It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Has anyone ever seen a storm produce 300mph winds across an area 1/3rd the size of the United States land mass?

Hang tight.

There are powers out here a whole lot bigger than sorcery, wicca, illuminated intent etc.

link   

Donkey_Dean
You have faith in your beliefs all the same.

I have science.
It makes no room for faith.

-Peace-

link   

SisyphusRide

GargIndia
reply to post by CornShucker

I advise people to understand the basics of different religions and then make a choice. Only an adult (25 or older) should be allowed to choose a religion.

you do realize there are probably more spiritual people in the world than just who attend a church or whatever gathering their belief calls for correct?

spirituality and religion are two separate things...

Prideful prayer is even warned against. (Please don't ask me for chapter and verse. I'll always admit I've never been good at that...)

One of the most spiritual experiences in my entire Life took place back at the little log cabin that my twin brother and I had built back in our parent's woods. It was during a snowfall that was dropping snowflakes the size of nickels and I've never bent my knee in a more serene or sanctified place.

The biggest quandary of my life has been why it all has to be so complicated. When you look someone new in the eye, smile and mean it. Same way with the handshake or hug. Until they prove me wrong, I accept everyone as a friend I've just met. Given the choice, I'd much rather go down for being too loving and trusting than being withdrawn and cold-hearted.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

No room for faith huh? An educated guess touted as the answer is faith pure and simple! You sir are just as close minded and the same! Its not like you can help it all humans have faith in some belief as it pertains to creation.

I bet you would even like to burn some folks for being heretics. If atheists were so empowered what do you think would happen? You sir are cut from the same mold and there is no changing it!

edit on 17-11-2013 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Since he lives in Toronto it's a safe assumption he already has.
Not many people in Toronto haven't been to Detroit...it's the closest largest American city.

-Peace-

got a great mayor there, too.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

CornShucker

SisyphusRide

GargIndia
reply to post by CornShucker

I advise people to understand the basics of different religions and then make a choice. Only an adult (25 or older) should be allowed to choose a religion.

you do realize there are probably more spiritual people in the world than just who attend a church or whatever gathering their belief calls for correct?

spirituality and religion are two separate things...

Prideful prayer is even warned against. (Please don't ask me for chapter and verse. I'll always admit I've never been good at that...)

One of the most spiritual experiences in my entire Life took place back at the little log cabin that my twin brother and I had built back in our parent's woods. It was during a snowfall that was dropping snowflakes the size of nickels and I've never bent my knee in a more serene or sanctified place.

The biggest quandary of my life has been why it all has to be so complicated. When you look someone new in the eye, smile and mean it. Same way with the handshake or hug. Until they prove me wrong, I accept everyone as a friend I've just met. Given the choice, I'd much rather go down for being too loving and trusting than being withdrawn and cold-hearted.

the atheist is a dangerous lot, their mental disorder effects society on a larger scale than even the church of satan. you don't hear nothing from the satanist on these forums, yet they have been established in the world much longer than the atheists.

atheism gives us columbine and sandy hook... I firmly believe this, and this lot needs to be spanked!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Donkey_Dean
You have faith in your beliefs all the same.

I have science.
It makes no room for faith.

-Peace-

what kind of science?

where did you get science?

did you invent science?

did you discover all that you believe, about science?

she blinded me, with science!!

edit on 302408111130pm2013 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

One belief system is not better than another!

The Catholic church is the bloodiest on the planet and more have suffered and died in Christ's name than any other. Atheists hands are allot less bloody!

The last execution of the Inquisition was finally carried out in Spain on July 26, 1826. This was the execution of the school teacher, Cayetano Ripoll, for the teaching of Deism in his school. In Spain the practices of the Inquisition were finally outlawed in 1834.

According to Henry Charles Lea,[27] between 1540 and 1826, tribunals in Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra and Évora resulted in the burning of 1,175 persons, the burning of another 633 in effigy, and the penancing of 29,590. But documentation of 15 out of 689[28] autos-da-fé has disappeared, so these numbers may slightly understate the activity.

Have you ever met a immigrant from Mexico that was not a devote Catholic? Do you know why?
en.wikipedia.org...
The Mexican Inquisition was an extension of the Spanish Inquisition into the New World. The Spanish Conquest of Mexico was not only a political event for the Spanish, but a religious event as well. In the early 16th century, the Reformation, the Counter-Reformation and the Inquisition were in full force in most of Europe. The Spaniards had just re-conquered the Iberian Peninsula, giving them special status within the Roman Catholic realm, including great liberties in the conversion of the native peoples of Mesoamerica. When the Inquisition was brought to the New World, it was employed for many of the same reasons and against the same social groups as suffered in Europe itself, minus the Indians to a large extent. Almost all of events associated with the official establishment of the Holy Office of the Inquisition occurred in Mexico City, where the Holy Office had its own “palace”, which is now the Museum of Medicine of UNAM on Republica de Brasil street. The official period of the Inquisition lasted from 1571 to 1820, with an unknown number of victims.[1][2]

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

No. religion is a mental order, we are hardwired to it. The power of faith and belief is something that has huge influence in the choices we make and how we navigate life. It is precisely because of this that organizations attempt to co-opt our minds and control our knowledge...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by beatbox

No. religion is a mental order, we are hardwired to it. The power of faith and belief is something that has huge influence in the choices we make and how we navigate life. It is precisely because of this that organizations attempt to co-opt our minds and control our knowledge...

Well said, faith and belief is part of a healthy human psyche. You truly are lost without faith in your life! Well maybe not lost, but most certainly not conscious.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

tsingtao

Eryiedes

Since he lives in Toronto it's a safe assumption he already has.
Not many people in Toronto haven't been to Detroit...it's the closest largest American city.

-Peace-

got a great mayor there, too.

edit on 17-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Yeah its our so called friends weather manipulation technology at work. Do as I say or else!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Donkey_Dean
No room for faith huh? An educated guess touted as the answer is faith pure and simple! You sir are just as close minded and the same! Its not like you can help it all humans have faith in some belief as it pertains to creation.

This is just emotional sentiment with little or no value.

I bet you would even like to burn some folks for being heretics. If atheists were so empowered what do you think would happen?

We wouldn't be burning people at the stake for being a witch, that's for sure!

You sir are cut from the same mold and there is no changing it!

Gee, we're all human beings...you come up with that by yourself?

While your examples are interesting, they unfortunately are from "What the bleep do we know?".
That's pretty much as new age wishy-washy as you can get. What's next? Clips from Zeitgeist?
Just because our current level of science can't explain everything under the sun (and never will) does not imply god is the only answer.

Once more, I invite you to refute the medical evidence I presented on ideology being a toxin to the human condition, whether political or religious.
If not, I fear we are just spinning our wheels here.

-Peace-
edit on 18-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by beatbox

hardwired? then,

how is it a disorder?

it's evolution, ain't it?

lol!

you people trying to change what we are born with?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Eryiedes

Donkey_Dean

This is just emotional sentiment with little or no value.

I bet you would even like to burn some folks for being heretics. If atheists were so empowered what do you think would happen?

We wouldn't be burning people at the stake for being a witch, that's for sure!

You sir are cut from the same mold and there is no changing it!

Gee, we're all human beings...you come up with that by yourself?

While your examples are interesting, they unfortunately are from "What the bleep do we know?".
That's pretty much as new age wishy-washy as you can get.
Just because our current level of science can't explain everything under the sun (and never will) does not imply god is the only answer.

Once more, I invite you to refute the medical evidence I presented on ideology being a toxin to the human condition, whether political or religious.
If not, I fear we are just spinning our wheels here.

-Peace-

maybe not burning, but re-education camps?

SCIENCE WILL NEVER EXPLAIN EVERYTHING, SO WHY TOUT IT AS THE END ALL?
oops, sorry bout that.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

tsingtao

If you research the FEMA camps you'll find they are championed and financed by a religious majority...not an atheist minority.
Aside from that your comment is simply trolling and meant to be inflamatory.

Because it beats lying to yourself and pretending it's the truth.
(Which I might add is a sure sign of psychosis...)

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Eryiedes

tsingtao

If you research the FEMA camps you'll find they are championed and financed by a religious majority...not an atheist minority.
Aside from that your comment is simply trolling and meant to be inflamatory.

Because it beats lying to yourself and pretending it's the truth.
(Which I might add is a sure sign of psychosis...)

-Peace-

i never said FEMA, did I? and now you are trolling, link to where it is religious?

so we are at an impasse, on the science vs religion.
if you so believe in something, or 1 thing over another, what does that tell you?

are you an openly closed mind?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

From what I've seen here, Atheism is just as much a "zealot proclivity" as religion is. As you point out some Christians display defensive and hostile reactions, but it seems fairly prevalent on the other side of the argument as well. I would argue that

and your zealous need to prove it correct true and logical

applies equally well (perhaps more so) to the Atheist camp.

There are, at least, 2 kinds of atheists. The "New Atheist" are rather outspoken, even evangelical at times, despite the disapproval of the conservative "Atheists But" crowd. I think that the New Atheist phenomena is a push back to extreme religious judgementalism. You may enjoy this "gentleman's" debate between these two atheist.

Some people, I agree, take this "permission" to declare their lack of belief to a comparable zealotry as a fundamental Bible thumping preachers on a street corner. Then, their need to proselytize can become just as much of a "disorder" as their counterparts.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

tsingtao
i never said FEMA, did I? and now you are trolling, link to where it is religious

You said "re-education camp"...what do think a FEMA camp is?

if you so believe in something, or 1 thing over another, what does that tell you?

One of them is supported by facts...the other obviously isn't.
What else could it possibly tell you?

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Voices in the .? Like Ezekiel, Abraham, or Moses?

If you are costumed like a member of the clergy, you can stand on a pulpit, speak to a group of people, and tell them that you heard the voice of god. They nod and concur, even drop money in a basket.

Strip away the costume and envision the same man on trial, explaining why he shot random people.

The voice in the . is a sorry excuse for not taking responsibility for one's actions.

The bible is a wonderful guide for studying ancient mental illness.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join