It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS, WW3 and the Spread of Information

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I was wondering...during world war 1 and 2, information was kept secret, there was propaganda to confuse the enemy, false troop reports were everywhere etc......

What i was wondering was during a third world war this wouldn't be possible due to the internet... people in occupied terrorties could just post troop movements on the net and their allies would get up to date information.

Could ATS be a possible 'hive' of information due to there being people from all over the world?

Could ATS make a difference?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
IMO...if and when WW3 does occur, nuclear weapons will have been used, I doubt there would be a lot of communication lines left.........thus no Internet..again..IMO

The Internet Post-Apocalypse

There's a common myth that the Internet could survive a nuclear attack.

If the Internet, or pieces of it, did withstand such a war, how would it be used post-apocalypse?

Would the Internet itself be used to wage war?

Would it become a sole source of information for the surviving masses?

Or would it be too cluttered with dead sites and falsehoods to be worth anything?

www.netvalley.com...

[edit on 17-11-2004 by NetStorm]

[edit on 17-11-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Of cours it could. But would it want to? You would be inviting the wrath of some pissed off countrys government. Not something I would want.

Having said that, I still dont see this stopping it from happenning though. You have to ask yourself,out of all the difference of opinion on this board, what is the one thing that holds us all together, the one thing we all fundamentally believe in?

Freedom of information my friend.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
in such a catastrophic scenario the internet will be a vital tool of information. if a disaster were to occur this might be the only way of communicating with other people. would the US govt put the internet on lockdown if it were inciting anomosity towards them(which it most likely would, were we to partake in an agressive campaign)? if they were to nullify the internet somehow, would we be able to rectify? or would we have to send letters on our bikes?

[edit on 17-11-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
IMO...if and when WW3 does occur, nuclear weapons will have been used, I doubt there would be a lot of communication lines left.........thus no Internet..again..IMO

What about ww3 without mass nuclear strikes??

The internet will still be there, what i was wondering was whether ATS would be used (unofficially by the members) as a method of information sharing.
Would people post troop enemy movements, supply lines etc

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

The internet will still be there, what i was wondering was whether ATS would be used (unofficially by the members) as a method of information sharing.

Don't see why they wouldn't but then, it would be kinda like the radio transmitters of WW2 if they got caught then they would be considered spies (depending of course who caught them) I would imagine that things would go WiFi, but then there would be WAR drivers looking for WiFi's and so on.
A lot of misinformation would probably be spread also as it is today

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
you cant really lock down the net though, i mean the net is so big now its almost impossible. also there is alot of knowledge around about how to use the net, from routers to ftp etc. maybe it would be smaller networks off the net?? even if the whole backbone of the net was gone (all the crucial routers and servers) people could still dial a number (if the existing telephone infrastructure was intact) to a foreign server etc and spread news.

it depends on what the or a war would be like, how fast, nuclear or standard conventional warfare, where the war was etc. problem is it wont be like wwII, imagine if the net was around then! a SERIOUS third world war would unfortunitly more than likely involve some form of nuclear warfare (has anyone heard the rumours about America using low threshold nukes even in Iraqi? Tactile nukes for example?) but in that case im hidding under my bed and aint near a keyboard!

we live in the information age, more than likey we'd watch the first 3 mins of WWIII on CNN and then just get snow

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
In my opinion nuclear weapons wouldn't be used in WW3 for a while. I think the various super powers of the world would attempt to use it's Army, Air Force and Navy before resorting to a desperate nuclear strike which would be the end of whoever launches. I feel it is safe to assume the war would be a long, drawn out war with massive losses (millions, perhaps billions) before even the first tactical nuke is used.

As far as the Internet goes, the Internet is not something that can be destroyed. The Internet is a mass of different computers and components connected to one another and communicating back and forth. No one government can stop people from logging on and sending information, atleast not without either destroying the world. There will always be the ability for at very least a small number individuals communicating through the lines.

The Internet will be a vital tool and will save a great deal of people. Those who use it each day will recieve advanced warning of the events to come. The news (if not your nations news, the news of a foreign nation) will tell the stories of the events to come, what it happening and we willl be able to prepare. Even if that isn't the case, average people will see troops landing on the shores or bombing from the skies and will jump online and spread the word.

In the event that WW3 did occur in our lifetimes, the Internet would proove its worth, that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

First, would people even find out this info? Enemy movements, supply lines? Good luck.

This entire idea I only see useful to civilians or post-war militia's that would form, for whatever reason they may need this info for. Survival maybe..

But as for your countries armies getting useful info, leave that to them, they're decades ahead of what you can even imagine. Spying has been taken advantage of fully for that edge over opponents

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
i would say ats helps, but it's more the internet and instantaneous communications that will make a difference.

top topics

join