It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Aphorism
Blaming non-physical entities for the world's woes...

It's a far sight better than claiming non-physical unprovable entities created everything.
As for atheism being a religion?
I can say stuff like that too.

"Water isn't wet"

"Gravity is a lie"

"Obama has never lied"

Seems like a fun game to play but I think I'll stay with the facts just the same.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

charles1952
Come on, present your proof that a quarter of Christians believe that they can not commit murder

I intend to sir.

-Peace-

(Update: I am enlisting the help of a friend who owns copies of the both old and new testaments to find the passage you desire (since I burned mine long ago on a camping trip for kindling) but he informs me the specific passage I am thinking about is in the old testament. I will be sure to post it for you once he locates it for me.)
edit on 20-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Update

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

You are incorrect. But if you understood faith, you'd know that.

Now, lets talk a little bit about generalization. You have no idea what my bringing up was like. I was not "forced" in to going to church nor was i punished for not going.

I went to church as a small child, and went to a Catholic first school. I stopped going to church on a weekly basis in my mid-teens. Did my mother care? - Yeah, she'd prefer i go. Did she get angry? No... she actually laughed it off. It's no biggie. I also went to a non-religious secondary school. FULL of all types of people. My faith was never forced up on me in the way you describe. You make it sound like a bible was thrown at me and i was told to follow.

Sooooo wrong! My belief is nothing like it used to be when i was a little child. My faith is so much more than just God, Devil, Heaven, Hell. It's faith in something after this life. What it is, i don't know. But, to put it bluntly, my mother and i actually have some differing views on what happens when we die.

WE both believe in something, and you can call that a mental illness if that's what you choose to. But i call it logic. To me... that's all it is. I'm not everyone though and i don't represent the entire world with my views. But my views come from ME.... not my up bringing.

The argument of indoctrination is pretty weak. I've known a fair few people, and know OF a lot more who have been brought up on religion and gone another way.. Why do you forget those? Are they the ones that escaped? Do their beliefs count because they don't believe in an afterlife? - In many cases, their parents did... They had a choice to move away and i had a choice to hover around (
) - I was never forced to.

My faith is real and my faith is mine. The only things i cherish from my upbringing are a loving family, loving friends and morals NOT a forced belief system - If you call that a mental illness i worry for you. And everyone else who chooses to believe so.
edit on 20-11-2013 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

I was wondering what your problem with Freedomain Radio/Stefan Molyneux is

Is it because of videos like this?

warning strong language

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Your "update" is not very promising. You're trying to find a passage which may have an interpretation which deals with this question? And you're looking to a book which dealt largely with the Jewish people before Christ was born, to defend the proposition that the current beliefs of Christians are such and such?

There's no relationship between the two. If the Old Testament has a verse which says "Every Israelite should (or may) kill people because that is setting their souls free," That would have no relationship to current Christian thought.

You might as well say "African Kings bought and sold slaves, so the current thinking of Blacks is that slavery is OK."

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It's a far sight better than claiming non-physical unprovable entities created everything.
As for atheism being a religion?
I can say stuff like that too.

"Water isn't wet"

"Gravity is a lie"

"Obama has never lied"

Seems like a fun game to play but I think I'll stay with the facts just the same.

...And anarchism isn't a political ideology because it doesn't believe in the state.

Try speaking about atheism from outside the context of religion. It cannot be done. Truth is, atheism is a religious word, a religious concept, a slur invented by religious people, and is an opinion concerned only with Gods and deities.

There are only religious implications behind choosing the atheist label. There are only religious implications in debating religion. There are only religious implications in discussing Gods, the bible and scripture. There are only religious implications in spending one's time in forums concerned only with religion.

If atheism wasn't a religion, atheists wouldn't spend their dealing strictly in religion.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Aphorism
Try speaking about atheism from outside the context of religion. It cannot be done.

Your arguement is flawed...emotional but flawed.
For something to be a religion is must have a dogma.
Atheism has no dogma.
Therefore...it's not a religion.
Say it as many times as you wish it still won't change the facts.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Christianity resolves the religious question of God by saying He exists, even without scientific proof, but based on faith.
Atheism resolves the religious question of God by saying He doesn't exist, even without scientific proof, but based on faith.

Yet, only one is a religion?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

No offence but if what you said were true then it would be defined in a dictionary as a religion then wouldn't it? Oh, that's right...it's not.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

God is not a matter of faith, but a reality.

The discussion is unfortunately limited to Christianity. The posters do not have knowledge of other religions, so it is assumed that all religions are same.

The Veda answers all the questions that humanity needs. I advise any generic discussion to include experts from other religions as well.

The Atheist argument is flawed. Humans live in a world where human senses are surrounded by events which cannot be explained by properties of mechanical forces. There are phenomenon beyond human senses (soul and God) that are explained only by religion (through evolved humans).

I said earlier that humans are different from animals and this must be recognized. If humans are different, it is due to a special purpose assigned to humans.

It is very difficult to write a very big post, but I can point people to reading material which can give appropriate answers.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

GargIndia
The Atheist argument is flawed. Humans live in a world where human senses are surrounded by events which cannot be explained by properties of mechanical forces.

Translation: "Give up...god is the only way...you'll only know damnation and suffering otherwise...it's not mans place to question god."

Poppycock.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Dear GargIndia,

You are absolutely right, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't see it before. The debate isn't between Atheism and Christianity, but between Atheism and believers in God. While Christians make up a goodly number of those believers, they are not the only ones. Thank you for the correction.

The Veda answers all the questions that humanity needs. I advise any generic discussion to include experts from other religions as well.
How do we find those experts? Should we have an Atheist start a thread, then have various believers come to offer critiques?

God is not a matter of faith, but a reality. . . .

The Atheist argument is flawed. Humans live in a world where human senses are surrounded by events which cannot be explained by properties of mechanical forces. There are phenomenon beyond human senses (soul and God) that are explained only by religion (through evolved humans).
One of the saddest thoughts I've had is that perhaps Atheists don't see the "above natural" that's around them. What a dreary, hopeless existence.

I said earlier that humans are different from animals and this must be recognized. If humans are different, it is due to a special purpose assigned to humans.
You're correct. I don't know of any Atheist who will deny that only man has the capacity for good and evil, a moral sense. I feel the same about a desire to make beauty, and reject the ugly.

It is very difficult to write a very big post, but I can point people to reading material which can give appropriate answers.
I think I'll try a web search for "Veda," and look for an introductory text.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

GargIndia
The Atheist argument is flawed. Humans live in a world where human senses are surrounded by events which cannot be explained by properties of mechanical forces.

Translation: "Give up...god is the only way...you'll only know damnation and suffering otherwise...it's not mans place to question god."

Poppycock.
Riddle me this Batman.
If religion is based on reality, as you claim...then why is religion defined as "faith-based"?
Are the people at Webster's just messing around with your head?
Just a practical joke on the atheists right?

-Peace-
edit on 20-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

edit on 20-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Sarcasm

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I really wasn't asking the editors of the dictionary why they chose to define things the way they do, I was asking you, or anyone else, to point out the difference based on the two positions I provided. Or, at least, show that those positions are not accurate.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

charles1952

I really wasn't asking the editors of the dictionary why they chose to define things the way they do

Yeah...those pesky facts can be a real bugger when it comes to a real religious utopia.
I for one are glad people like you don't get to cherry pick reality for everyone else, let alone choose the nature of their language they use for them.
So what I am hearing from you all is:

If you could choose to redefine words as you wish and ignore their real meanings.
If you could ignore reality and facts.
THEN you could prove god's existance?

Well, I'll be...for once we agree.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I think you've misunderstood me. If I recall, you brought up the subject of dictionary definitions as proof that atheism is not a religion. I will agree (without looking up various dictionaries on my own) that your dictionary says Atheism is not a religion.

OK, with that out of the way, please consider answering my question on the difference between the two statements I made a little earlier.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

charles1952

Christianity resolves the religious question of God by saying He exists, even without scientific proof, but based on faith.
Atheism resolves the religious question of God by saying He doesn't exist, even without scientific proof, but based on faith.

You mean these two?
You want me to tell you how those two circumstances you specifically worded to maked sound similar, despite their actual definitions, are different?
Seriously?
Tell ya what...I'll answer that question if you can successfully define atheism for the problem you propose instead of using your "pink & fuzzy religion friendly" version. Deal?
Plus there are numerous minor philosophical proofs against god which hold scientific merit that can be named.

That was just one of them.
I know of at least five others although some claim there to be nine more.
Next you'll say mathematics is "Lucifer's Playground".

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

What's wrong with that? Don't Atheists say that God doesn't exist? Atheists have no absolute scientific proof that He doesn't exist, do they? If there isn't scientific proof, then they're accepting it on faith, aren't they?

The wording of the two statements is similar, but that's not because I had to play with words. The two groups are coming up with different answers, but neither has scientific proof of their position so there must be an element of faith for both groups. What do you object to, specifically?

I will look at your "proofs," and if they are valid, renounce Theism. But let's not get distracted. We've already got two balls in the air, this one, and the claim that it's common among Christians to feel that it is impossible to murder, even if they kill, because they are just releasing the soul.

Let's worry about the video later.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Eryiedes

GargIndia

Poppycock.
Riddle me this Batman.
If religion is based on reality, as you claim...then why is religion defined as "faith-based"?
Are the people at Webster's just messing around with your head?
Just a practical joke on the atheists right?

-Peace-
edit on 20-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

edit on 20-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Sarcasm

Why are you so keen to bring up dictionary meaning of something?

I take it that your arguments are non-serious and biased. You have not studied religions beyond 'Catholic Christianity' and you have not practiced any religion.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

God is proven everyday. God is seen everyday.

Just look around you. If you choose to ignore God, it is your fault.

God is seen in the powers that make the world tick. Humans are but a speck in millions of species that live and sustain in the planet created and regulated by awesome powers which humans cannot explain.

Gravity and electricity exist and make the material into shapes and forms that we see. But why gravity and electricity exist at all. These are God's powers.

Humans are born and then die (have limited lifespan) due to God's powers. All species have limited lifespan as soul experiences results of previous 'karmas' in that species.

I can go on but to make matters short, the religion tells humans how to live, what is good and bad etc. Religion is necessary to human existence.

edit on 20-11-2013 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join