It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

How about posting directions for the bullion gravy? That could be helpful for a lot of people in a pinch.

There are many many ways to stretch the dollar. It is always less expensive to stock up on basics and do from scratch. And many many ways to combine foods are available. Tips like this are always helpful.

But no matter what anyone says, $180 for food is not a lot. My disabled brother gets $141 per month. And that is meant to supplement your food funds. It is not meant to be the sole source of it. Too many people have to live off of those funds alone.

In my opinion, it is a sad state of affairs when people quibble over the possible misuse of dollars when we can look around us and see those in charge squandering Billions. Time for a reality check, I think.

BT

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Balogna is quite expensive nowadays to me, lol for as little as you can get hotdogs for and they are pretty much the same thing and you get more out of them. I hate both horribly but my kids like the hotdogs. LOL.

Truthfully I'm applauding the OP for buying actual food at all at this point cause it seems so many people sell them for drug and alcohol money or whatever expense they think is more important than food. So at least there's that. He bought food. Good for him.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

onequestion
Who do you people think you are telling this person how to shop with their food stamps?

HE came on here posting that he didn't have enough money for food.
HE came on here with pictures of the food he bought.
This is a CHAT SITE ... so obviously people are going to comment on it.
If he didn't want comments, then he shouldnt' have posted what he did.

Get off your high horse it sickens me.

GROW UP.

No 225 is not enough for a month when's the last time you bought your own food?

3 days ago.

I posted the TRUTH ... do NOT buy a pre-made Sara Lee pumpkin pie and soda when you can buy a bag of rice and a bag of beans that will last for weeks. It's just that simple. I can't afford rib eye steaks ... so I buy what will fit my budget. COMMON SENSE.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

TXTriker
When I was a kid we called bologna "round steak".

So did we. We were on 'free lunches' and welfare for three or four years.
My mother served us 'fried balogna' with tomatoes and cukes from our backyard garden.
That would be the dinner. The fried balogna was our meat.
And we ate tons of noodles. It was cheap. And drank water. It was 'free'.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Taissa
reply to post by g146541

When I was younger, it was bologna. Mom used to get a pack of it, and fry part of it for breakfast and the other for lunch. Each would get a slice or two of bologna and a piece of toast. I can't even stand the smell of bologna now.

fried boloney sandwiches, had many of those in the summer time when school was out. we also had fried potato sandwiches, scrambled eggs, fried eggs fried mackerel patties, big beans(lima beans) and neckbones.

my favorite was fried tater sandwiches, you take a potato and slice just about twice the thickness of a chip, fry it just about done as done as you would french fries or to taste, put some mayonnaise on your bread, salt and pepper to taste. man make your tongue slap your brains out to get to them.

of course lunch meat is not as cheap as it was back then.

another thing my ma use to do, was save left over mashed potatoes, we had them about three or four times a week. and make fried tater patties or what some call pancakes. except they were cooked in grease, and i mean grease not oil,and not on a gritle. she used crisco in a frying pan, and nothing beats crisco for taste. damn the fda for banning crisco.

man you never see how well your folks did until you look back. some things you hated then you miss now.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

The gravy in those jars are little more than some bouillon, flour and water, with salt and pepper.
Some add mushrooms and call it fancy.
Maybe a Tbsp. of bouillon , half cup of flour, spices and mushrooms, 1 to 2 cups of water, to consistency.
That's my basic bonehead gravy recipe!
Best of all, it's not greasy like when you use drippings!
This gravy can be modified, by adding powdered milk and water for a lighter gravy for hamburger or sausage when using chicken bouillon. Add a couple of pieces of toast or biscuits and have a meal!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Its way more than enough for food... I have said here before that when I went back to school for 1 year I got food stamps then...

they gave me 200 a month in food stamps, my kids were gone and it was just me. The first month on food stamps I only spent 120 of that 200... and I ate wonderfully...

It took me that first month to really realize how much I was getting, and I started buying lots of salads and fresh fruits and vegetables too the second month, and I still consistently had too much in food stamps! Usually about 20 to 30 dollars too much so I used the extra to give food to the homeless people in my area too...

If you shop right and cook, food stamps are plenty! If you are used to spending way more and used to purchasing a bunch of processed foods, then your right, its not enough... but then you simply have to rethink how your spending and figure it all out...

Most people in america are too used to spending way more than necessary on their food budgets, and the food companies have spoiled many people with fast quick and easy... but my friends think the food I make homemade is so much better.. to them my cooking is a special treat...

Its all a matter of time... when you don't work, you use the time you have on things like cooking in order to save money.. and when you do that, often you find its so much better...

My daughter would make this thing she invented (somewhat from the chinese...lol) she would make rice, and then scramble up 3 or 4 eggs, fry the rice and the eggs together with some sauces, adding some frozen peas and carrots to all that, and serve it up with some fruit for a lunch or dinner and this made a meal for 4 (two were children) for only a couple dollars.... in that you have a starch, vegetable, protein and fruit... for next to nothing to throw all together...

there are way too many things you can do that have great nutritional value that take very little time and very little money... I'll eat a few chicken livers spiced and baked and some tomato soup and a piece of fruit and/or salad for next to nothing as a very nice meal that's cheap and healthy...

in the kitchen you can do anything you want, have any flavor you would like... for reasonably cheap!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Also I don't understand slamming on the OP for buying 2 bottles of soda, if he drinks water 95% of the time how would you know? It's free out of the tap and mostly drinkable except in Florida, I don't recommend drinking out the tap water in Florida because their water's atrocious. So if he wants some soda sometimes who are you to say he can't buy it? now I on the other hand drink very little besides soda, I refuse to drink water I hate juice unless it is apple cider which I can only find one part of the year and OJ which I only drink maybe three times the entire week if I do buy it. And milk is disgusting. So go ahead flame me.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

All i see in that picture is POP AND PIE. You really have it rough bro.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

chadderson

All i see in that picture is POP AND PIE. You really have it rough bro.
C'mon man, everybody loves Pie.

The only thing I really question is the pretense that the OP cannot absolutely work.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Sadly you are one of the few that need the government assistance because of your specific needs, but here in my neck of the woods government assistance pay for the support of the fake nail salons, hair salons and Walmart, it also feed the under ground drug ring on EBT cards and to tell the truth I have never seen one of the welfare recipients in my very high welfare state looking hungry and neither deprived.

Churches also have a good organized service of kitchens where many can get one free meal a day, is also stores specially for those that can not afford to buy food, where they can shop for items like can goods all free.

Perhaps the state you live in is more stern when it comes to supporting the poor and needy.

I live in southern GA, God figure.

The government rather treat everybody like one size fit all that taking the resources to thin out the really needy from the squatters and abusers
edit on 17-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I don't think people are saying not to have anything sweet ever... but necessities come first for most people, then the sweets with any extra left-over, and there are ways to save money and have things that last longer!

Koolaid is sweet and much much cheaper... you can buy 10 packages of off brand koolaid for 1.00 and sugar is 2.30 here for a 5 pound bag...

that gets 10 half gallons of a sweet drink, compared to (2) two liters of soda for 2.00 and you only spend .30 cents more, but that .30 cents goes a long long way in comparison!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Or you can drink water that is healthier and sugar free. I never bought Kool-Aid for my children when they were young as I knew that it was nothing but sugar water.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

water is healthier... but I did allow my kids to have some sweets from time to time. When I let them have some koolaid I watered it down a bit more, any cakes and sweet breads I always made homemade.

My kids were never fat, ever... but they had a sweet drink or a desert from time to time also... kids expend so much energy it never seems to hurt them when its in moderation!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Learning to cook especially with Internet access is just a click away, www.allrecipes.com has a vast amount of instructional videos and step by step instructions. They also have a vast section on budget recipes. I know where your comming from I have a food budget of 200 a month for three people, but with a little kitchen savvy it is possible to eat well. Bread here in Canada cost 4$ a loaf at the store but adding up the ingredients per loaf baking it myself it costs me less than 25 cents and I don't have all the preservatives that comes with packaged food. I don't live like royalty but I have taught myself than cooking from scratch cut our food cost by almost two thirds!

I hope this helps you it helped me immensely.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm not piling on here. I have no beef whatsoever with SNAP, and think you guys got a raw deal with these cuts (I would have cut military spending first. FOOD -- Not Bombs.) Anyway - here is an easy recipe I use for my kids and I, and it costs almost nothing per bowl to make.

Get a cheap pressure cooker. Buy split peas ($2) an onion ($1) some carrots ($2) and a package of ham-hocks (ask your deli-person) ($6). Put the hocks in the bottom of the pot, add washed (not pre-soaked) peas, cover with 8-10 cups of water. Secure the lid and bring up to high steam. Let it rock at tick-tock speed for 20 minutes, take off stove, carefully let off steam, add beggies, re-lid, and bring up to high steam for 10-15 more minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes and serve. Lots of protein, and very filling. Goes great with cornbread (about $1 per pan once you have the corn meal, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, cooking oil and salt). Will last a single guy a week in the fridge, at least a meal a day, and once you get the hang of it, it is literally easier than most pre-packaged junk.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Been following this thread for a while and one thing no one has brought up....."left overs"! I have seen tons of great advice on cooking for cheap and still healthy, but one thing I have noticed with so many of my fellow Americans is their total distaste for eating leftovers.

I cook for myself and when I do, I cook like I am making a meal for an army! Cook one day, eat leftovers from that meal for up to a week!

A 1 lb box of elbow macaroni $1 dollar
1lb of hamburger 3 to 5 dollars
An onion or possibly a green pepper
Some chili powder
and a 26 oz can of diced tomatoes

cooked into a goulash type dish lasts me at least 5 days!

However, it requires eating leftovers!!!

Another great crockpot meal?

Beef barley soup!

Buy a cheap tough cut of beef and cube it yourself at home.
Get some pearled barley
Some carrots, celery, and onion
Beef bullion cubes and water

and BAM! You have a killer soup that is filling for almost a week!

Cooking in a manner where you only cook enough for one meal is and can get very expensive compared to perhaps even making a huge tray of lasagna if you just think about it. Sure lasagna gets expensive to make, but how long does it last? "IF YOU EAT LEFTOVERS." Look at how long that meal will last you compared to making a single portion meal every night. You'll be surprised at how much more it costs to cook for one meal, versus cooking a meal that will provide leftovers for a week.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Do you know how to cook greens? My husband loves them but the recipe I was told had pork in it so I never tried it and cannot remember now how I was told to make it... but they are a healthy and inexpensive alternative also I think for a vegetable...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I did mention leftovers earlier on in the thread. I also asked the OP if they had a freezer. If you freeze your leftovers, you can spread out the meals a little that way. You can pull them out on days you don't feel like cooking and just pop them into the microwave or oven. Freezing also saves from eating the same meal 5 nights in a row....

Leftovers are always our next day lunches around here.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Yep! I feed a family of 4 on less than 600 a month. Learning to cook easy crock pot / pressure cooker dishes and choosing things like greens over extra chips and soda is a great way to stretch your food dollar. My kids don't complain; they even invite friends to dinner for certain things, and I always have enough. As the poster above said: leftovers are magical, and so is fresh bread, once you get the hang of it. It's just a different way of approaching "cooking" and is far less wasteful and more nutritious.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join