It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Angelic Resurrection

beatbox
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Do you talk to Jesus? And does he talk back?

You betcha

How do you know it's not you talking to your self? How do you know it's not your inner self? I believe deep down inside you know what's right and what's wrong...why do you need somebody or something else to tell you that? Or to guide your daily life? Isn't that what your family and friends are for? To help you journey through this life?
edit on 15-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

beatbox
I just showed that the NWO is real and powerful men want it...but can you prove certain gods or demi gods of religions are real?

No you didn't. You just posted videos of powerful men talking about it. I can show you videos of those powerful men talking about religion but that would prove nothing... just like the ones you posted.

You did not show proof and I have no proof to show you. I have personal gnosis experiences which are what most people of various faiths have.

You and I both believe in unverifiable beliefs because they are not shared by 100% of the population. The reason we can believe some unverifiable beliefs is because it is shared by everyone. Like gravity.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

beatbox

Angelic Resurrection

beatbox
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Do you talk to Jesus? And does he talk back?

You betcha

How do you know it's not you talking to your self? How do you know it's not your inner self? I believe deep down inside you know what's right and what's wrong...why do you need somebody or something else to tell you that? Or to guide your daily life? Isn't that what your family and friends are for? To help you journey through this life?

Looks like you do not know anything about intimate relationship to Him.
Though this is available to you and all others.
For the Lord Said: Even those that call on My Name shall be Saved.
After you receive Him, you will not be asking any naïve ques as you have done here

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yes I believe Religion is a mental illness specifically designed by our overlords to keep us divided and stupid.A Religion is an information meme or contagion which is downloaded by the practicioner.You get the bible you study you are guided by your preacher you download the information which tunes your subconscious into the false archon reality created around the meme.Soon you are experiencing synchronicities and other events from this false reality which convince the ego it has found 'the truth'.Of course the more time effort an energy you put in the less likely you are to listen to any contrarian view or even eventually reason as this is an affront to the ego that has expended all this energy downloading the program.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

See here's the thing that I don't get...your post about the illuminati and NWO is a perfect example of what CNN claims is a sign of mental illness...

Not sure how CNN relates to this subject but if you are seriously looking for TRUTH, CNN is the very last place to look.

you have millions of ppl who believe or have faith in something that has never been proven to exist...

Therein lies the very heart of your confusion.

If CNN is telling you that proof does not exist, WHY do you believe them?

Proof exists, I KNOW because I have personally seen it.

Just because YOU have not seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You need to forget everything you've been taught if you ever want to find the truth.

You MUST realize that we have been lied to on a scale that is almost unbelievable.

Once you KNOW what is real and what isn't, this becomes VERY clear.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Murgatroid
reply to post by beatbox

See here's the thing that I don't get...your post about the illuminati and NWO is a perfect example of what CNN claims is a sign of mental illness...

Not sure how CNN relates to this subject but if you are seriously looking for TRUTH, CNN is the very last place to look.

you have millions of ppl who believe or have faith in something that has never been proven to exist...

Therein lies the very heart of your confusion.

If CNN is telling you that proof does not exist, WHY do you believe them?

Proof exists, I KNOW because I have personally seen it.

Just because YOU have not seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You need to forget everything you've been taught if you ever want to find the truth.

You MUST realize that we have been lied to on a scale that is almost unbelievable.

Once you KNOW what is real and what isn't, this becomes VERY clear.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

I don't star many of your posts but, on this particular subject, I'd back you 100%. Very well said.

Science is often distinguished by an observable and repeatable demonstration of a prediction (horribly paraphrased, I admit). What many don't realize is that science, in that regard, can be a personal science and is made no less valid by being isolated to specific people. I've never personally witnessed an atom being split at CERN but I don't use that as a reason to discount it out of hand.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

whyamIhere
Another passive-aggressive shot at Christians.

You fire off your insults....Then claim you just want answers.

You are off my list.

Santa

I don't recall him even saying the word Christian in his OP, so why do you automatically assume he is talking about them alone? The title is "Is religion a mental disorder?" not "Is Christianity a mental disorder?"

Always trying to play the victim. But since Christianity in particular was brought up:

James 1
27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Christianity this is not.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Murgatroid

beatbox
Is religion a mental disorder? I'm just looking for answers...because this whole thing confuses me.

That is exactly what lies were meant to do, CONFUSE...

Religion is being used as a major tool of the Illuminati agenda.

This is WHY Religion is one MASSIVE lie.

All religion does is drive people AWAY from God, this is Satan's real agenda.

Study the TRUE origins of false religions and learn who is actually behind the facade.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control." Link

The Vatican has infiltrated, or neutered and spayed, virtually every denomination and organization in Christendom. Various means have been used, but Opus Dei has played a major role in this. I am fully persuaded that Opus Dei and the Jesuits have already planted many of their agents in Baptist and Fundamental churches and schools.

OPUS DEI-- War on Protestantism

What if I were to tell you, that there is a vast Satanic conspiracy to deceive the masses of every society on earth? What if I were to tell you that the top leaders of the world’s religions were in league with the Devil? Would you think I’m crazy? I would! Yet, the truth is stranger than fiction! You have been lied to my friend. Few people in the world today are aware of just how much Satan has infiltrated and is behind ALL false religion.
Source

"Today the religions of the world remain a major tool of the Illuminati agenda." Link

"What if there were people within the various Churches of God who covertly were guiding the members to slowly accept new ideas which are alien to the true faith and who were dedicated to destroying that faith at all costs?"

JESUIT-JEDI MINDTRICKS

I really can't tell if you are making a joke, trolling, or being totally serious. He asks if religion is a mental illness and you go on a tangent about illuminati mind control.

Ironic.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Always trying to play the victim.

Nice try....

Your preconceived notions are not even close.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I'd say your post was entirely based on a preconceived notion itself. The OP didn't single out Christianity in any way, yet you for some reason assumed it did. Pot meet kettle.

What preconceived notion was I using exactly?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Is religion a mental disorder...yes.
All of mankind is born with it.Religion is at the core of mankind's nature.It is "a mans(or womans) "belief" system.It is not just a belief in deity.The main symptom of the disorder is denial.No one believes "they" have a disorder(I usually call it a disease however I'll go with your term)....The general consensus is..everyone else has "it" or certain people do or no one does.

It is impossible to diagnose a cure because it is impossible to "know" what you can't know.You can't get fixed what you don't know is broken.It's a dichotomy wrapped in a dilemma smothered in conundrum sauce.I know of none who is what is considered religious(believes and practices a religion-religion) that believes it is a disorder..they believe the opposite that it is in effect a "cure" for something(like sin nature)...which is ironically ...religion!!

The religion-religious are getting a straight strong dose of the cure without knowing it because they are the most ill.To them religion-religion is an inoculation being administered complete unawares.Some of them (i.e...most of them...unfortunately) have a bad reaction and some show huge signs of a mental -mental disorder.

All in all it is completely futile to try to do something about the mental disorder of religion.Everybody has it.Trying to convince someone out of their mental disorder via another strain of the same mental disorder is truly nuts.

However...Mankind is going to be okay.Its just a "stage" they are going though(embryoism).Once they are born into reality the mental disorder will begin to fade and they will wake up to a new reality.Religion will no longer rule and the NWO order bad dreams will be just bad dreams....sweet dreams all.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
As you probably know, I'm a believer in God, Christ, the whole business. But let me put that aside for a minute. Let's just try to be reasonable.

The argument for defining religion as a mental disorder seems to be as follows:

God is imaginary,
People who believe (or hear, or talk with) imaginary beings are "Nuts," (To use the correct clinical term.)
People who believe in God, therefore, are nuts.

If you are applying reason and common experience, you will see that both of the premises can be questioned, therefore the conclusion can be questioned.

The claim is made "God is imaginary." OK, prove it. Since you can't, it's a little questionable to use that as your major premise.

The minor premise is also shaky. Two days ago, I saw a creature that was kind of yellowish-beige, shaped a little like a barrel, walking on two legs, having four legs coming out of it's torso. I couldn't see it's head, but it was coming towards me about the same speed I can run. I will swear on anything holy that this is true. Does it matter that it occurred in a dream? I truly believed in that imaginary creature, and if you'll give me a minute, I'll find a copy of my sanity certificate.

So anyone who says Religion is a mental illness has shown themselves to be people who have trouble constructing a logical argument. Is that a mental illness?

Still acting as a neutral, what do we do about the Bible? Textual analysis, historical research and the majority of scholars say that what we have today is an unusually accurate text of what was written millennia ago. Over 90% of the scholars believe it has been definitely established that Jesus was a real person who was tortured and killed by the Romans.

The New Testament is a collection of writings by people who claim to have seen Jesus, or talked to people who did. As far as I know there have been no significant factual errors found in it, and if the Gospels were fiction, they were written in a fictional-realism style which the world had not seen and which was invented by Jewish common people. That is highly unlikely.

So, if the Bible recorded accurately, then Christian belief in God is the only reasonable attitude to take.

Note that I am not saying that it's proven, but at each step of the way, Christian belief is more likely than the alternative. You get better odds betting "Christian" than anything else. Proved to a scientific certainty? No. Substantial evidence and probably true? Yes.

It may be that Christians are the only ones who don'thave a mental illness.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

I'd say your post was entirely based on a preconceived notion itself. The OP didn't single out Christianity in any way, yet you for some reason assumed it did. Pot meet kettle.

What preconceived notion was I using exactly?

So Buddhist believe an imaginary guy (like Santa) is going to save them all.

Give me a break. Go pretend with somebody else.

I do not except your preconceived premise.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

The main symptom of the disorder is denial.No one believes "they" have a disorder

reply to post by charles1952

and if you'll give me a minute, I'll find a copy of my sanity certificate.

Sorry guys. I just couldn't resist! A little levity can't hurt.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I didn't realize Santa was part of the Christian religion when it comes to doctrine. Not only Christians celebrate Christmas and tell their kids Santa exists you know, even atheists do it.

It was not a jab at Christians in any way, you just choose to see it that way because you want to play the victim without addressing the points made in the OP. Santa doesn't exist, and I assume the OP was comparing God to an imaginary figure akin to Santa. You read too much into it I think.

Accept*
edit on 15-11-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Dear windword,

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I was going for. Someday I might tell you about the time, when I was in 6th Grade, when Harvard sent out a pair of researchers who stuck electrodes all over my head. Hmmmm, maybe that's when all the problems started. (When are they going to get some decent smileys?)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

No more a point of view mixed with an intergenerational believe system.

I might be wrong.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Religion is simply a point of view as stated by a poster above. Really, anything can be classified as a "mental disorder."

Perhaps the idea that you need currency to uphold the structure of your society is a mental illness.

Perhaps the idea that you must use said currency to purchase material "stuff" in order to satisfy a notion of the fulfillment of your being is a mental illness.

Perhaps the idea that you need governments to make decisions for you and keep you secure and comfortable is a mental illness.

Perhaps the idea that you find television, video games, sports, the internet, entertainment is a mental illness.

Perhaps the idea that you are seeking the truth is a mental illness.

Do you see what I am getting at? It is indeed all relative. You are simply choosing to place things in certain categories within a broader category of normalcy and therefore that which falls outside this normalcy must be abnormal, insane, mental illness.

This is not to say that I agree with many events that are currently taking place within the defined organizations of the religious structure.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by InfinitePerspective

I'm a little curious because I don't understand one of the phrases your using. You started with:

Religion is simply a point of view as stated by a poster above. Really, anything can be classified as a "mental disorder."

I agree that anything could be defined as a mental illness. After all, the definition is in the hands of a small group of people with nearly identical training. But what do you mean by "Point of View?" How does that differ from "Belief," or "accepted conclusion," or similar terms?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

If you are to zoom out and look at these terms within a broader spectrum, so to speak, they are really all different faces of the same idea. So, yes point of view could boil down to "belief" or "accepted conclusion" as you say, however they are still unique faces in their own right. It is simply a matter of how you choose to look at it.

The issue you speak of can be broken down into many complex and irrelevant details that could be explained in depth at great length, but it is not of significance, to this individual at least to dwell on it, as communication of these concepts through written and spoken language is inefficient and allows for error and misinterpretation.

In other words, I feel I might not be able to clearly explain it in this restricted format in order to get the point across that I intended to get across in the first place.

I hope that shed some light on you inquiry and I thank you for your reply.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join