It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britian is told to prepare for a winter of Horrors!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
hi all.

some English penpal friend of mine sent me a link about how Britain is supposed to descend into a winter near-unimaginable!

www.hulldailymail.co.uk...

BOSSES at East Yorkshire’s two authorities say they are ready to tackle whatever the predicted "horror winter" throws at them. As Britain braces itself for what is expected to be the coldest and longest winter in modern history, Hull City Council and East Riding Council have been preparing for it since the summer.

Long-range weather forecaster Exacta Weather has predicted above-average snowfall and plummeting temperatures in the north of England, with the first of the Arctic-like weather arriving next week – and lasting until February. An Exacta Weather spokesperson told the Mail: “The northern half of the country is likely to experience a run of well-below average temperatures for the vast majority of December and multiple major snow events. These will include some potentially dangerous blizzard conditions at times.”

www.express.co.uk...

HEAVY SNOW WARNING: Shock long range UK weather forecast for winter 2013

BRITAIN faces months of freezing winds and heavy snow as long-range forecasters predict a “horror winter” ahead.

sigh.

some " Inconvenient Truths,”, if global colding is in the works!

blog.heartland.org... age

One post on Felix’s website is about Victor Emanuel Velasco Herrera, a geophysicist at the University of Mexico, who predicts that the “Earth will enter a ‘Little Ice Age’ which will last from 60 to 80 years and may be caused by the decrease in solar activity.” You don’t have to be a geophysicist to figure out that less solar activity adds up to a colder Earth.

2014 is the year many scientists believe an ice age, “mini” or full-scale will begin. Herrera hedged his prediction saying that “with the mass production of current carbon dioxide (CO2) it is unlikely that we will see a major ice age like the one experienced 12,000 years ago.” Carbon Dioxide plays no role in warming the Earth. It is a very minor element of the Earth’s atmosphere.

The implications of an ice age, no matter how long or short, is its impact on the growing of crops to feed everyone. Dr. Tim Patterson of Canada’s Carleton University’s Department of Earth Sciences, in a May 18, 2007 article in the Calgary Times, wrote that satellite data “shows that by the year 2020 the next solar cycle is going to be solar cycle 25—the weakest one since the Little Ice Age (that started in the 13th century and ended around 1860)…

well...well..well.

I was afraid of that. I can see it now...the bumper sticker of 2020,

"BURN COAL TODAY; KEEP THE ICE AGE AWAY"!

even that, burning more coal, may not do much.

Apples might soon grow well in New Orleans area!
"gone with the wind" southern mansions sheltered by blue spruce trees and larches!

freestone

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Same as last year then ...bring it on

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This should go down well with black outs we're supposed to be getting with the power stations set to close this winter and gas prices going up.
It's gonna be a cold one!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The thing is I get really disappointed when they bring out these headlines and it amounts to nothing. I want to wake up and see four foot of the stuff

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Time to head South then I guess?

Cold winters were common when I was younger. It's only in the last 12-15 years that it became quite the norm for warmer than average winters. I welcome colder winters, it's the season that reminds you, you are alive.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I wish that would happen in the U.S. Kill off all the insects.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Having spent six years on the continent of Europe I personally know how cold it can get. I wish all those folks a warm winter despite what's being forecast for you. In the meantime I'll go out and ride my bike in the wonderful weather of northern California just north of San Francisco. My best to all.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

I spent a winter in London during the 80's. Apparently (at the time) it was the coldest winter they had had in over half a century. Big Ben broke from the cold.

Being from Northern North America I did not think it was too bad just a lot of the homes were not set up for that kind of cold.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I live in Yorkshire, soon as one snowflake hits the road, the whole county comes to a standstill. Other countries seem to cope well in 6ft of the stuff....get a grip uk, (pardon the pun].

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
How come everything nowadays is record breaking. You hear things like the biggest sunspot of the year...on January tenth. Or the biggest recorded snowfall ever on January 28th. Maybe it is a record on the 28th but it is normal on most days. Can't they just say...we had some bad weather and it looks like it is going to continue for awhile.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hull? Haha. Serves them right for not living in London.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
An overnight low of Zero Celsius isn't really that cold. Try minus 50 with a windchill of minus 70!

It's what you're used to.
Few homes have central heating there. Unless they do now?

If it snows lots it will insulate your home and keep it warmer.

Stock up on what you can. Food & water, torches, batteries, candles, matches, radio etc. in case of power outage. Stay off the roads because of oeople not knowing how to drive in snow.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It will be a winter of horrors for anyone betting all their money that it will really be a horrible winter.
I'll lay my money on it being less than half as bad as last year.

If they say it is black, it is white. No exceptions.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

sigh.

some " Inconvenient Truths,”, if global colding is in the works!

So a message from your friend about a predicted cold winter in UK (nowhere else included in the data) leads you to believe global warming is not real?

Global cooling on the other hand… Well, how does the Earth shift from warming to cooling without being in a warming period first?

I'm not trying to argue either side, simply understand your logic.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
SNOW-MA-GEDDON!!!!

The tabloids are trying to get our panties in a twist about the weather again. I think they should tone it down out of respect for the poor people of the Phillappines who are the most recent victims of true record breaking weather.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Yeah, the Express has been running sensationalist stories like this all week on their front page.

Its like I go to the supermarket, walk past the news stand and there it is....another day, another Daily Express you're gonna freeze headline sprawled across its cover.

Personally, I don't know much about exacta weather, not sure about their accuracy.

Piers Corbyn on the other hand to my mind, has a proven track record, this is what he had to say on his website....

"FACT: The Express extreme weather headlines have no reliability value when quoting the gentlemen and organisations in this article. Whereas they have been reliable when quoting our, WeatherAction, long range forecasts - eg for Dec 2010 coldest for 100 years [Heathrow pic above], which no-one else forecast and was confirmed; or the stupendous floods of summer 2012. "It is irresponsible for any newspaper to quote any "Forecasters" without also stating an independent measure of their skill or success rate. For information none of the gentlemen or organisations quoted above have long range forecasting skill and indeed the Met Office's efforts in that direction have been to make "forecasts" which were usually the opposite to what took place. The floods in the Met office "BBQ summers" of 2007, 2008 and 2009 bear this out. Wisely, therefore, in this article the MO are very circumspect because they now know that they actually know nothing about long range forecasts. Thank you, Piers Corbyn, WeatherAction"

Source

I don't think he is saying it is out and out wrong, from what I can gleam even Corbyn thinks we are in for more of the same as last winter.

But I do think the Express has gone a little overboard this week, where no other news source has.

One thing is for certain, I won't be following the Met Office.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
since the Netherlands also had predicted and warned for an horror winter..we can say that the forcasters are in one line?

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
I wish that would happen in the U.S. Kill off all the insects.

that would really be the end of mankind... we need insects ! :-)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It won't be that bad, it never is. We will probably get a slither of snow for a day or 2.

I like snow. More the better!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Come on, the Express again? They just keep saying this.

I'd love it to snow a lot, don't get me wrong, but I feel it unlikely.
Additionally, most forecasts seem to point toward a normal sort of winter. And as someone who enjoys winter hill walking, that's almost annoying. On that note, 2011 and 2012 had winter conditions present on the hills by about mid/late October. This year, last weekend had enough for one Ski centre (Cairngorms) to open, which has since lost it's snow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join