Little Caesars Commercial and the Attitude that is Strangling America.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I was watching a football game a few weeks ago(what else would I be watching?
) and saw this commercial(crappy quality. Turn up the speakers):

"Where's the beef?" you might ask. The dude has an opinion. The lady says otherwise and then EVERYONE that has her opinion jumps in to validate their point while putting him down. No biggie? I think it is. It's an attitude of self validation and intimidation. Group think versus independent thought.

"Isn't that reaching a bit intrepid"? If this didn't appeal to a persons base thought why would a corporation use this type of marketing ploy? We at ATS see it daily. Look at the MSM, it's RANK with that stuff. It must resonate with a significant portion of the populous or it wouldn't be used. These guys consider many aspects to set up marketing. Commonality helps to attract a larger market. Thus this attitude must be prevalent or why use it?

Being "right"(which is perception) isn't enough. It has to be validated by others. Not only were you right you "OWNED" the other person. That is not conducive to thinking or constructive dialog. So let's see where this goes. Is the point valid or will I be OWNED?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The word "owning", in the current slang usage, is attitude-revealing in itself.
Using the word in that sense means siding with the victor.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Main stream is also conditioning us to mind everyones business. Privacy? Whats that?

Which is different from the internet for instance. If you bring it here you don't mind being public. The conversation between intimates walking the street is nobodies business but their own.

My two cents

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You'd be surprised how vile this seems to someone who hasn't watched commercial teevee in, oh, 13 years or so.

I like what Peter Joseph of the Zeitgeist Movement said in one of his lectures, and I paraphrase, 'if you're in advertising, kill yourself. Now. (audience laughed). No, really I MEAN it. Kill yourself....'

Of course, the idea is that we cannot continue infinite resource burn on a finite planet. At this point, it's starting to look like everybody's selling, but hardly anyone is buying. And the oceans of the world are filled with plastic and radiation due to greed and stupidity dating back 40 years ago now. Kinda makes you wonder what the next 40 years will look like if we don't get our act together, and soon.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

signalfire
You'd be surprised how vile this seems to someone who hasn't watched commercial teevee in, oh, 13 years or so.

I like what Peter Joseph of the Zeitgeist Movement said in one of his lectures, and I paraphrase, 'if you're in advertising, kill yourself. Now. (audience laughed). No, really I MEAN it. Kill yourself....'

Of course, the idea is that we cannot continue infinite resource burn on a finite planet. At this point, it's starting to look like everybody's selling, but hardly anyone is buying. And the oceans of the world are filled with plastic and radiation due to greed and stupidity dating back 40 years ago now. Kinda makes you wonder what the next 40 years will look like if we don't get our act together, and soon.

Great post. I watch tv, but avoid almost all the commercials. When I do see one I'm like you, the things are vile. In their manipulation of the human psyche, in how they try to install fear in people and the only way to overcome what they're supposed to fear is buy a particular product, and then there's the ads for meat, milk, soda, cheese pizzas and all the sugar products - directed straight at children!
edit on 16-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I think you bring up a great point and is very indicative of the way many people think today.

The list of causes for this is long: everything from the ubiquity of the internet, TV, cellphones (or as I like to call it - My children's "window of observation"), schools and their overboard PC-mentality, etc.

We no longer teach kids to think for themselves and have the courage of their convictions. You can't be right unless all of your friends agree that you're right.

It's not bad enough that we're training people to be sheeple. We have become a self-reinforcing sheeple making mechanism.

It's pathetic. We should be ashamed of ourselves.
edit on 11/16/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Great post. I watch tv, but avoid almost all the commercials.

Commercials are the worst part of TV. Wheres the remote? Click-- muted. With all the technology today there should be a programmable feature that self mutes when a commercial is detected. For a while (way back machine) they actually sold TVs that auto muted when detecting the difference in audio compression that heralds a commercial break.

But that defeats the whole purpose of TV, don't it? We can orbit a craft around Pluto, but are relegated to the blind grope for the remote when ads interfere with our leisure.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I'm pretty sure that was Bill Hicks. Did he at least give reference?

www.youtube.com...

Either way all commercials are annoying to me. Except the occasional Geico commercial.

As far as this commercial promoting group think, marketing always does that. How else do you think name brands sell for three times the amount of low brand name products?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm currently helping out a neighbor who is a hemiplegic in a wheelchair. Her elderly mother has Fox News on the whole time I'm there and it's been quite the education, between that and the mother's bible thumping; I hear a lot about 'EEEVVVILLLLL' and 'what God wants us to do'. I'm getting a lot of practice in holding my tongue.

The commercials were by turns appalling and durned amusing. Half were for crap food, and the other half were for medicines to cure you of the heartburn/erectile dysfunction/diabetes/heart disease/hemorrhoids the food caused...

I read somewhere recently that you should never eat foods that have to be advertised. Seems like a good plan overall. When's the last time you heard a commercial for broccoli? Or fresh fruit?

And meanwhile, the Laetrile (from Mexico) that I take every day is banned in the US and that there cyanide will kill me..

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

signalfire

Agreed! I haven't been without tv as long as you but it's been almost 3yrs and when I see commercials while at my moms or a friends they tend to creep me out. They are so BAD! My mom tells me how she loves commercials and would miss them if she didn't have cable. I am trying to get her into streaming with a Roku device since cable is expensive and pointless but she is set on those commercials!

I find them to be kind of crude and rude compared to what i remember and that wasn't all that long ago. I think this LC commercial is stupid tbh. I know the whole "owned" thing is a slang term now but I don't even like it in those terms. It's stupid and nobody "owns" you...or do they?! :O

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

You may be right about the Bill Hicks reference, but I'm pretty sure PJ said it too. Darn, now I'll have to look through all those lectures again.

PJ was in advertising for a while, as well as doing day trading. He has a rather unique perspective on both subjects along with a voluminous amount of reading on economic and social theory.

Both men were/are geniuses, there is no doubt about that.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

signalfire
I'm currently helping out a neighbor who is a hemiplegic in a wheelchair. Her elderly mother has Fox News on the whole time I'm there and it's been quite the education, between that and the mother's bible thumping; I hear a lot about 'EEEVVVILLLLL' and 'what God wants us to do'. I'm getting a lot of practice in holding my tongue.

Ugh my mom has Fox News on and I make her change it when I'm there because I am not good with holding my tongue in.

The commercials were by turns appalling and durned amusing. Half were for crap food, and the other half were for medicines to cure you of the heartburn/erectile dysfunction/diabetes/heart disease/hemorrhoids the food caused... [/qutoe]
Very true! They also go on for about a minute with possible side effects...yea I'll pass.

I read somewhere recently that you should never eat foods that have to be advertised. Seems like a good plan overall. When's the last time you heard a commercial for broccoli? Or fresh fruit?

Never thought of that til now, you don't see produce commercials. It's always for the junk!

And meanwhile, the Laetrile (from Mexico) that I take every day is banned in the US and that there cyanide will kill me..

That is crazy!

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'll have to watch that commercial with a new eye now.

The last TV spot that made me sit up was the "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" one where the woman is letting the sheep out of the hotel room the morning after.

So I guess I'm probably jaded.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
One of the posters said that commercials were the worst part of television.
in 1999 there was a landmark in American history: more homes in America had cable television than had running water.

the landmark was there were more sewage pipes coming in to homes in America than there were going out.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

DISRAELI

The word "owning", in the current slang usage, is attitude-revealing in itself.
Using the word in that sense means siding with the victor.

and also "pwnage"

like... that was MAJOR pwnage on behalf of the victor!

"pwnage - Pure Ownage as used in online gaming to stress your superiority on all levels. Spawned from the root word pwn, which originated as a misspelling of the word own. Hence this stupid word is two screw-ups away from anything close to english.
William's pwnage in that game was complete and utter."

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

"Owned" started as actually a fairly legitimate description of what it represented in the 90's--basically, if a hacker "owned" a network, that mean that he quite literally stole the ownership of that network and could do whatever he wanted with it. It was picked up by gamers (quite a few in the 90's dabbled in hacking) for use after defeating another person in a videogame when the victor's skill clearly trumped the loser's. Basically, it went from describing a hacker of skill "owning" a network through superior skill to simply being an indicator of superior skill that caused the defeat of another. Over the last few years, this kind of erroneous use has spread so that now you see a lot of teenagers (and perhaps some adults) using it to describe anything or even simply just trolling. (And for those who are curious, the corresponding "pwned" started out as a typo in IRC that caught on in 1999-2000 but its use died out.) As a gamer, I never really liked the "owned" statement in its current usage or even in the in-game usage from way back when for the same reasons cited. It implies ownership of a person which then implies subservience or slavery. Pass. In its original use, it made sense and was accurate. Not in its current usage but it's also meant to offend and "troll" in its current usage.

I think that the Little Caeser's ad is rather a kind of an absurd reflection of our online encounters, particularly on youtube. There's a serious ridiculousness going on in the commercial where you see these unexpected individuals using the terminology that is generally associated with teenagers. They look dumb and yes, they are chiming in on a conversation that is frankly none of their business. I don't see it so much as social conditioning but social critique. It's basically showing us how idiotic we may act online.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I hate that commercial. Yes, the whole "group think" mob mentality idea is definitely used in this 30 seconds of idiocy. Oh well, what else can Little Caesar's do? Their pizza sucks. Only a group of morons humiliating a person would get them to eat it.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

signalfire

Not to sound picky at all, but that quote comes from the often great, late comedian Bill Hicks. And of course, he was right.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

signalfire
reply to post by OrphanApology

You may be right about the Bill Hicks reference, but I'm pretty sure PJ said it too. Darn, now I'll have to look through all those lectures again.

PJ was in advertising for a while, as well as doing day trading. He has a rather unique perspective on both subjects along with a voluminous amount of reading on economic and social theory.

Both men were/are geniuses, there is no doubt about that.

He very well may have. But unless he said it previously to the early 1990's, he borrowed it from a Bill Hicks routine.
edit on 16-11-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
I hate that commercial. Yes, the whole "group think" mob mentality idea is definitely used in this 30 seconds of idiocy. Oh well, what else can Little Caesar's do? Their pizza sucks. Only a group of morons humiliating a person would get them to eat it.

Yep, my grandma bought i pie of their pizza home last year, and i was more than unimpressed, there pizza is not worth consumption, at all.

I avoid general TV if can. Sex, violence, cop show after cop show, stupid promiscuity, partying. All the cleverness and creativity is DEAD. Even a show i did love in it's first 3 seasons, breaking bad, lost it's unique pizzazz in the fourth, and wen from a bit stale to quite boring in the fifth. I just generally can't stand T.V.

But i do appreciate a creative or funny commercial. Most of them are in your face and obvious bad, though. Like the adds about psoriasis, where the people are presented as insecure, apologetic, and scared around other people because of their skin condition, and taking the stupid pill will make you feel confident and free around people again. Or the e-trade, one where being manly, grizzled, experienced, and doing physical stuff outdoors means you need e-trade for your financial investment.

T.V. controls the masses, whether some want it or not. What e think, feel, or do is coordinated by those who produce our programming. The group think is the most powerful of those facets of our social makeup that they take advantage of. Group think can be utilized in society for the advantage of all, bu this is how they exploit it.

Don't watch the TV, people. Not even the sports. Turn it off, keep it off.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join