It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

This is not an attack on religious people. It's a very valid question that I've been asking myself for some time.

Now it brings me to this:

Start @7:30

in this piece Cnn tries to connect "conspiracy theories" to mental health. If you question the govt you're a threat and need mental health treatment before you shoot up a school or mall but if you actually think about it..you have grown men and women waiting for an in visible person to come down from the sky and save them or you have some who say their god talks to them...so how is that not mental illness?

The point I'm trying to ask is this:

How does questioning the govt or talking about the NWO(which we all know exist or atleast been referenced by the pope and other world leaders on more then one occation) calls for mental health treatment but you have millions of ppl who believe or have faith in something that has never been proven to exist...it's almost like Santa clause for adults...

Again I'm nt trying to attack anyone. I'm just looking for answers...because this whole thing confuses me.
edit on 15-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

I saw many non-religious who are literally insane... One example: Mao Zedong....

whose rule is estimated to have caused the deaths of 40–70 million people through starvation, forced labor and executions, ranking his tenure as the top incidence of democide in human history.[2][3][4] China's population almost doubled during the period of Mao's leadership,[5] from around 550 to over 900 million.[6] A cult of personality was cultivated around Mao in office.

source: en.wikipedia.org...

It's not about religion, it's about the people who invent things to justify their actions.

edit on 15-11-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Everything is a mental disorder.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
No dis to any of you but please watch the videos then voice your opinion or try to answer the question...I don't want to turn this into a "whose wittier then who" or "pissing contest for stars" utype of thread...
edit on 15-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
O.k. I guess the simple answer to the question is sometimes. Like everything there are times when it is an excellent thing and times when it's the worst thing.

Everything in moderation......Everything.

Taken to extremes and out of balance everything may become a mental illness, and at the same time in moderation used in moderation everything can be of benefit.

It seems that there is nothing new under the sun, and nothing that does not have its equal opposite....as above so below I think most will find.

It seems that almost everything depends on each individuals internal micro/ macro scopes clarity and function.

So yes religion is insanity, and life without is also insanity...the paradox exists so you may check the equation. Lol.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Are atheists mentally ill?

blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

the evidence today implies that atheism is a form of mental illness. And this is because science is showing that the human mind is hard-wired for faith: we have, as a species, evolved to believe, which is one crucial reason why believers are happier – religious people have all their faculties intact, they are fully functioning humans.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Oh goodness. This topic has already been posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it REALLY worth an entirely new thread? Or an even better question: does anyone here REALLY not know how this is going to end? It's a flamewar waiting to happen.

My objection here is based solely in the conviction and full awareness that regardless of the intentions in posting this thread, it will be neither productive nor helpful. I'm calling it now in case anyone wants to concede the point and quietly withdraw. We all know how it's going down. No need to rehash the rehash of a rehash. Nothing to be said that hasn't already been said.

And with that said, I'm out.
edit on 15-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
"They" will classify any ideology/philosophy that does not conform to and reinforce their worldview as "insane". They will (and have) accomplish this through socially ubiquitous propaganda followed up with overt state policy.

But who knows. If the One World Religion theorists are correct, they'll come after the Atheists once they've eradicated the Christians, Buddhists, etc. After all, people who don't believe in a god (or "unifying reality"--whatever watered down word game you want to play) certainly wouldn't embrace a theocratic dictator...

...or would they?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Another passive-aggressive shot at Christians.

You fire off your insults....Then claim you just want answers.

You are off my list.

Santa

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
actually with atheism having Mega Churches now, on top of it being a bonafide recognized religion by my government (United States of America)

atheism is a religion which can be classified by a minority of individuals with an antisocial disease, so yes this is a religion effected by a mental disorder.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Where in my post did I single out Christians? This goes for all religions.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Thank you, I didn't see those threads before. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one asking this question....

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
well the first video is wrong on several counts.
for example, no one can prove or disprove that a person having a conversation with themselvs, is not doing just that. don't think your own inner voice is a cause for concern. haven't you ever asked a question, pondering the possible answer or simply wished for something to happen or not happen? you wouldn't be able to form sentences or ponder the meaning of life, if you didn't have an inner voice as part of your learning process

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

undo
well the first video is wrong on several counts.
for example, no one can prove or disprove that a person having a conversation with themselvs, is not doing just that. don't think your own inner voice is a cause for concern. haven't you ever asked a question, pondering the possible answer or simply wished for something to happen or not happen? you wouldn't be able to form sentences or ponder the meaning of life, if you didn't have an inner voice as part of your learning process

I totally agree, but what does that say about that person who talks to themselves(we all do) but claims its god?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
most religions on the other hand are theistic in nature... it is an evolution of thought processes by a majority of humans on the planet.

we are born without knowledge or contemplating these theories but as we age and mature it is universally recognized as the natural evolution of thought processes for humans or animals, which are able to contemplate their own existence.

this religious reality and the bonding together to form a group who all agree on a certain philosophy is universal globally, across cultures and language barriers.

what is left is democracy... of Majorities and Minorities

when a majority of individuals agree upon something this is what forms the basis of "fact" from observation and the scientific method.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

well the obvious implication is that your inner voice, is smarter than you are, that's why you ask it questions that you can't otherwise wrangle out consciously or in the normal methods.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

This planet in large part operates upon a mental disorder based upon spiritual disorder.

It appears everything is backward on this planet, wherein the most dangerous of inmates have taken greater control over an asylum of manipulated chaos.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
..... *sigh*

Yes .

Rather bold but true .

We treat people when they "see things" or hear voices in there head , so i honestly think that religious people need to be given medication and brought back into society step-by-step like somebody who has had a traumatic experience .

If i was claiming to have an imaginary friend who lives in the sky and watches every single person alive , every second of the day , and when they die chooses to either reward or punish them based on the things they said and done in their life ....... you`d want me sectioned immediatley .... what is different here ?

It will come about soon enough .... i honestly see religious folk as a cancer on makind - not to be killed - but atleast helped ..... those you can`t help - let them live out their life - they aren`t hurting anyone ...... unless they`re *cough* men of "the cloth"

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Your conscience is you , yourself .

The wording its-self makes you think ......... con .... science

Life is a circle , if you live in your mind .

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

beatbox
Is religion a mental disorder? I'm just looking for answers...because this whole thing confuses me.

That is exactly what lies were meant to do, CONFUSE...

Religion is being used as a major tool of the Illuminati agenda.

This is WHY Religion is one MASSIVE lie.

All religion does is drive people AWAY from God, this is Satan's real agenda.

Study the TRUE origins of false religions and learn who is actually behind the facade.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control." Link

The Vatican has infiltrated, or neutered and spayed, virtually every denomination and organization in Christendom. Various means have been used, but Opus Dei has played a major role in this. I am fully persuaded that Opus Dei and the Jesuits have already planted many of their agents in Baptist and Fundamental churches and schools.

OPUS DEI-- War on Protestantism

What if I were to tell you, that there is a vast Satanic conspiracy to deceive the masses of every society on earth? What if I were to tell you that the top leaders of the world’s religions were in league with the Devil? Would you think I’m crazy? I would! Yet, the truth is stranger than fiction! You have been lied to my friend. Few people in the world today are aware of just how much Satan has infiltrated and is behind ALL false religion.
Source

"Today the religions of the world remain a major tool of the Illuminati agenda." Link

"What if there were people within the various Churches of God who covertly were guiding the members to slowly accept new ideas which are alien to the true faith and who were dedicated to destroying that faith at all costs?"

JESUIT-JEDI MINDTRICKS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join