It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German railway deploys surveillance drones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

The drones, which fly at an altitude of 150 yards, will be used at graffiti 'hotspots' such as the big German cities of Berlin, Leipzig, Cologne and Hamburg, a spokesman for Deutsche Bahn confirmed.
The use of drones against vandals is the latest indication of the growing civilian market for unmanned aerial reconnaissance. Over 400 new drone systems are being developed by firms based in Europe, according to an EU report published last September.
The drones used by Deutsche Bahn cost 60,000 euros each and are manufactured by German firm Microdrones, which also markets the machines for landscape photography, analysing traffic accidents and monitoring crops.

German railway deploys surveillance drones

This is the worst of dystopian science-fiction coming true. I dont like Graffiti, but I like flying spy-drones even less. This sets the precedent for more of the same throughout the world. And its not going to stop at spying on Graffiti Sprayers. Im reminded of a sci-fi story I read as a kid, where the Government had imposed a curfew that was enforced by flying and weaponized drones. Now that its technically possible, its only a matter of time...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Drones are going to become a much bigger problem soon. With more government agencies and civilians using these devices, for all sorts of reasons. I know the police and other emergency services use them in the UK, but it won't be long until , local councils want to use them or Social security use them to check up on people. Although some people in the UK would worryingly welcome such a thing.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

woodwardjnr
Although some people in the UK would worryingly welcome such a thing.

Surveillance of our Internet activities is already fully embraced by the majority. Camera-Drones are the offline version of that and sure to be embraced in the name of "public safety".

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Why is using a drone to catch criminal activity any different to using a human to do it?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

lacrimoniousfinale

Why is using a drone to catch criminal activity any different to using a human to do it?

Because the human would rather be nice and warm in a soft chair miles away sipping coffee.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

lacrimoniousfinale

This question implies that you have no probem with living in a surveillance state?

We who dont like a surveillance state, dont like it because its much easier to impose tyranny, dictatorship and totalitarianism in a surveillance state.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

And why is it beyond reason to simply install fixed cameras on long posts at these graffiti blackspots then?

A lot cheaper and easier than a drone.

Couldn't be to get the public desensitised to having drones hovering above their houses, schools, workplace, leisure areas and heads would it?

Nah...couldn't possibly be that...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Skyfloating

woodwardjnr
Although some people in the UK would worryingly welcome such a thing.

Surveillance of our Internet activities is already fully embraced by the majority. Camera-Drones are the offline version of that and sure to be embraced in the name of "public safety".

Yeah..well.

At 150 yards high, there's going to be a lot of people, (myself not one of them Mr. or Ms. Agency person reading this) who are going to be grateful at the opportunity for target practice..and at 60K euros apiece, that's going to become expensive rather quickly.

edit on 17-11-2013 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

A fleet of miniature helicopter drones mounted with thermal imaging cameras will be deployed to combat graffiti-spraying gangs on the German railway network.

Oh, come on! Try harder! Even their excuses for pushing surveillance technology upon us are getting lazy now. A mass-scale drone program for graffiti gangs? Who would buy that? It's like they're not even trying anymore. There's no need to properly cover-up anything, since the masses will just conform anyway. It's almost funny.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You could argue that I already live in a surveillance state - the UK. My point is that they are simply using current technology to tackle the problem. Until recently, the solution would have been to "install fixed cameras on long posts". Before that it was a guy with a dog. Drones are not doing anything that these methods didn't previously do, but they are doing it more cost effectively.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Drone paranoia strikes again !

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Cathcart

A fleet of miniature helicopter drones mounted with thermal imaging cameras will be deployed to combat graffiti-spraying gangs on the German railway network.

Oh, come on! Try harder! Even their excuses for pushing surveillance technology upon us are getting lazy now. A mass-scale drone program for graffiti gangs? Who would buy that? It's like they're not even trying anymore. There's no need to properly cover-up anything, since the masses will just conform anyway. It's almost funny.

I don't know where you got mass scale drone program from, the drone in question can only fly for 80 mins they will need more than one to operate during night hours. There's nothing in the article to suggest a MASS drone program. You are making sound worse that what it is
edit on 17-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

lacrimoniousfinale

You could argue that I already live in a surveillance state - the UK. My point is that they are simply using current technology to tackle the problem. Until recently, the solution would have been to "install fixed cameras on long posts". Before that it was a guy with a dog. Drones are not doing anything that these methods didn't previously do, but they are doing it more cost effectively.

Fixed cameras couldn't make a quick stop to peek through your windows. Guys with dogs had a much harder time stalking you.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Cathcart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

ThePeaceMaker
I don't know where you got mass scale drone program from, the drone in question can only fly for 80 mins they will need more than one to operate during night hours. There's nothing in the article to suggest a MASS drone program. You are making sound worse that what it is

Yeah, I just double-checked and you're right. My bad.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimoniousfinale

Yes of course. They fight crime more efficiently. I dont misunderstand your point.

Its all well and good until we enter a tyranny. And if we ever do enter a tyranny (it would not be the first time in human History), it will become VERY EASY to exercise total control over the populace. Certain books forbidden? You attempting to order them can be tracked in the Internet. Forbidden to leave the city? Flying drones can prevent that, etc.

We oppose surveillance drones and similar because of what they COULD be abused for in the future.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

ThePeaceMaker

edit on 17-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

Before Hitler was in power they said "Oh come on, you are making it sound worse than it is. They only wants to bring a little law and order to the country".

Before Stalin was in power they said "Oh come on, you are making it sound worse than it is. They only wants to bring a little egalitarianism to the country".

The results? Tyranny, Mass Control, Genocide.

Before Big Brother is in power, they said "Oh come on, you are making it sound worse than it is. They only want to get rid of Graffiti".

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

MysterX
are going to be grateful at the opportunity for target practice..and at 60K euros apiece, that's going to become expensive rather quickly.

Target practice...right on.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As a child I really enjoyed reading and watching science FICTIONstories. They were a wonderful way to pass the time. Of course in reading and watching these stories I never imagined that I would someday be living them! To me they were just ludicrous ideas. I mean imagine governments using flying robots(drones) to spy on and control populations. There were even some equipped with weapon systems that would kill targets with pinpoint accuracy. No such thing could ever happen. Could it?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by colddeadhands

Same sentiment here....sci-fi coming true right before my eyes...and the populace oblivious or indifferent just like in those sci-fi stories.

They will be indifferent to this just like they were indifferent to the recent NSA revelations.

A populace that does not care about privacy and freedom deserves neither.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

lacrimoniousfinale

First it was under cover agents, then helicopters, then cameras, now drones. You are correct the activities have always been the same it is just the tech that changes. Also drones just sounds more scary than radio controled helicopters.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join