniform showed up?! I was scared for my life and that's all that happened!

The police are turning citizens paranoid, and as has been said, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

This is a good point. People have come to at once, fear and loathe cops. When you have a mixture of the two, things start becoming volatile. Add to that, cops are representative of the system they work for. People do NOT trust the system, because the system has proven itself unworthy of ANY trust. Therefore, a lot of fear, bitterness, and hatred get projected on the police. Then when you have a percentage of cops who validate what is already projected on them by the public. They solidify those feelings.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

While the mother was uncooperative, I saw the police office attending to the situation quite badly, and even escalating the issue.

The whole ordeal was over a TRAFFIC violation.
No 'real' crimes were committed until the officer gave cause for them to occur.

Additionally, what is shattering the passenger side window where a child is, and breaking off the passenger mirror going to accomplish but to terrify someone with their children even more?

True, the woman should have complied from the very beginning, but, the officer unnecessarily escalated the situation beyond what was needed.

On the second stop, the officer should have called for assistance to block the woman, and waited until assistance arrived before continuing. [ /quote]

When she drove off that was a crime!

The cop could have arrested her at that time, yet he chose to talk with her.

He was being very cool for the situation.

The boy attacked him he went after him that's why he was on the boys side of the vehicle.

When she tried to take off again she became a danger to the public! The cops screamed to unlock the doors, they tried to break in to prevent a chase, aka danger to the public.

The other cops showed up with probably no more knowledge than someone ran. There is no limit to reasons why someone would run from a traffic stop, and I'm sure most are considered a danger to the public.

The cop who fired was 5 foot away and there was no damage to the van!

I doubt even cops are that bad of shots, he aimed low probably the tires, no intent to kill.

The cops did their job based on the reckless and violent behavior of people in a potentially deadly vehicle.

edit on 17-11-2013 by terriblyvexed because: (no reason given)

My bad for the post I didn't realize I was typing in the quote.
edit on 17-11-2013 by terriblyvexed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I'd say the big mistake here was made by the cop smashing the car window, which was exactly when the mother drove off. That was also what triggered the shooting cop's reaction. He ran into a violent scene and reacted accordingly.

On the other hand though, the cop trying to open the door might have feared that the 14 year old (who had already charged him) was armed inside the car and about to shoot him through the window. Maybe they were tinted windows, or there was glare, and he couldn't see well through the glass. So he panicked and broke the glass in order to see what was happening inside the car.

soulwaxer
edit on 17-11-2013 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

Mods: for some reason I can't type the word w.i.n.d.o.w. It shows up as "_"
edit on 17-11-2013 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Why did he not take the keys when he had the chance to. Stupid carry on that!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
5 kids in the car? Are they all hers?
Given her actions in refusing to accept a ticket and driving away then refusing to submit to arrest she has no business trying to raise kids at all.
I don't blame the son for trying to protect his mother, that's usually a good thing (but not always)
The cop looked to be aiming for the tires though that might have been a bad call.
I blame the woman for speeding, resisting arrest, fleeing the scene and endangering her kids' lives.
I wonder what her excuse was for all that?

I'd like to see any of you criticizing the cops on this to try dealing with this woman.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

As bad as that situation turned out to be there was no reason what so ever to shoot at the moving minivan. Maybe I'd accept the tires were the target but knowing there are kids in there means you can't shoot. First of all it's a minivan that isn't going very far, follow it and radio ahead for spikes, but turns out she turned herself in no long after her great escape.

No one wants to be that guy who shoot and killed a child, especially when the situation can end with no bloodshed.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'd be interested to see the arrest report. As someone mentioned, it seemed like she had something to hide. That could explain why she drove away the first time before things were getting out of hand. Normal people with nothing to hide don't generally do that.
I think she was trafficking illegal towels by the looks of the roof of the van

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

While the mother was uncooperative, I saw the police office attending to the situation quite badly, and even escalating the issue.

The " real crime" of resisting arrest and fleeing and evading were committed by the woman before the cop did anything to "escalate the issue". I totally disagree with police brutality and excessive force, but, when an individual tries to flee from a speeding ticket it is time to be a little more forceful. What if she had the van rigged to cause another Oklahoma bombing? What if the children were really kidnapped and being held against their will? In this case I feel that officers acted according the situation. Even the officer firing the gun is not totally wrong in my mind, although I do think he could have used better judgement.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

boncho

Xquizit
The police officers who drew his gun and shot at the vehicle showed up as the van sped off the second time. Maybe he wasn't aware that there were children in the vehicle. A lack of proper communication is obviously at fault here.

If he has to be told not to shoot at a van to which he has no clue who is inside, than it is more than a communication problem.

How is he to know there isn't a kidnapping victim in it? Just shoot cause it sped away from police? This is police logic now. "Running away from me deserves deadly force"

You are completely right. I should have into more detail, but was out the door

Well said

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
When I think in terms of this volatile situation which went badly fast and then think of my precious 14 yro... NO WAY would I allow my child to get involved!!! THAT was the part of this story in the first place that scared me worst. The cop could have drawn on the boy, and this could have been another of those endings we have been reading recently.

As a Mom, WAS THE LADY on crack!!! What on earth was she thinking??? I know that area and there was nowhere to go in the first place. If she was paranoid and felt in fear for her life I can see running but not out in the middle of the NM boondocks.

Those poor poor children! PTSD

The woman must have been fleeing for some reason such as priors or holding drugs.

Ok this is a horrible thread and I am out!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thats true swills but out there they were probably the only cops between that area and Albuquerque. I thought about the spikes too, but she would end up off a high cliff into the Rio Grand. This whole story stinks to high heavens!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Okay, the woman was wrong, the 14yr old kid wrong. They deserved to be arrested for not complying with officers orders.

However, a cop shooting at the back of the van (regardless of whether or not he knew kids were in it) should be criminal. She did not use the van as a weapon nor was a weapon pulled on officers. The cop that shot without a weapon being used or drawn should be removed from duty FOREVER!

Personally I am calling the cop shop where this happened and telling them the cop is a piece of crap. WTF is going on in New Mexico anyway?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

colddeadhands

AliceBleachWhite

The " real crime" of resisting arrest and fleeing and evading were committed by the woman before the cop did anything to "escalate the issue". I totally disagree with police brutality and excessive force, but, when an individual tries to flee from a speeding ticket it is time to be a little more forceful. What if she had the van rigged to cause another Oklahoma bombing? What if the children were really kidnapped and being held against their will? In this case I feel that officers acted according the situation. Even the officer firing the gun is not totally wrong in my mind, although I do think he could have used better judgement.

You are an idiot with no comprehension of reality. Police are only allowed to use a gun to defend themselves or another from a life threatening situation. I think there is now enough "proof" on the net about just how f'ed up New Mexico cops seem to be....

The cop that shot should be fired immediate!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

sageturkey
She's an idiot for doing 71 in a 55, she's an idiot for pulling away from the traffic stop. Her son is an idiot for getting out and trying to start a fight with the cops. The cop who fired on the vehicle is an idiot for using deadly force where none was warranted.
Stupidity Abounds...

THIS! They are all idiots except for any younger children. Didn't watch the video so don't know the ages of the children.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
For anyone interested.....The Taos News ... has an update about her arraignment.

The 14yr.old is free and she is free on an unsecured 10,000.00 bond [10%]

The judge said the charges against the boy were 'a mystery'

Defense painted the pic that she fled because she was afraid for her children.

One of the charges is also possession of drug paraphernalia [found in the van]

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The cops were wrong but this woman was a moron.
She should be charged with endangerment herself.

Why do these morons end up as parents.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join