It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man lets himself die while having faith that God will heal him

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

This man gave up, because he didn't have wisdom to go to where help was at. And his wife, gave up as well. But let's just blame it on Christianity, when this man obviously had limited understand and knowledge of scripture.

Indy, why are you making this into a Christian-bashing, persecutory thread?

Read what you wrote as quoted above.
"This man had limited understanding and knowledge of scripture." Now, I want to ask you to calmly reflect on how many people claiming "Christianity" DO NOT HAVE THOROUGH UNDERSTANDING AND KNOWLEDGE of scripture.

Many, many people have limited understanding, and even more have limited knowledge. I read somewhere the other day that about half of Americans calling themselves "Christians" don't even know the names of the four Canonical Gospel "writers."

I have come to the conclusion over the years that, as others have said, the problems started when the Bible became available to EVERYONE to read - and interpret as they saw fit. Which is a travesty. They can read it, but most have no clue about the actual history of the times, and that's like giving a 2nd grader the tools to make an atomic bomb and a doctorate-level text to use for 'instructions' . It's a disaster.

The guy had obvious mental health issues; AND he was apparently aware enough of scripture to commit a slow, painful suicide instead of getting help. Religion has damaged MANY, MANY people, in many ways.

You can review members' stories in the link in my sig for a few dozen of those first-hand damages.

Are suicide bombers mentally ill? Or are they just unaware Muslims? Both. And their clerics encourage it.

This man was BOTH an unaware Bible-reader AND mentally ill. Too bad no one knew he was dying in that trailer to come and help him. That's what case managers are for. It's ignorance on both accounts: not only of scripture, but of available services -- and REEKS of mental illness.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

"God helps those who help themself"

Its not a bible passage actually.

But God does work through us. So he should have seen a doctor.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Isn't it funny how two people of the same religion can display such polar mentalities regarding modern medicine? Really says something, that. And it wouldn't be so remarkable if it weren't just the tip of the iceberg concerning divergent practices and beliefs springing from a singular source.
edit on 17-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well that is something right wingers often say and claim its biblical. God helps those who help themselves. Its not in the bible at all. What is, would be James, and various passages to help one another and the example the early Christians gave about sharing, and Christ's example of sharing meager stock, the loaves and fishes and the miracles that would follow.

But we're not supposed to be little birds waiting for momma bird to come back. We're supposed to want to GROW UP.

We're all infinite parts of infinity and one with God.

By the way, Im gnostic Christian. When you bring up Genesis 32 30, and pineal as the city Jacob met God, you'd be surprised how others try to knock it out of the water by quoting another scripture. When it just means that all the scriptures are metaphors.
edit on 17-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

But we're not supposed to be little birds waiting for momma bird to come back. We're supposed to want to GROW UP.

We're all infinite parts of infinity and one with God.

Yes. That^^.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well on watching the interview, this is just as much about lack of health care, than it is about faith healing. Because, 300 dollars might as well be 1 million when you don't have the money. And Health Care should be universal.

According to that link, they would have gotten treatment if they had the money.

So this is not just a stubborn man trying to improve his life by a miracle, but a real evil pyramid system, dog eat dog nation that doesnt look after its own people and have top notch universal health care for all.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Read through the thread. We've already established some things re that.

ETA: What happened to the OP? It was a hit-and-run thread?

edit on 11/17/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

What did you expect? A solid conclusion to a religious slapstick routine?
edit on 18-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

What did you expect? A solid conclusion to a religious slapstick routine?

Erm. Uhhh....
what? I guess I expect OPs to "host" their threads, not just toss a firecracker into the room and split.

What do you mean in the second question? "solid conclusion to a religious slapstick routine?" I'm not getting your drift.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

What do you mean in the second question? "solid conclusion to a religious slapstick routine?" I'm not getting your drift.

Every religious thread has become a slapstick routine. Throw poop until everyone is covered in it, yell about who started it and whose smells better, then get tired and leave to clean up. Resume the next day.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

How do you know he suffered from an overwhelming sense of hopelessness? Or depression? The article claims he posted sermons online and sent faith texts to people. That doesn't, in any way, sound like a depressed man to me. It sounds like a man of faith who believed, without a doubt, that God would heal him.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

How do you know he suffered from an overwhelming sense of hopelessness? Or depression?

When a 550 lb man, who can't come up with $300 for a DR's appointment, sits his naked butt in a recliner and never gets up for 8 months, even to use the bathroom, gains another 250 lbs and dies in a pile of his own excrement in that recliner, THAT IS the picture of hopelessness and depression.

The article claims he posted sermons online and sent faith texts to people.

A cry for attention and help.

That doesn't, in any way, sound like a depressed man to me. It sounds like a man of faith who believed, without a doubt, that God would heal him.

His faith failed him. Please, do mankind a favor and don't go into the medical or counseling profession.

edit on 21-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

windword
When a 550 lb man, who can't come up with $300 for a DR's appointment, sits his naked butt in a recliner and never gets up for 8 months, even to use the bathroom, gains another 250 lbs and dies in a pile of his own excrement in that recliner, THAT IS the picture of hopelessness and depression.

Fair enough on the hopelessness. Of sorts. I mean, he had hope that God would heal him. I imagine his wife was far more depressed than he was, though.

His faith failed him.

In the fact that he died without God providing him a miracle, yes, but maybe not in the afterlife.

Please, do mankind a favor and don't go into the medical or counseling profession.

LOL No, never planned on it, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join