It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living it up on the tax payers dime a weeks worth of food stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Look, I know its not easy... I fight my body every day and no way I can do the things I used to be able to do. I am disabled too. I have been exactly where you are at...except I never got any food stamps, I lived, rent, utilities, food and everything... on my disability check alone.

You are one up from me there, you get some additional help with food and all... I never did.

I learned how to cook as a child, standing on a chair next to my mother, my first meal I made all by myself that I presented to my family I was 9 years old... not everyone learns to cook so young I know... but everyone should learn, and it doesn't matter when you do... its a work in progress and you don't always get it right the first time...

I forgot to put sugar in the first cake I made! hahaha... you should have seen the looks I got for that!

But your family loves you, and they will love your mistakes too... its about trying, and sometimes you get a good laugh, and when it comes out great you have accomplished a wonderful thing..

your disabled and you cannot work... but this also means you have ALL DAY to prepare a meal, you can take all the breaks you need, and take all the time you need to get a dinner on the table... and that is a wonderful thing when you are hurting badly!

I will give you all the advice I can, I will help teach you how to cook things like chicken soup homemade, and potato soups and things that are cheap and go a long way... my kids remember well the time in our lives we had to practically live on soup... they call it the soup, soup, and more soup times!!

If you are willing I will help you all I can... just say the word and I will teach you all I can over the internet!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I too have health problems, and a few years ago my wife and the doctors thought I had one foot out the door.
If you are indeed disabled, spend your day online looking up and writing down recipes, find youtube videos of cooking the items you'd like to try.
There are sooo many dishes you could prepare and store for a few days or even weeks in the freezer.
A big old pot of chicken soup can be made for real cheap and put into ziplock bags and frozen!
It only takes about an hour to do.
What you basically need to do is become a food prepper, for lack of better words.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The abuses within the food stamp and welfare programs are INSANE. I routinely see "poor" people use their SNAP\EBT cards to buy groceries, and then leave the store in a $60,000 vehicle adorned with $3000 wheels.

If the govt would weed these parasitic pieces of excrement out of the system, there would be more for those who really need it. As a taxpayer, this really bugs me. By the same token, I'll gladly pay my fair share to help truly needy folks.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I don't get food stamps, but I probably qualify and might apply in the future, if things don't get better. But, my budget is quite like yours. Thank God for the 99 Cent store!

You have to get really creative when money is tight, and OpinionatedB has some good ideas. When you don't have a lot to spend, sometimes you have to spend time, shop around, cut coupons and make things from scratch to save money.

Flour and yeast is cheaper that a loaf of bread, in the long run. Buy chicken quarters and making your own chicken broth. Make soup and stews from cheap carrots, onions, celery and potatoes will last for several meals. Add some chicken, canned mackeral (cheaper that tuna), or beans for protein.

Get online and learn to cook. Get creative and think out of the box! Good luck

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

You said,

my kids remember well the time in our lives we had to practically live on soup... they call it the soup, soup, and more soup times!!

I LOL'ed!

You see, when I was growing up we had macaroni cheese and, not macaroni and cheese.
Macaroni cheese and whatever else Mom could think of to mix in for some nutrition.
Things added, peas, or tuna, or sour cream and chives, or canned tomatoes, or...the list goes on and on...
I think this is the major reason I learned to cook and to this day will not have a meal without meat, unless it is what I was aiming for.
I hated macaroni and cheese throughout my childhood and up into my young adult years, nowadays I love it and have a wingdinger of a recipe for it.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

HA! We will have to trade recipes, I have made a box of macaroni and cheese and added tuna to it for lunches occasionally.. I kind of like it! Your recipe is probably much better!

I can give you recipes for homemade potato soup, homemade chicken and dumplings (which is also a soup) homemade steak soup, and homemade chicken and noodles (I make my noodles from scratch!) All are very hearty soups that are very filling and healthy!

(I will have to give the recipe while I cook them the next time since I don't actually have a written down recipe, I just make them so I don't know measurements! But next time I cook I can measure what I am putting in it so I can tell you how easier! )
edit on 17-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Welcome to the progressive utopia (The Glorious World of Next Tuesday!), komrade.

What you have there is a huge improvement over the old state-provided daily turnip the proletariat used to get. Progress!

I bet you're thinking you should continue to vote for the party who promises to give ever more scraps, er I mean, uh... Riches?

If you are experiencing difficulty adjusting to life in the peoples utopia, you're in luck!

Re-educate yourself at once!: thepeoplescube.com...

Don't forget: Big brother loves you.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Actually $45.00 a week is better than some. Where I live it's $32.00 a week for one person who is disabled.

I do see your point. With food prices who can afford meat?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

wantsome
reply to post by StallionDuck

I get $45 a week the picture is $38. I needed to save enough for milk and bread.

I'm in the same boat as you, except, I don't get any SNAP now. Is it possible you can make your own bread? I'm serious. It truly helped me be able to keep bread in the house, and it tastes better than any bread you get at the store. It's not hard to make either. For milk, it's hit or miss. I'm hoping to meet with a guy who has some milking goats and see if he'll do any trading for that. I make candles, and hopefully he'll need them. Goat milk is really good, and if you can track down someone who will sell it to you it would be so much cheaper than the store.

Thanks for your post, it really IS reality.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
One slice of ham and a bag of beans goes a long way also. You can pick up a slice for around $2 and a bag of beans for about the same. If you make it and freeze the leftovers, I'll bet you get at least three servings.

Do you have a freezer?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PlatinumShatinum

I would have to agree, its the fraud of others that brought us all here to this post, we all can agree to disagree that the cuts hurt those that need the help.

Like in a previous post if you see fraud, report it.
How to report Snap Fraud

Like I mentioned I understand the Welfare system since I grew up on it, I can remember taking my paper route money and buying bread for my mom when I was 12.

Lets not criticize what nutrient valve we buy you have to mix it up, if you have never ate the same thing over and over for months there is no room to criticize, me for example when I was 12 I remember "Hamburger Helper", Don't touch the stuff to this day.

So here is a good example (not pointing fingers) on why we need to redo the snap program to get those off of it that don't need to be on it......Example again....that California Surfer.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

When I was younger, it was bologna. Mom used to get a pack of it, and fry part of it for breakfast and the other for lunch. Each would get a slice or two of fried bologna and a piece of toast. I can't even stand the smell of bologna now.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Do you think your entitled to receive what you get now. Where is this written as your right. Culinary skills to make basic foods are not demanding. You can find thousands upon thousands of basic recipes right here on the internet. In fact, you could have read 10 or so while you typed this complaint. My family abroad lives on rice and small fish daily and sometimes they have to stretch that.

Some days they had to eat the family pet or a stray before my wife immigrated here. Have you ever eaten your dog?

Be thankful for what you get because one day it will dry up and you will starve unless you begin to learn a way to make it.

If the banks collapse such as wells fargo whom if i remember correctly handles the transactions for the snap and ebt programs what yah gonna do?

Make a plan to improve your situation and work on it in a hour of your 24 hrs free time a day and you would be amazed at the progress you will make.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

1 pound ground beef = 3.50
huge bag of large or medium shell pasta = 2.50
sour cream = 1.50
tomato sauce (very large can and regular can) = 3.00

Some garlic and some salt and pepper to taste.

fry the ground beef and drain any grease... while you are frying the ground beef you boil the noodles til they are done.... drain excess water... mix your ground beef with your cooked pasta and add the large can of tomato sauce and the regular can of sauce til it looks right (very moist but not soupy at all... just moist) add your salt and pepper and garlic powder til it tastes right... your going to cook this like this on top of the stove til the flavors blend well and it tastes nice... once it is to that point you add a couple large spoons of sour cream til its a dark dark pink instead of red...

then you serve it... this is a huge meal and you can freeze your leftovers... some frozen mixed vegetables on the side and you have 4 to 5 meals for one person out of this pot. It ALWAYS tastes better the next day...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I too feel it is a shame that a country that can waste money bombing / drone attacking other countries that we are not even at war with can not do more for our disabled. The US loves to give away money to everyone but our own citizens:

The U.S. provides Israel $8.5 million* in military aid each day
source

I am further embarrassed by those who can not see the hypocrisy of this.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

wantsome
A lot of people like to complain about the food stamp program so I figured I'd put things into perspective. The recent cuts took food off of the table for me and millions of Americans. $47 million dollars in cuts isn't much to most but for some of us it was a big chunk. Yeah yeah yeah you hear stories all the time that we on food stamps are eating prime rib and lobster every night.

Well heres a picture of what a regular week of shopping looks like for me. I can't afford chick beef or pork. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I don't like eat tuna because of the possible radiation from the Japan incident but I don't have much of a choice. I need something to eat for protein.
[/IMG]

edit on 17-11-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2013 by wantsome because: (no reason given)
What's your disability? You didn't say. You have $200/week for food or what ever? Am I reading that right? You can obviously type on a computer keyboard, so there are jobs for you. You need to look harder.
edit on Mon Nov 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Quote Crash Course

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaiker

I love rice... you can do anything with it you want.... rice is a definite staple... there must be a 100 ways to make a meal out of rice!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Sounds yummy!

Noodles - 1 cup flour, 1 egg, 2 Tbls milk, and a pinch of salt. Get in there and mix with hands (or a spoon for you wimps
) and mix until blended and it forms a ball. Allow to rest for ten minutes, roll flat. (You can use your hands to flatten, a rolling pin, or a can or cup. It is a stiff dough and requires some work to get it to about 1/4 inch thickness, but so worth it when cooked.

You can cook them in salted water, chicken/beef broth, or use them with pasta sauce. For under $1.00 for the batch.

Edit to add - after flattened, cut dough to desired strip width and allow to dry for at least 4 hours. Otherwise you get dumplings.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I am in the same place food wise but I have blessed to have a mother who runs a food bank and the local church kick some volunteers made frozen dinners, I don't get state assistance at this point but may need to soon. Out of date stuff isn't all it is either our community is like this as long as I can remember.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

I always roll up my dough after I roll it out... once you roll it out to the right thickness you roll it up into a long roll, and then slice it to make your noodles! (goes much faster that way!)

I always do my noodles homemade for my soups, but I also by the shapes of noodles from the store for some things....Its cheaper to make them homemade, and you get a LOT more pasta that way you are very correct!
edit on 17-11-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join