It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Jungle (Nov2013)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
They stared out at the edge of the jungle, just beyond the trees. An overwhelming sadness engulfed the group as they watched from a distance. Many times they have seen this thing standing there, lifeless, motionless, waiting for something. The scene was different today though. The huge beast roared and moved forward, its claws ripping at the flesh of the trees. One by one it knocked them down, swiftly, defiantly removing anything in its path. The strong root systems of the oldest trees were no match for it. They fell as quickly as the youngest, most vulnerable did. What had taken centuries to build, took only minutes for it to destroy. The group started to scream and screech their rage and frustration, thumping their fists on their chest, jumping and throwing things at the beast. But the beast just kept moving forward, paying no mind to their outbursts. After a few minutes, most of the group had moved back farther into the forest, not wanting to get caught in the beast’s path. But Nadu and Gatu remained. This was the first time they had ever seen this beast and they were very curious about it.

Gatu was horrified as he watched the beast slay the trees. What would make anyone want to do such a thing? Had the trees declared war against the beast? Gatu had never known any tree to make war. He had only known the strength of their limbs as he jumped from one to another. The safety of their leaves as he hid from danger. They had kept him safe in their limbs at night and sheltered from the elements during the day. Not once had a tree done anything terrible to him or his family. He did not understand what was going on. Looking to his brother for some reassurance, he saw that his brother was confused as well. The only thing he did know was that there was a great emotion building up in his belly. He felt frightened, sad, and angry all at the same time.

Nadu signaled for him to follow and they swung from branch to branch, heading closer to the beast. It took them some time, but they eventually had circled around and came in from the side, staying out of the beast’s path of destruction. Nadu pointed at the head, it was hollow and there was something inside it. When Gatu felt it was safe, he swung in a little closer and saw what was controlling the beast, a human, the most dangerous predator on Earth.

Not because they had big teeth like the Jaguar, or because they had huge claws like the Tiger, but only because not one other creature on this planet knew why they did the things they did. They never made sense to anyone. All they did was consume everything. And while every other animal had a purpose for what they did, these creatures did not. MawMaw says that they are like a swarm of locusts, that they go from place to place and destroy everything in their path. But even locust have a reason why they do this, humans do not.

Gatu looks at his brother and he signaled it was time to go back to the group. In a day or so they would be forced to leave their home and head deeper into the jungle. The humans were getting close to their nest and they knew the beast wouldn’t stop until its belly was full. As they swung from limb to limb, they said goodbye to the trees, their fate already sealed. Gatu felt that the fate of his family was sealed as well. Heading deeper into the jungle meant many of their group would not survive.

Gatu looked at his brother and wondered if he would still be around tomorrow, or the next day, or even in a few weeks. The deeper they were forced into the jungle, the shorter their life span would become. All because the humans needed more room, they always needed more of everything. When would they stop consuming? They already had so much space and now they wanted more. Gatu screamed in frustration, did they not know they were hurting his family? Did they not see they were taking too much? When would they stop taking and start giving? Planting saplings to replace what they took, how can they ever replace the great trees that had stood centuries strong and proud? It would take thousands of years for the jungle to grow back to its original grandeur. And his family already had to move deeper into the jungle at least twice before. If only there was some way to make them see, if only they could understand what they were doing.

Gatu and his brother finally made it back to the nest and the others were all gathered in the middle grooming one another. They would be leaving the next morning to find another nest, but until then, they would act as if nothing was amiss.

Drada was only a few feet away from the group, watching over them as they groomed. His proud stance was a little off today, it was his job to keep the family safe, and he wasn’t so confident he was going to be able to do that anymore. The worried look in his eyes betrayed any show of confidence he could muster.

Mawmaw was holding the very young close to her chest as a show of protection. She wanted to keep her babies safe, and it was her job to do so. But it was getting harder and harder to do it with the humans taking more and more of their jungle. Looking down at the young, she worried about their fate.

Gatu and his brother settled in with the rest of the group. What would become of his family once they left this place? What would become of his species if the humans didn’t stop? He knew he couldn’t worry about tomorrow and that he had to live one day at a time. Tomorrow would be a new day, with new challenges and he would have to do as he always did, fight to survive.

Thanks,
Blend57

edit on 17-11-2013 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

This was a wonderful story. Good luck in the contest and also your writing future.

~MAGANTICE

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Magantice
reply to post by blend57

This was a wonderful story. Good luck in the contest and also your writing future.

~MAGANTICE

Thanks! I don't know so much about a writing career, but I have some fun doing these short story contests. And I'm glad to see you liked it!

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Yes I liked it very much. I don't know much about writing either , that's for sure. I'm just a grandmother who does normal grandmother things.

Its fun to try though right? keep up your good work !

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I read this story the other day and forgot to comment.
I just wanted to tell ya it's very good and I like the descriptive nature of all your works actually. You are talented in short stories. I seem to only ever be able to write a poem. I guess to each their own huh

Good luck with this story friend.

Peace and love
-nat

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

natalia
reply to post by blend57

I read this story the other day and forgot to comment.
I just wanted to tell ya it's very good and I like the descriptive nature of all your works actually. You are talented in short stories. I seem to only ever be able to write a poem. I guess to each their own huh

Good luck with this story friend.

Peace and love
-nat

And I cannot write a poem to save my soul. Thank the lord we have you and others that are talented in that field.

I went through and read many of your poems today. Very deep and thoughtful. The ones I read sound as though they were about real life scenarios, which I also cannot write about. Hats off to you and your talent.

Thanks for reading and commenting on my story. I really do appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Blend57

new topics

top topics

join