It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

And the Veiled Jab of the Week award goes to...

I don't even know what that means. What I do see is you drive by posting me with a one liner adding nothing to the topic or discussion.
You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house. That's exactly what I was pointing out. To the person I replied. I grew up in hardship I know exactly what its like and I'm judging no one.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I honestly do not know much about that disease so I figure I cannot much speak on it.

Yes, you are correct a physical presence is always better, always no matter what... but you also work with what you have... We can try and help, I am big on positivity, it is often our attitude which saves us.

If it works then its great, if not then at least we can say we did what we could for a fellow human being.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

"...not telling anyone to stop feeling sorry for themselves." Sounds pretty underhanded to me.
edit on 17-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

Excellent point there, about eating fish!
While I do not fish as I don't care for most seafood...well that and I can never get drunk enough to fish..
I think if I were starving, I'd hit the flea markets and find a pole.
After a license and a few stamp taxes, you could feed yourself forever.
You do not have to fish the high seas and worry about crude oil and radioactive waste, just fish local ponds, rivers and lakes.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

It's just reality. They may have good days but the meds this person is on turns you into a zombie. Its just not a situation that ever improves it steadily gets worse. The only thing any of us could actually do to help is support research for finding a cure.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Doodle19815
One slice of ham and a bag of beans goes a long way also. You can pick up a slice for around $2 and a bag of beans for about the same. If you make it and freeze the leftovers, I'll bet you get at least three servings.

Do you have a freezer?

I add some potatoes to that recipe, makes it go a lot further.
having a freezer? that isn't something considered. Really a factor.

link   

Doodle19815
reply to post by wantsome

My husband was laid off a few years ago. We waited until we absolutely needed help, and we applied for food stamps. We had them for two months before he (thank The Lord) found his new job. For a family of four we received almost $500 a month. I knew I had to make it stretch....

I shopped manager's special meats (making me have to go to the store almost every other day) and used coupons whenever I could. The looks on the cashiers faces when I used food stamps and coupons together were priceless.

But, I did make it stretch, and I do feel your pain. Are you provided access to your local food bank? Sometimes you can go in there weekly and get a big box of food with non perishables that would help to stretch your dollars even further.

With the coupons you bring up a very interesting point. Extreme couponing really does work it you put the time into it. Me? I don't bother with coupons anymore. But in my earlier years, and on one of my better shopping trips, I could walk through a register with $50 worth of food for less than $10.

Free samples and free full sized product giveaways... I can't tell you how many Papa Johns pizzas I got for free, Or free eggs, butter, cookies etc... Hang out at Facebook.

Sweepstakes... The food that I won was unimaginable. I still have the leftovers of a years worth of fruit rollups. I won a huge box of Seafood shipped from Alaska, a years supply of Hersheys chocolate, years supply of Quiznos, Omaha steaks, Pilsbury basket, multiple cheese baskets, fruit, a box full of spices, etc... Tons of stuff!
edit on 17-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

link   

Here is that thread I was trying to think of. There are lots of good ideas in there.

Recipe thread

If you have a save a lot (or other discount grocery), you can buy a pack of frozen bread dough for a little over 2 bucks. The one I get has three loaves worth in it and all you do is grease the pan, put the frozen loaf in it, leave it sit covered to thaw and rise and then bake for 30 or so minutes.

Its easy and cheap and WAY better than the pre baked loaves. And? It smells amazing.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

wantsome
I'm not look for sympathy from anyone. I'm pist off that we as a nation can spend 2 trillion dollars on war and billions more in aid to other countries that hate us but we as a nation have a problem when it comes to helping our own citizens.

You have no clue what these medications do yet your real fast to pass judgement without having been in someone elses shoes.

This aint a sympathy rant I'm just saying what these meds do. Your passing accusations so I'm just countering them. Within 2 hours of taking my meds I can't keep my eyes open. The meds make me crave sugar I have to force myself from not eating it non stop. These meds have been known to cause diabetes. Theres been class action lawsuits over it.

When I wake up my mind feels like it's had an injection of novocain. My mind feels like it's numb. For the first 4 hours of my day I'm a zombie till the meds start wearing off. Then it's time to take a round of more meds. Then it's back to sleep. I take meds at night before bed and again in the middle of the day. This stuff is zombie inducing drooling on yourself type of stuff.

No one is passing judgement and you didn't come out with what your disability was until much later in the thread and not until after you felt you were being attacked.

My last GF had PPD and symptoms of other things. She fought through it and refused drugs. She worked as an officer of a major corporation, but that was the only place she could function well. Not telling you this because that's what you should do. I'm only mentioning it because I've seen what it does and can sympathize.

My suggestion was only intended with the idea that there is someway you can take back control. Having a purpose is empowering. Now I don't disagree that we have the ability to spend so much on guns, spying and the rest of the stuff we all discuss here,that there should be more for those that need the assistance, but you have the time and ability to debate issues here. You have abilities you aren't utilizing. Apply that for yourself and take control. Your initial post came off as someone looking for a handout.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

wantsome
reply to post by Bilk22

I have paranoid schizophrenia. I sleep 12-18 hours a day because of the psychotropic medications. The medications are damaging my liver and other organs it's a long term side effect. I also have seizures from time to time mostly while I'm sleeping. My doctor is a MD at a hospital. I've been seeing him as an outpatient for 16 years.

I was making $600-800 a week working. This illness has wrecked any chance I had at a normal life and you have to audacity to say I'm being lazy because I'm typing ? Go F- yourself.
edit on 17-11-2013 by want some because: (no reason given)

Have you seen any other doctors for a second or third opinion or a psychiatrist? It may be difficult to get out the door some days but there are also many self help groups for people suffering the same as you, any good psychiatrist can help steer you in a positive direction. I'm not a big fan of psych docs but there are some good ones out there willing to help you get your life back. You also need to have the willingness and desire to change things around. It will take some effort on your part but worth a shot.

I've been in a similar situation as you. The worst thing I did was see a Med Dr who prescribed me meds for anxiety and depression without any form of counseling. His advice was take these pills(multiple scripts), come back in a month or two and I'll give you more. After yrs of the meds I ended up more screwed up than when I walked in. I stopped all meds and haven't taken anything since. I'm not even going to attempt a diagnoses or recommend you do the same, as I'm not qualified to do so, but………. it's a possibility the meds are doing more harm than good.

You sound as though at one time you were capable of holding down a good job. IMO It would be worth talking to some other Dr's or self help groups that may be able to help you get back to a somewhat normal life. It's a slow process but more often than not it's better than the alternative were lives sucks and you wallow in it day after day. It will require effort on your part which I'm sure you know. I've been down this road and it wasn't easy but worth the effort put forth, just trying to be suggestive.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Loaves of bread here can be bought for 98 cents, that dough is three times the price and requires an oven so if you have gas or propane and you're shut off for bill or don't have a home it's worthless. Just saying.
The current system of food help is flawed to the point it's breaking our country.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

SasquatchHunter

I grew up poor so I don't mind when my tax dollars go to feed people.

I can afford whatever I want in groceries, I spend $20-30 per week on groceries........ Its just me and being single its probably more like a refugee camp around here.

I buy big jugs of protein and drink at least 3 shakes a day.
Typical week
I buy the 2 1/2 dozen large eggs and whatever bacon is on sale $5, Sara Lee bread$2, peanut butter, bananas, $5 1lb ground beef, whole wheat angel hair,$5 prego$4

That's $21 and I rounded up. Typically its about $20.

be careful if that is WHEY protein! I did the same for a long time while in my 20's and then in mid 30's developed a SEVERE lactose intolerance problem literally OVERNIGHT. ask around at the local gym I did, and discovered a few similar guys that have lifted for years and also stapled with whey protein during cycles.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

I would posit that he just say screw the dumb dr's and throw the meds down the drain cause they're probably increasing the frigging problem anyway, and just go to work. Psychiatry is the biggest panderers. The fact that a mental disorder can stop anyone from working is totally preposterous. Most of them are made up ailments anyway by people who wish to get a free ride. When they can't get diagnosed schizo or some other mental disorder an lot of them turn to saying they're addicted to drugs or alcohol to collect the handouts....mental and addictive disorders account for 95% of SSDI requests it's totally f'ing balls.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Josephus
well right now at my safeway that tuna is 1.00 a can ($3.20/lb) where as whole foster farms chickens are .79 a pound, a pork picnic roast 1.29/lb, a shank ham 1.69/lb and beef back ribs 1.99/lb. All of those are bone in products and if you're rockin' a budget bones are your friends.

learn to make gravy from drippings and stock from bones

Actually cooking is always going to be cheaper

If you're uncomfortable cooking I might suggest getting a crock pot, you can usually get them at the salvation army pretty cheap and they have a very gentle learning curve. so you don't have to worry about ruining anything and wasting your food.

Absolutely correct! It may seem that you are blowing your food budget when you buy $10-$12 worth of meat at one shot, but when you consider weight, you're getting so much more. The cheapest cuts of meat always have the best flavor. And you can use all of it, bones and fat will get you soup and gravy, lots of it too since you're only cooking for one.

The thing about whole chickens is that they are pretty easy to not mess up. 325 for 20 minutes a pound, just make sure you cover with foil and keep adding water as needed. The water is important so you don't burn off all your drippings. You get your chicken out of the pan.
Now, flour, water, seasoning, base, and drippings makes your gravy. Add ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until properly thickened. This you can make as much as you want, all dependent on how much water you add. Mashed potatoes and a veggie side, easily two meals.

You still have the carcass and that's where at least 5 more meals come from for one person. It's also where you can get really creative. Once you have used the breasts, thighs, legs, or whatever you're favorite parts, throw whats left into a big stock pot, fill with water, and boil for as long as you want after the meat falls from the bone, just remember to keep adding water. Strain the stock, saving both the stock and all the meat and bones and stuff. Put the stock back on and add whatever veggies, seasonings, rice, or noodles, and you basically got a few gallons of soup. As long as your fridge works, this'll keep a good 8-10 days.

All that chicken meat you need to let cool then debone and get all the cartilage and other nasty stuff out. I usually save the skin and throw that back in with the stock. Take your time cuz there's lots of little tiny stuff you can miss, but when you're done, you got a few pounds of shredded chicken, much better than tuna fish. You can throw it in the soup, make tacos, or anything you used to make with tuna fish.

Assuming an 8 pound chicken, you can buy the chicken, potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, flour, noodles, rice, canned veggies, for less than $20. Try that for a couple weeks and you start getting a leg up.

Another thing is to always look in the mexican foods aisle for spices and rice and flour. Try the dollar store for spices too. Never buy at the grocery store cuz they gouge you.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

ldyserenity
reply to post by daryllyn

Loaves of bread here can be bought for 98 cents, that dough is three times the price and requires an oven so if you have gas or propane and you're shut off for bill or don't have a home it's worthless. Just saying.
The current system of food help is flawed to the point it's breaking our country.

Bread is 1.79 here, the dough is only a little more than that for three loaves instead of one and its better quality and a lot tastier. Sometimes little things, like something yummy, can be a real boost.

The system may be flawed, but at only 2% of the budget, its hardly "breaking" the country.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I dont know about others but I do know about me....

When I first got this disease I was on some serious meds... I took 100 mg of oxycontin a day (20 in the morning 40 in the afternoon and 40 at night) plus I had vicodin for the breakthrough pain,(allowed one 10/500 mg pill 3 times a day) plus gabapentin for pain (800 mg 3 times a day) plus a sleepng pill at night...

and when that didn't cover it I would go to the ER and they would pump me full of either dilaudid IV or morphine IV, depending on the ER doctor at the time until I wasn't crying anymore. (which was generally until I was unable to keep my eyes open)

All this stuff kept me in such a drug stupor it was difficult to even think... when I first started taking the oxycontin the second it hit my system I would pass out cold for the next several hours... mid-sentence even at time... just gone to the world...

So I know about ALL about meds that mess you up!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

ldyserenity

I would posit that he just say screw the dumb dr's and throw the meds down the drain cause they're probably increasing the frigging problem anyway, and just go to work. Psychiatry is the biggest panderers. The fact that a mental disorder can stop anyone from working is totally preposterous. Most of them are made up ailments anyway by people who wish to get a free ride. When they can't get diagnosed schizo or some other mental disorder an lot of them turn to saying they're addicted to drugs or alcohol to collect the handouts....mental and addictive disorders account for 95% of SSDI requests it's totally f'ing balls.

Holding my tongue as much as possible, I will say that that is the most stupid suggestion that I have ever heard at ATS. This is definitely one disorder that requires meds to be taken faithfully every day. I had a neighbor with this, and she would slip sometimes. Oh my.... And even under treatment, she was dependent upon her family. It is an organic brain disorder, there no wishing it away with happy thoughts.
edit on 17-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

ldyserenity

Wow.... I'm just going to not touch this and suggest that you do some research before suggesting that a Schizophrenic stop taking their meds. Seriously...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

daryllyn
So what if OP has a computer? Or internet access? Or buys 2 bucks worth of soda a week?
Since when are the disadvantaged not allowed to have anything extra?

If he can afford it on his own, he can go get the 'extra'. But if he can't afford the 'extra' - like ready made pumpkin pies and soda and instant flavored rice packages - then I sure as all hell shouldn't be buying it for him. And that's what I'm doing when he spends tax money to buy that crap.

Heck, I can't afford rib eye steak, but why can't I have that 'something extra'??
Should I demand that those who can afford it go out and buy it for me? Hell no.
It's not their responsibility to have to do that sort of thing.

He was complaining about his entitlement handout not buying much.
But taking a look at the pictures tells us why it didn't go very far.
HE BOUGHT CRAP.
Pre-made ... make life easy ... sugar filled ... CRAP.

I am RESPONSIBLE when I grocery shop. No soda. No pre-made pumpkin pies.
No pre-cooked instant fully flavored rice packages.
We get fresh chicken to cook at home instead of the expensive cans of chicken.
We get bags of rice or boxes of minute rice. PLAIN.
We go without all the extra spices and gravy.
We eat responsibly for our budget. He could do the same.

edit on 11/17/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm sorry OP. Some people think that if you're on food stamps it's a crime to eat anything other than what they consider appropriate "poverty food" (usually rice and lentils/beans - not that there's anything wrong with those, as they can definitely be awesome, cheap sources of nutrition). I know many others in this thread have already offered up good suggestions and you might be feeling overwhelmed with advice, but my one tip would be to buy in bulk whenever possible. If you have an Asian market near you, you may be able to snag some great deals on large packages of basic ingredients like dried noodles and seasonings. A slow cooker or crock pot can allow you to make up hearty meals by basically just throwing ingredients in the pot and letting it all stew overnight. I understand how difficult it can be to muster the energy to cook healthy food from scratch when you're dealing with a chronic mental or physical illness, though. Good luck to you, and please don't take the negative comments too personally.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join