It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands rally in Australia against climate change

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

trees absorb carbon dioxide and money doesn't.

they seem to be going out all of this the wrong way... they come up with some BS money spinner that doesn't do anything except tax the people who are emitting the most carbon dioxide and that doesn't fix the problem.

all they needed to do was grant Greening Australia more money to continue planting trees.

stupid greedy government.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Greening Australia

^good organisation.

the govt suck. They actually took away some funding from the above organisation which is predominantly volunteer anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
I did a haphazard search for this story, so I apologize if this has already been posted.

Tens of thousand of Australians have turned out for climate change rallies across the nation, calling on the Abbott Government to keep the carbon tax.

Organisers say about 60,000 participated at the rallies, which were held in capital cities and more than 130 towns and regional centres.

Emergency workers played a significant role in warning about the dangers of unchecked global warming, while Labor and Greens politicians, along with climate scientists, also participated.

abc.net.au

My favorite part of the article was this comment directed at the climate change deniers:

"There is no sceptic at the end of a fire hose," said Peter Marshall, secretary of the United Firefighters Union.

And here's another comment from a fellow fiery:

In Brisbane, where an estimated 4,000 people came together, firefighter Dean McNulty spoke of the huge concern climate change posed to his colleagues, who battle natural disasters from the front line.

"To firefighters, it is not just numbers and statistics, it is very real."

First and foremost I congratulate all those who participated. Climate changed has happened before and will happen again, only this time our activities will accelerate the process.

The end of the Ice age, the Permian extinction, these events may have taken an age to have an effect, but the end results were nothing less than catastrophic. But what's different this time is that billions of people are making a bad situation worse with the aid of fossil fuels, which was not a problem in the ice age. Climate change could be a slow agonizing disaster-which is unfathomable in our fast paced world where everything is expected to happen overnight.

However I don't believe a tax is the answer. There is a number of people out there with the funds and resources to make alternative energies the norm, but sadly these people only use their money to make more money. Something needs to be done, but we're going to need everybody on board.

I will leave you with an image from the source that perfectly sums up the situation.

New report lays climate change blame with fossil fuels industry A report released on Friday highlights that two thirds of carbon emissions are made by just 90 companies - the majority of which are fossil fuel firms including BP, Shell and Exxon Mobil, have been blamed for causing the climate change crisis in a new study carried out by the US-based Climate Accountability Institute.

But can we really blame climate change on fossil fuel providers alone - aren't the public and government responsible too?

It supports these claims with calculations that suggest this group is responsible for the equivalent of 914 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide - 63% of all industrial carbon dioxide and methane emissions between 1751 and 2010.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join