It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King of Gore joins T Rex family Tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hadn't seen this posted yet and thought it was worth sharing.

Presenting, Lythronax argestes, otherwise known as, Gore King of the Southwest, or The King of Gore, whichever you prefer. And what a beauty she/he is.

Mr. Gore here would be, thus far, the oldest known member of the Tyrannosaurus rex family and was first discovered by an Bureau of Land Management employee in 2009 in Southern Utah.

Here's an article for further reading. Uncle Gore

The 80m-year-old fossil of Lythronax argestes was found in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in the desert of southern Utah. The two-legged carnivorous beast was eight metres long and weighed around 2.5 tonnes. It had a head full of sharp teeth and lived during the Late Cretaceous period, between 95m and 65m years ago.

The animal lived in a place scientists call Laramidia, an island of swampy, subtropical land that stretched from Mexico to Alaska. It formed on the western side of a sea that flooded the central region of North America between 95m and 70m years ago.

And here's a nifty video directly from the Natural History Museum of Utah with some further details.

Just thought I'd share this significant dinosaur find.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OlympusMons

Had not heard of this new candidate for 'best new nightmare' !
Seems everything gets bigger and stronger the further we go back ...

Oh! Is that Gimli in your last vid ??

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Timely

Had not heard of this new candidate for 'best new nightmare' !
Seems everything gets bigger and stronger the further we go back ...

Oh! Is that Gimli in your last vid ??

Ha! Gimli? Is that you? I believe it is. He's definitely changed his fashion sense these days and is trying for a more sensible look with the flowery shirt.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

flag and star and a geese for a well presented and quite informative OP. I once killed a tyrannosaurus rex that was eating the neighborhood cats, and it looked pretty similar to the new discovery. Thanks for the thread!
edit on 16-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Any relation to manbearpig? Or is the name similarity is just a coincidence?

I find the artists drawing very odd the way so many of the top teeth stick outside the mouth.

That doesn't look right, does it?

In any case I wouldn't want to meet this guy or T-Rex on a dark night 80 million years ago.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Thanks for the comment and kind words. So, you killed a T rex? That certainly brings up a lot of questions. You must live in some Land of the Lost or Valley of Gwangi type world. Perhaps Alligator/Crocodile country? Can't really feel bad for those cats though....sorry.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hmm, the manbearpig relation is one I'll have to investigate further. Although, I'm a little frightened to go anywhere near Al Gore's imagination.

Yes, the artists depiction of our Gore King here is a bit odd looking and I'm sure a little creative license may have been used. However, it's my understanding that those protruding upper teeth may have something to do with the U-shaped upper jaw and the narrower lower jaw as well as the presence of incisors. I guess tyrannosaurids had overbites, with the lower jaw fitting up inside the upper jaw.

I too would hate to have anything remotely close to this chasing after me. It would not be a pleasant experience. Thanks for commenting.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Arbitrageur
In any case I wouldn't want to meet this guy or T-Rex on a dark night 80 million years ago.

It would make a hell of a supper, though. T-Rex à la Louisiana style. Just dump it in a frying pan. Tastes like chicken, only you have tons of it...

top topics

join