It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Religion, originally, often was a rebellion against the established order. Anytime one goes against an established order the PTB of that order tends to label them mentally sick or some other form of demented psychology because the established order is fine and dandy and anyone going against it has to be out of whack.

Including the conspiracy theorists and NWO buffs since they are challenging the PTB order.

Once religion becomes established and earns its right to be amongst the PTB then your no longer nuts. Then what happens is that cults form at the behest of an ambitious individual who wants to be a part of the PTB and wants a slice of the pie.

If they aren’t successful they will be termed a cult or mentally ill.

They treated the Mormons as nuts until they became a part of the established order.

The point is: If your in, your in; if you out, your out until your in.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

SHgNaTrinityinme1333
reply to post by Eryiedes

Tell me again how ideology is poisonous to the human condition and how that's a medical fact. what? and how it effects the brain like a drug?

Most of this post was garbage so I'll skip to the meat & potatoes...

So, you didn't bother to look and to cover up your own ineptitude, you accuse me of lying? How predictable.
Got page seven Einstein and keep your false accusations to yourself.

(And if for some reason you deign to respond before two hours has elasped, I'll know you are lying!)

-Peace-
edit on 23-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Correction

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Those atheist megachurches are a joke and there's already a thread on that.
They're just a bunch of ex-religious people who were so badly abused by Christianity that the first thing they did after leaving it was make the exact same mistakes all over again because it's all they know.
I don't identify with those freaks anymore than I identify with you.
Nice try though.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Whether local or Vatican or Islam or Talmud or whatever religious text you cite the underlying mechanic is always trauma.

I suppose you could define trauma so widely that you could make your theory work. Heck, childbirth is traumatic. You can't even come into this world without trauma. So if you want, you can dig up trauma in anyone's past and try to link it to religion. But I think that's a pretty lame theory of religion.

Trauma isn't always a bad thing. I imagine it's rather traumatic for a moth to become a butterfly.

edit on 23-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

I'm sorry Blue but that's semantics...again.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Again what are you even talking about, I didn't accuse you of lien I just said that it isn't true well because .. it isn't? Typical ATSr dissect a small section of what a person has posted then comment on it ... You really do find it hard looking at the big picture at all different levels eh.

I'm also a man of science myself, I've always loved and had a passion for it, God and Science go together you need to relies that or you'll be left behind in old dis proven science which is not relevant anymore due to new discovers and facts.

Watch every part.

edit on 23-11-2013 by SHgNaTrinityinme1333 because: (no reason given)

link   

Eryiedes

I'm sorry Blue but that's semantics...again.

-Peace-

Well, you can't hoist a word like trauma up the flagpole and expect it to just work because you want it to. If you were a comparativist, you would know that religion is much too complex for that.

link   

there is more than a few faults with that video, which the presenters either do not recognize and are unaware of, or the misrepresentation is intentional.

first off about halfway thru they quote this guy and he says "if you're not religious you're not seen as patriotic"

well he doesn't even have a good perception about the country he is living in... and it is people like he who develop angst.

if you don't believe in God you're not patriotic" that's how the other 85% of American view our deviants...

so he is wrong... and he did not do a poll, and is actually infecting atheists with false information.

secondly is the part about them not getting together to jump on other religions...

I have nothing to say about that comment

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Watch the material I provided on page seven.
I'll be back later if you want to talk...it will clear up a lot of misconceptions.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

BINGO...you're full of it.
You watched ten minutes of a 2 hour presentation and now you want to discuss what you have learned?
You have established yourself as a troll and I am now done with you.

-Good Day-

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Eryiedes
Refute the medical and psychological facts presented.
If you can't, you must concede the arguement.

Back atchya. And your trolling insults aren't a 'refutation'. Therefore you concede ..

Eryiedes
We've seen denial.
We've seen emotional appeals.
We've seen personal attacks.
We've seen staggering ignorance of facts.
We've seen yelling.
We've seen foot stomping tantrums.

... all hypocritically posted by you.

Seriously dude ... people here are being polite and presenting information.
And all they get in return is denial of the information by you and a bunch
of name calling. You should be banned.

Provide facts showing that religion/spirituality is a 'disorder'. Otherwise, the facts that we have posted showing religion/spirituality is basic human evolutionary psychology, and has been for tens of thousands of years prior to organized religion, stand.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

When you confront a belief that someone "opposes", the amgydela of the human brain shuts down.
This process destroys higher reasoning by making them "fearful".
The reasoning centres of the human brain shut down and trigger the "fight or flight reflex".
They cease to act on reason and react instead on instinct...evasion, avoidance, disassociation, anger or contempt.
Sound familiar?

Yes, it's how a pseudo-skeptic acts when confronted with parapsychological evidence.

Do you believe in psi?

If not I could post a few hours worth of vids for you to watch.

Then I can connect the dots for you between the massive body of parapsychological evidence and mystical traditions throughout history the world over. Then I can connect the dots between mystical traditions and religion as you know it.

Would you enjoy that? Or would your amgydela shut down first..?

edit on 23-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think he made the decision he was right ages ago and there was no point trying to show him why hes wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Eryiedes

BINGO...you're full of it.
You watched ten minutes of a 2 hour presentation and now you want to discuss what you have learned?
You have established yourself as a troll and I am now done with you.

-Good Day-

Helen Keller much?

ok here's a treat...

good day

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The worst thing that happens in religious psychology is when the believer attaches their religion with some inner hereditary entity such as father, mother, family, tribe or race.
That’s a recipe for disaster and often leads to genocides where the “volk” religion displaces itself for one of these inner attachments. I would say Nazism is a prime example of this. KKK psychology also is a part of this
The “chosen people” of God syndrome is very dangerous. Or God loves my group above all!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Seriously dude ... people here are being polite and presenting information.
And all they get in return is denial of the information by you and a bunch
of name calling. You should be banned.

Said the Pot...

Provide facts showing that religion/spirituality is a 'disorder'.

I already did?
Page Seven?
You saw them in Wildtimes thread also...oh, that's right...you didn't watch them there either.

-Peace-
edit on 23-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 23-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Quote

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Willtell
The worst thing that happens in religious psychology is when the believer attaches their religion with some inner hereditary entity such as father, mother, family, tribe or race.
That’s a recipe for disaster and often leads to genocides where the “volk” religion displaces itself for one of these inner attachments. I would say Nazism is a prime example of this. KKK psychology also is a part of this
The “chosen people” of God syndrome is very dangerous. Or God loves my group above all!

God and religion are two separate things...

one doesn't have to practice religion to believe in their God...

but you make it seem that way in the ending to your philosophical outlook.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
What the DSM-5 says is a 'mental disorder' ....

"A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above. "

Like I said ... religion/spirituality is NOT a mental disorder unless it causes dysfunction in the behavior.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

BlueMule
Do you believe in psi?

I think 99% of it is hoax from what I've seen.

If not I could post a few hours worth of vids for you to watch.

I think that would be viewed as thread derailment if not specific to the refutation of the OP.

Then I can connect the dots for you between the massive body of parapsychological evidence and mystical traditions throughout history the world over. Then I can connect the dots between mystical traditions and religion as you know it.

Already know it...I used to be religious...but "mystical" isn't exactly the OP subject.
You should start a thread on it.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

DRM-5 also says if you think the government is lying, you need to be medicated...so what's your point?

-Peace-

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join