It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

EnemyOfTheSane
reply to post by undo

Your conscience is you , yourself .

The wording its-self makes you think ......... con .... science

Life is a circle , if you live in your mind .

i view that as an argument of semantics, which is fine, but not exclusive. have you ever pondered the buddhist samsara? i'm not buddhist , but i just want to stretch your intellectual boundaries a bit.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Again, I agree with you 100% but I kinda sense you're trying to give the politically correct answer...lol

If I claim that the voice in my head is from another source or from something other then me, (my inner voice)...wouldn't you consider that a type of mental illness?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Religion is a simple solution for people with complex problems. In Modern western churchian terms it says, "Just believe, be forgiven, and go on your way."

That way people can find the excuses to continue to be their screwed up selves.Theres no need for self examination or improvement. I'm not saying everyone is screwed up, but the screwed up ones are the ones making life miserable for everyone else. They start wars (or fight in them), they promote greed, enslave others, and struggle for control of everyone and everything by making rules that force us all to comply with their screwed up vision of right and wrong.

All in the name of their God.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

I find it likely that human consciousness is considered a mental disorder by advanced beings. We are rape pillage and destroy machines.

So plenty of room for "blame" to go around.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

true god , yada yada .

Dont you see this is why wars are fought globally ? ... the view you share with many others . That your god is true but other gods are a lie ........ they are all lies .... no god would witness this life of desperation, i am a man and i have more heart , more love , more passion than all of your gods put together , and so do you .

Religion is in the mind , it is a case of being told a story and spending the rest of your life worrying wether it is true or not .

If god , any so called god was real , then i seriously doubt we would be able to die at all since the existance of death alone would undo most of his/her/its so called "plans" .

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

See here's the thing that I don't get...your post about the illuminati and NWO is a perfect example of what CNN claims is a sign of mental illness,in the second vid. We all know the illuminati exists...but according to CNN you deserve treatment for talking about it. Now how does talking about something that clearly exists but when we talk about imaginary ppl...it's accepted? Do you see where I'm going with this??

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I bet you do , but i shall respectfully decline your "sort-of" request as i am not a forum monkey

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

beatbox
reply to post by undo

Again, I agree with you 100% but I kinda sense you're trying to give the politically correct answer...lol

If I claim that the voice in my head is from another source or from something other then me, (my inner voice)...wouldn't you consider that a type of mental illness?

technically, it could be. like if i say, god told me to steal all your worldly possessions and put it in my own coffers and he said to do this because i'm better than you, then yeah, i'd think that was a bit over the top and probably the result of your own greed or a perhaps a really nasty superiority complex. but if i say, god told me to quit eating candy bars, i'd have to weigh it by a whole different set of criteria. such as -- is there a reason god would say that, is it because my best friend said we should stop supporting the candy company or because it was determined that sugar in the candy was horribly bad for you, or because my inner self, has already walked this road and is warning me.

allow me to clarify. let's say that reality really is like the matrix, and everything you see is a sort of self-directed and continuously updated, holodeck (for lack of a better description). you, that is the inner you, is currently trapped in a mammal body, experiencing this physical dimension in its linear time scale. however, once free from the mammal container (which has several limitations), linear time is no longer a problem. so now it's you, that is the inner you, in an eternal plane, in which you can see both the past, present and future of your activity while in the linear time line. is that inner you a part of god ? or is that inner you, god? there's some argument over that. and discovering the answer to that, i think that would be the first step in solving these kinds of questions.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

beatbox
you have grown men and women waiting for an in visible person to come down from the sky and save them or you have some who say their god talks to them...so how is that not mental illness?

We believe in all sorts of phenomenon that have not been fully explained. Gravity is still up for debate yet everybody experiences. Religion/spirituality is the same. The only difference is that the experience is not universal. The fact that only a minority of people do not feel connected to something spiritual tells me that, instead of religion being an illness, it is really the lack of spirituality that is a mental and emotional handicap.

Obviously I don't really believe atheists suffer from mild retardation but it is no different than calling religious experiences "mental disorders".

beatbox
How does questioning the govt or talking about the NWO(which we all know exist or atleast been referenced by the pope and other world leaders on more then one occation) calls for mental health treatment but you have millions of ppl who believe or have faith in something that has never been proven to exist...it's almost like Santa clause for adults...

I don't believe in the "NWO" and I think most people who talk about it believe in something with no proof. I don't think all conspiracy theorists are nuts because I'm sure some of them have had personal experiences they can't prove to others yet they know happened.

I personally believe in divinity and have had personal experience with the other side (constantly) therefore I am basing my knowledge on more evidence and proof than most conspiracy theorists have.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Let me answer the OP, and this question simply with this:

When you are a child and believe in, and talk to invisible friends...it's cute, and funny.

When you are an adult and believe in, and talk to invisible friends...you are considered crazy, and might be locked up in a mental hospital for life.....

...BUT!!!!!!!!!!.....

If you are an adult and believe in, and talk to invisible friends, and call them "god" or "angels" or "Jesus"...then you are considered religious and are respected in the community.

Yep that sums it all up, so there you go, and no it makes no sense at all.

edit on 15-11-2013 by AutOmatIc because: Jesus

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

It was a response to somebody else i know and i`m sorry for butting in , but your level of intelligence is your boundry ...... man-made intelligence based on man-made so called facts counts for nothing when we`re dead . For starters , the brain will decay in a matter of days , so no brain = no imagination = no heaven or weird spacey plain ....... when we die we die .

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
We all adhere to customs and culture. Religion amounts to no more than custom and culture. Where the customs and cultures differ, so too do the religions.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Perception , that is the word which could have prevented your whole post .

It`s how the individual sees it ..... i`ve been there myself and will go there again as it is what humans do ... we find a basic level of understanding and stick with it untill we find something new which we see as a logical explaination . (which can only be seen as logical once you break down every single tiny detail )

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

EnemyOfTheSane
reply to post by undo

It was a response to somebody else i know and i`m sorry for butting in , but your level of intelligence is your boundry ...... man-made intelligence based on man-made so called facts counts for nothing when we`re dead . For starters , the brain will decay in a matter of days , so no brain = no imagination = no heaven or weird spacey plain ....... when we die we die .

perhaps, perhaps not. for example, it's just as likely that "when we die, we die" is another example of man made facts as it is to say "believe in god"

my argument against atheism is the conservation of energy , which i have updated to include the conservation of awesome. like awesome people. the universe would be wasting too much awesome to suggest it just rots and that's it.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Cuervo

I don't believe in the "NWO" and I think most people who talk about it believe in something with no proof. I don't think all conspiracy theorists are nuts because I'm sure some of them have had personal experiences they can't prove to others yet they know happened.

I personally believe in divinity and have had personal experience with the other side (constantly) therefore I am basing my knowledge on more evidence and proof than most conspiracy theorists have.

If you don't believe in the NWO, then what do you think about these men of power calling for it?

edit on 15-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

beatbox

Cuervo

If you don't believe in the NWO, then what do you think about these men of power calling for it?

They are "calling for it" because "it" is a common phrase. I'm also calling for a "new world order" as is most of the people I know. If there is an organization like the one you are thinking of, it's actually an old world order. You and I are the new world order.

If they called for action by saying "just do it", would that mean they are working for Nike?

Besides, all you did is prove my point. You first said that believing in the NWO is not crazy because it is "real" and religion is crazy because you can't prove it. I said that you can't prove NWO. In response, you posted videos of people talking about it. I can post videos of those same people talking about religion and "god"... does that prove it's real?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Dunno about religion,
But having a Personal relationship with Jesus, is not a mental disorder.
Never has been and never will be.
Praise the Lord

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Cuervo

beatbox

Cuervo

They are "calling for it" because "it" is a common phrase. I'm also calling for a "new world order" as is most of the people I know. If there is an organization like the one you are thinking of, it's actually an old world order. You and I are the new world order.

If they called for action by saying "just do it", would that mean they are working for Nike?

Besides, all you did is prove my point. You first said that believing in the NWO is not crazy because it is "real" and religion is crazy because you can't prove it. I said that you can't prove NWO. In response, you posted videos of people talking about it. I can post videos of those same people talking about religion and "god"... does that prove it's real?

I didn't post the vids to try to prove you wrong or anything. You say you don't believe in the NWO and its not real...but how can you say that when you clearly see these men in power "talking" about it, or pushing for it. I posted vids of it coming straight from the horses mouth...it doesn't matter if it just a common phrase or the real thing...these men want it. Again it brings me to ask why is it ok for these men in power to speak about it but when the average person brings it up..it's a mental illness. I just showed that the NWO is real and powerful men want it...but can you prove certain gods or demi gods of religions are real?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Do you talk to Jesus? And does he talk back?

Again, I just want to be clear..I'm not trying to attack you...I'm just trying to understand.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

beatbox
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Do you talk to Jesus? And does he talk back?

You betcha

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join