It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seems like VR gaming is starting to finally take off....Faith Popcorn was right all along!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This could be very interesting. I could see this going big in no time. It opens up a all kinds of possibilities when you think about it.

Just kidding ha ha... okay lets try again...

www.oculusvr.com...

edit on 16-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The oculous rift looks like an amazing bit of kit and i cannot wait for them to become really afford able.

Even if not for gaming, a flight on a plane would go so much faster if i had a blacked out 3d movie theatre on my face

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Reminds me of "4d" theatres… Why is it no matter what year this kind of stuff is produced in, it still looks like they are using N64 developers to render it?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Wikipedia: Oculus Rift

The Oculus Rift is an upcoming virtual reality head-mounted display. It is being developed by Oculus VR, who have raised $16 million, of which $2.4 million was raised with crowdfunding via Kickstarter.[4] The company was founded by Palmer Luckey and the co-founders of Scaleform, and id Software cofounder John Carmack was later hired as its Chief Technology Officer.[5] Developer kits are in the process of being shipped out.

Seems like a good investment opportunity, as the makers of those videos kept on describing it as the best quality VR, that gives Oculus Rift some credibility.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

If the military would just let loose some of its VR tech it would probably make the Oculus rift look like a children's cartoon. Secret tech is hidden while the people of the nation's involved pay for the privilege of being kept in the dark. thanks for the thread, this will be fun to play with once the technology advances a little more - looks too unrealistic now.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The rift is pretty cool, but out of the six of us that tried it three got sick in 15 seconds to 15 minutes. It comes with different lenses to accommodate different vision ranges but it's not going to go well if you aren't close to one of them.

Personally I thought it was really cool although the resolution was too low considering it's just an LCD screen mounted in front of the lenses. The screen get's divided in 1/2 (one for each eye) meaning that if you have a 1920 x 1080 screen (which this is NOT) then your only getting 960 x 1080.

So at it's present state I give it a solid "meh". It will get better as it is in its infancy, but try it before you buy it.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rockn82

I had a feeling it wasn't all that the vids portrayed it as. Maybe some of the people testing the device in the vids, knowing they were being filmed, oooohhhh and ahhhhd a liitle more than they felt like doing. And then again, the vid makers got to pick and choose who they put on the final cut, and your experience likely would have not made it.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Meh, is this route really that exciting?

I've been a gamer since I've had a SNES at age 7 and I'm not a fan of this transition into more interactive gaming. First it was 3D televisions which I wasn't interested in at all and now you have things like Oculus Rift and Kinnect all attempting to make the experience more physical. I've always been able to immerse myself in and enjoy gaming with a simple pad, I don't want to be looking around with my actual physical head and have to move my actual arms completely to play the game - wtf? I guess I just don't get it, the gaming demographic has changed significantly over the past 5 or so years.

The only way I personally would be interested in VR is when it's at the stage of direct sensory manipulation, I.e the matrix. So effectively, the neuron pathways that decode your eyes vision, ears hearing, noses smell etc are hijacked by a virtual input and this experienced by you in a completely natural and real life way. Basically man made dreams.

But even then, although it all sounds cool right now it will NOT be good for society. You think TPTB have got the people docile now with TVs? When full VR comes out and you have the multitude of 'games' at disposal which could include life like sex or life like war games you think people will still want to live in this world?

Most people already spend the majority of ther lives on virtual networks/the Internet and in front of their television, imagine how bad it will be when full scale VR is commercial. It will be the ultimate 'drug' and people will gladly work in any # conditions just to afford their VR habit. People will die from spending too long in ther VR experience and not choosing to 'wake up', just like people died playing WoW for many hours straight. It will only get worse and I can't share the excitement for this technology. It's evolution could be the nail in the coffin for the 'natural human'.

edit on 16-11-2013 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Well honestly my initial reaction was the same as theirs. I said "Oh, damn that's cool!" But, that sensation is more of a novelty as the reality of having a weight strapped to the front of your face for 15 minutes sets in. I played team fortress for a bit and it was certainly neat, it just didn't last long. New toy syndrome : )

I do hope it is around long enough to branch some really good vr stuff off of, but if anybody is looking for amazing and functional in daily life, check out the Leap Motion.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I was one of the first people to sign up and order one through their kickstarter. Can't wait to get my kit.

Can't wait to play star citizen with it either.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Ya I hear you. I've tried a few head mounted displays and stuff like that. I was impressed for watching movies. Ya it's hard to say. It's possible though that now there's some kind of even reasonable benchmark that given perhaps 5 years it might get to a point where it might be worth getting. By then it might be far lighter weight, etc

new topics

top topics

join