It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acrimony anyone? Loyal soilder? Stay until you find someone? OK!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"I will always treasure the four years that I have spent with President Bush and with the wonderful men and women of the Department of State," Powell told reporters. "I think we've accomplished a great deal."

Powell said he expects "to act fully as secretary of state until the day that I do leave. I expect that will be a number of weeks or a month or two."

WRONG !!! In what seemed 10 seconds later.....

"The secretary of State is America's face to the world," Bush said. "And in Dr. Rice, the world will see the strength, the grace and the decency of our country."

As opposed to the weakness, ignorance and depravity of Colin " Don't call me Colon" Powell!?!

If ever there was a "Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord Split ya" in politics, that was it!!

Colin, you've been beyotch slapped!!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Powell's statement is still true. There is a transition period to be covered.

The announcement of Ms. Rice had been anticipated for some time now. You seem to be one of the very few taken by surprise by these events.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You can pick up the acrimony in how Bush has handled the Powell resignation. If Powell received a 1oth of the platitudes heaped on Don "Did nothing but Collect a paycheck" Evans, it would have been considered a love fest!

Of course transition was considered, but Powell's statement was a magnanimous gesture; Bush's action was a direct vilification.

I am suprised at Rice; she's the most unqualified appointment he could have gone for, in every way except one - she'll swear to whatever he says.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
If ever there was a "Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord Split ya" in politics, that was it!!

For Sure!

Did you catch his resignation speech? BBC Page with Video Link

He used the word "fulsom" to describe the "talks" with Bush. I heard someone say look it up.

Check out the definition. It's classic diplomatic double talk. Did he mean it as "copious" or did he mean the correct definition: "Offensively flattering or insincere; Offensive to the taste or sensibilities"?

Powell is a pretty smart guy.

I don't expect to hear any gossip from him as he moves into corporate boardrooms.

If he gets too upity for the neocons I'm sure they can find use for such a distinguished general... in say... Iraq.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Of course transition was considered, but Powell's statement was a magnanimous gesture; Bush's action was a direct vilification.

You've got to learn Washington-speak and the pecking order, BT. Powell stood to lose a lot if he thumbed his nose on the way out; Bush is the boss and doesn't have to be nice.

I am suprised at Rice; she's the most unqualified appointment he could have gone for, in every way except one - she'll swear to whatever he says.

Wait till she sits down with some of those mideast potentates, and they ask her where her burka is.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   

...she'll swear to whatever he says.

Too bad she won't swear to whatever she says...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Powell stood to lose a lot if he thumbed his nose on the way out; Bush is the boss and doesn't have to be nice.

I've let enough people go during the Bush definition of an economic "boom"; it's called class; disagreements are secondary to acknowledging, as a de facto good reference, faithful service.

I disagree on Powell going high road: his market value was sky high prior to joining Team Rove, it plummetted with the deaf/dumb/blind soilder act, and only climbed again with him being perceived as the only voice of reason, the voice of dissent.
He's still not out the door - his market value would go through the roof with a clear slap at the idealouges making wrong policy moves.

DeltaChaos:
Too bad she won't swear to whatever she says...

ZIIINNNNGGG!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Bout time, Bush could appoint Clinton to be Sec of State and you would have said that he was only pandering to the "good ole boys" from down in Arkansas. Face it, you hate Bush and anything he does will get a negative response from you.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You're incapable of rational thought, no matter how much glaring evidence confronts you, and everything he does will get a positive response from you.

I'd have zero qualms over taking a vote on which of the latter two assertions are true.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No actually, I don't agree with everything that Bush has done. I am not particularly happy about the partriot act. I don't like giving up personal freedoms in the name of security. I am more anti-Kerry than I am pro-bush. I am actually more liberal on a lot of issues, like Gay civil unions. I think that anyone who has a partner should have the same rights that I have being married. I don't want to do away with all abortions. I think that there are instances where an abortion is appropriate. I favor flag burning, It's your right to do that, I just don't like it, but I respect your right to do it, if you want.

new topics

top topics

join