It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Shaiker

I love rice... you can do anything with it you want.... rice is a definite staple... there must be a 100 ways to make a meal out of rice!

to the OP and the poster, it's your lucky day!!! Check out the Lentils and Rice recipe thread linked in my signature. You won't be shooting squirrels after trying that food. (made some yesterday and will be having my second day leftovers in an hour or so, I make three days worth at once)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

This is very true, when I got to the point I was able to work again, I got an office job advertising on the internet, I do all the advertising and the website for the company I work for...

I love it, I am able now to be completely self sufficient again even though I am disabled.

So... while I will never be a nurse again... I am able to do something and regained my independence! That is so important too... you feel awful about yourself when you aren't doing stuff!
edit on 17-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Bilk22

This is very true, when I got to the point I was able to work again, I got an office job advertising on the internet, I do all the advertising and the website for the company I work for...

I love it, I am able now to be completely self sufficient again even though I am disabled.

So... while I will never be a nurse again... I am able to do something and regained my independence! That is so important too... you feel awful about yourself when you aren't doing stuff!
That's great! Self-reliance is self-respect. There are those that unfortunately are not able to do for themselves, but if you can shop, type, take pictures, then you're probably not too disabled to do something else.

I was recently in a government agency office and the guy helping me had no use of his legs, yet he got to work every day. Just saying there's no use in complaining. If you don't like the situation, change it. Don't look for others to make it better for you.

Edit: Didn't see this person can also shoot squirrels in the yard if they wanted to, so ……………………..
edit on 17-11-2013 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I agree! While you will need some help getting there... there is no shame in it so long as you are getting somewhere!

People who are truly disabled can still be self sufficient in today's day and age! My doctor didn't want me working... when I said now that I am working I am in more pain and could I get a bit higher dose of my medicine for the evening time... he said you can't work, just stay home..

I refused... I work anyway and just deal with the additional pain... I have yet to find a doctor that will say anything other than stay home! I hate that when I don't need to stay home, I need to be productive!

So I am... screw everyone who wants to tell me I cant work!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

I wish I could work but instead I'm forced to live as a second class citizen in richest nation on earth.

Except the riches are in fewer and fewer hands. This could be a good thing. Once people are hungry enough they will pour into the streets. Watch out TPTB, your greed will consume you. By then nobody will care about all the useless money you hoard, just their empty bellies.
edit on 17-11-2013 by intrptr because: BB code

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

wantsome
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I have been looking for easy meals to make but my culinary skills aren't up to the task. At $45 a week I get to spend $6.50 a day. A $7 package or ground beef with other stuff is out of my price range. I have been thinking about making chicken soup but I don't know how long it would last. I have liver and other health problems because of my medications and I need to watch what I eat.
edit on 17-11-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

If you want some recipe ideas to help you make your money go further I can HELP you!

So many people giving advice yet not even asking where you live or what stores you have. I know not everyone can cook but if you want your money to last longer you need to learn plus once you start you might be surprised at how you come to enjoy it....well at least that is what other people have told me that i have helped with cooking. Once you realize that you can make all that stuff yourself you won't want to buy the packaged stuff anymore. Now some packaged items aren't bad and even with the ingredients in them I still use them because they have multiple uses for me.

So here we go.

Do you have a Publix or Winn Dixie?
What local grocery stores do you have? I need to know that first before I can help you.
Do you have a crock pot?? A crock pot is a GREAT and easy way to make multiple meals. For example. I'll take a whole chicken (around $6 bucks) and I will make 3 meals out of it. Chicken soup, chicken pot pie and chicken noodle casserole.

My husband lives overseas on a tiny remote island and the food is CRAP! He has no food budget because there isn't a Publix or a Wal Mart there. He has what is worse than cafeteria food there BUT with my help and a few cooking appliances he has made a huge change in what he eats. If I can help him on no budget, meaning he only has what they have in the "chow hall" as he calls it, I can help you. I also send him a box of items every few months and they are very basic foods.

I use to live off of $40 a week in groceries and can help you with budgeting. I have a food budget every month of $240 right now for my son and I and the way I shop it's like double that. You MUST know your stores sales. I check the weekly ad's for every store I shop at and then "plot" my shopping that way. I get so much for FREE or at a discount and it helps.

Tell me a few things.

Do you eat meat or is it just due to cost? IF you do what do you prefer?
What things do you not like to eat?

Sorry if this is very random but I do want to help you. I have always been very good with budgeting probably because growing up as a kid my mom was on assistance and there were literally times PBJ was the only thing in the house. I learned how to make my own foods by watching my mom and making one meal last throughout the week by turning it into something else.

You can message me or reply here and I'd be more than happy to help you.

I just saw you have food restrictions. Let me know what they are if you don't mind so I can help you better.
edit on 11/17/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
double post...no idea how that happened

edit on 11/17/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Damn it!

I'm not going to tell you that you should go without some of the things that make life a little more appetizing to the soul...

live strong

If you can get around; you can volunteer at a salvation army or a similar non-profit.

They won't let you go hungry.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I've been thinking of chicken soup or bean soup or something along those lines. I need to stay away from beef and pork because of the cholesterol. Thanks for the help.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Just to be suggestive and already recommended above, get rid of the soda, pies, pasta sides (ridiculous $ for what you get), stop smoking (I assume thats your bag of baccy in the background). I know it's not easy living on what you get but you could make better choices in the food department. You can also earn a certain amount of money on disability that would probably get you the t-bone you long for.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

StallionDuck

I'm just seeing an example of the problem here, even though it's small in your case, it's a very big picture problem. Substitute that 2$ of cokes, plus the 1$ olives and the 2-3$ pie and whatever else in there that isn't good for you and buy your meat.
edit on 17-11-2013 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

you sound like a COMPLETE jerk. what, a few dollars ?

he can buy a pound of ground beef, if on sale. how fare will that go?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I have paranoid schizophrenia. I sleep 12-18 hours a day because of the psychotropic medications. The medications are damaging my liver and other organs it's a long term side effect. I also have seizures from time to time mostly while I'm sleeping. My doctor is a MD at a hospital. I've been seeing him as an outpatient for 16 years.

I was making $600-800 a week working. This illness has wrecked any chance I had at a normal life and you have to audacity to say I'm being lazy because I'm typing ? ##SNIPPED##.

edit on Mon Nov 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I grew up poor so I don't mind when my tax dollars go to feed people.

I can afford whatever I want in groceries, I spend $20-30 per week on groceries........ Its just me and being single its probably more like a refugee camp around here.

I buy big jugs of protein and drink at least 3 shakes a day.
Typical week
I buy the 2 1/2 dozen large eggs and whatever bacon is on sale $5, Sara Lee bread$2, peanut butter, bananas, $5 1lb ground beef, whole wheat angel hair,$5 prego$4

That's $21 and I rounded up. Typically its about $20.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Here... I posted a recipe for homemade noodles

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This will help you with your homemade chicken soup... and you can make big pots and freeze meals...

I will do the recipe for chicken soup later since you said you are on diet restrictions..

with a cholesterol difficulty you want to use olive oil in your meal preparations... it is healthy for you

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

wantsome
reply to post by Bilk22

I have paranoid schizophrenia. I sleep 12-18 hours a day because of the psychotropic medications. The medications are damaging my liver and other organs it's a long term side effect. I also have seizures from time to time mostly while I'm sleeping. My doctor is a MD at a hospital. I've been seeing him as an outpatient for 16 years.

I was making $600-800 a week working. This illness has wrecked any chance I had at a normal life and you have to audacity to say I'm being lazy because I'm typing ? Go F- yourself.
I didn't say you were lazy. You were looking for sympathy. I just pointed out there are people that might be in a worse position than you and they work. Start a business from home. You obviously have the time, mental ability and a computer. Do something for yourself and drop the self-pity.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

never mind.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Yep I just noticed where he said has Schizophrenia...... Tragic.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by Bilk22

I agree! While you will need some help getting there... there is no shame in it so long as you are getting somewhere!

People who are truly disabled can still be self sufficient in today's day and age! My doctor didn't want me working... when I said now that I am working I am in more pain and could I get a bit higher dose of my medicine for the evening time... he said you can't work, just stay home..

I refused... I work anyway and just deal with the additional pain... I have yet to find a doctor that will say anything other than stay home! I hate that when I don't need to stay home, I need to be productive!

So I am... screw everyone who wants to tell me I cant work!

That's why I don't go to Doctors, Cause F*** THEM!! AND F*** SSDI.

I'd go to work until I couldn't move and recover and go to work again pain can't be that bad or that hard considering RN's don't really do all that much. LPN's do all the heavy lifting.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Instead of posting your life on a conspiracy website, why not research how to make the money that you do receive stretch a little further. I was on food stamps before, it was my last resort and it wasn't easy especially living in the highest taxed state in the nation. I didn't go on the internet complaining about how I can't eat steaks and the like. Instead I came up with dinner ideas that would last me for a month on a very limited budget. You can get HEAP and other programs that will pay for your utilities during times of hardship. I'm thankful that I have found a great job and got out of the funk I was in. Pick your head up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Change your thinking and it will change you. Good luck.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

yeah I WAS an LPN.. hahaha.. no more ever again...

but I work for a business now doing their website and their advertising... its great! When I describe my job I just say I lie for a living! (hahaha joking!)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join