It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who don't accept evolution, but do accept the scientific method...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Successful mutations occur often, but they can't be defined when they occur. You can only determine if a mutation is successful (in evolutionary terms) in hindsight, because evolution has no goal. If you are able to determine that a mutation is spreading through a population faster than by pure chance, then you would suspect that it's a successful one. Of course, that means that you have to wait a number of generations.

It's usually easier to identify unsuccessful mutations, because the most obvious of those lead to rapid death and elimination from the population. But if the mutation doesn't lead to a rapid death (or infertility), and can be passed down through a population, then time is the only way to tell if it's actually successful.

Naturally, "successful" is context-dependent. For example, some of the most successful mutations we know of are the ones that cause sickle-cell anemia. (There are several such mutations, which occurred and spread independently, further testifying to their success.) But SCA is successful only in the presence of the malaria parasite; in regions where malaria is not common, SCA is a strong negative factor and is unsuccessful.

So identifying a "successful" mutation is really semantics. They're successful if they succeed. Mutations that at first glance may seem to be (and may actually be) seriously negative, may actually be successful in a new context.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yes I accept the scientific method; of course I do - and there's the problem you see - because the scientific method can't be applied to current mainstream evolutionary theory, and so that's why I cannot accept the supposed 'truth' that we're all meant to unquestioningly swallow about evolution.

That doesn't mean I'm mad, or religious, or anything - it just means I'm still waiting for a solution that actually stands up to rigorous scrutiny using the scientific method and isn't a fairytale that I have to accept because current science forces me to.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by in17years

It is clear you're confused about the true nature of the scientific method by your own admission.

Nothing in science demands anyone to "unquestioningly swallow" it's findings.

A theory stands or falls on the evidence, If you want to oppose or refute a position, then oppose or refute that actual position, not some strawman bs.
This means that you need to address evolution itself, the science, the specific parts you cannot accept and not some false and misleading caricature.

The balls in your court to show the parts of evolution that do not stand up to your rigorous scrutiny. I can't wait to see your results, who knows, a Nobel could be in your future.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I wouldn't hold your breath..

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

If you want to believe that you are a BEAST, then you are. So worship yourself just like the bible says you will, and you DO!!!! A raptor turns into a chicken???? Stupidity preached from the pulpit of indoctrination. Stories of people slaying dragons are every where, yet we didn't walk with dinosaurs???? And thus we are FOOLS in your minds because we can see the bible is TRUTH.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Another_Nut

please shoe me a sucessful mutant from any species

Ok. Go outside and look around. See that tree or grass or dog or cat or person. They are all successful mutants.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Others have brought up that old falsehood already, It didn't impress me. But perhaps Another_Nut would have more luck selling it to fellow YEC's? ... oh, wait ...

AnswersinGenesis has the "no new species" claim on their list of "Arguments that should never be used".
Creation Ministries International says "New species have been observed to form."
The CreationWiki says "Species have been observed to form".

So, here we have a claim so flagrantly untrue that even the leading creationist loons have given up trying to sell it.
But here it is, Another_Nut trying to peddle it on ATS.
Insulting!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

MarsIsRed
If you use...

televisions, microwaves, computers, cars, medications, electricity, gas, health care, refrigerators, mobile phones, dentists, cameras, synthetic clothing etc (the list is far to long to continue)

...it suggests that you accept the scientific method.

does not follow.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join