It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape: "Ladies, it's your fault."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Eidolon23

Vaginas aren't a resource

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but are you saying women don't have a right to prostitution if the law allows it in their area?

Because essentially it would be their right in the area where it is legal to conduct such a "resource sale".

What you actually mean is more like "Women's resources are Theirs to deal out as they choose, and stealing it is a major felony!", I would hope.

Anyways, carry on.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

gladtobehere
reply to post by Eidolon23

She sounds like she has an Indian accent?

If this video is geared at changing the minds of those living in 3rd world countries like India, I dont think its going to be very effective.

This video is targeted at educated Liberal types who find the sarcasm funny and cute.

gladtobehere, I hate to demur, but there is a huge percentage (thanks to colonialism) of the population fluent in English.

And the only way to reach them might be through humor. You're squirmy, or you're laughing, but either way you're engaged in a way that corporal punishment has never been able to achieve.

And! You're championing the protectionist stance. Protect the precious and rare vaginas with gunz!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

That was back in the 70's and kids were wilder then.
98% of the kids in school drank and smoked.
Probably half were regularly trying much harder chemicals.
Girls included.
Some of the younger folks here wouldn't believe how wild their parents were.
At any rate substance abuse was epidemic.
I've lost countless friends to that very thing.

On a good note the girls who knew me from back then all respect me now.

(or at least they seem to)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

muzzleflash

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but are you saying women don't have a right to prostitution if the law allows it in their area?

Well, muzzleflash, why don't we see an equal percentage of guys slinging dong to the ladies?

Yeah.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Eidolon23
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

I think that's a function of how women view themselves.

We get into a very blurry region in the West when it comes to intoxication and consent, and that's where the conversation gets redirected, despite the fact that there's plenty of cases of non-consensual intercourse to focus on.

When you live in India, and you are subject to all kinds of out and out RAPE, things are a more black and white.

I agree, and if this sticks to the sort of culture that treats women this way in general then I am fine, but some have posted on here about an attitude they see as prevalent on this site blaming the victims, and the fact is in those discussions it comes down to the blurry area you mentioned.

I agree that this video will have zero effect in those countries, and the only real way to change it is to change the attitude about women,and since men run the show and approve of this attitude it's not going to change, and thus if I lived there I would be very reluctant to go out alone without suitable protection be it male family, but then again they rape them too. The women there are basically screwed and not even thanked.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

The key here is to get men who have been conditioned not to recognize women as human beings to realize, through layers of guilt, denial and frustration, that women are human beings. Capable of arousal, fulfillment, and connection.

Invoking guilt isn't going to do it. Just pointing out that we're the same species isn't going to do it.

You have to go to the borderland between humor and discomfort.

That's why the Daily Show, the Colbert Report and their Mid East equivalent have the reach they evidently exert.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

When we go to cure "rape culture", we have to address the legal system, its biases, and Mad Ave.

there is no cure for rape or "rape culture" it is one of those things that have always been and always will be. Sad but true.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
As far as carrying (and using) a gun to "protect the precious and rare vaginas", it's not even about that. Protecting YOURSELF from violence and unwanted degrading physical assault is the point of being armed. I'm much in favor.

I raised 3 daughters and I told each of them that if you put out an advertisement, someone IS going to answer it and you may not like how they do it so be modest in your dress. Yes, even women wearing burkhas can be raped (and are) but part of not being a victim of any crime is not looking the part of a victim. Call me old fashioned but I think your jean shorts should be longer than your vagina. It's not fair that bulls charge when they see red but it's totally stupid to know that fact and still wear red around bulls.

As far as women crying "rape" when it clearly is no such thing...those women should receive the same punishment that would have been given to the man had he been convicted. You want equality ladies? There ya go.

As for protection... Rape-X condoms

I had mixed feelings about the video. I totally got the point the ladies were making but I couldn't help thinking that their target audience might not.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

And those shows are seen by those in the Middle east all the time?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
of course it's not the woman's fault. using the word "fault" in those situations, is misleading. it should rather be stated that, if you don't want some unstable individual to steal your personal possessions, the first step would be not letting them know you have them. however, since this is impossible when it comes to gender, the next step would be to make sure they know you don't want them stealing from you. one way this is achieved is by behavior. the next is by presentation and finally, as a last resort, self defense. i lock my door so unstable people who think my stuff is theirs to take as they please, will have a harder time doing so. that's just a bucket load of common sense.

it's a cultural thing but, it's also a fact of nature, even in cultures where women are freer to express themselves. i have often wondered what the rape statistics were in ancient egypt since the women were often barely dressed. or if the preponderance of lack of clothing was so common place, that it didn't have sexual connotations.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I'm in agreement about a lot of what you said. Unfortunately, half of rape is not done with the male organ, but bottles, sticks, knives etc. and if a woman wants to make sure she dies, let her get caught with one of those. I am a big believer in guns, and have trained my children in their proper use when age appropriate. My father was a sniper in the navy back in Vietnam, and he trained my sister and me how to shoot very accurately when we were less than 8.

Carrying a weapon is a very big decision and one should never do so if they are not willing to use it. Sadly, the women in the Middle East are not going to have that option.

Oh, and I wore traditional clothes when I lived in Saudi Arabia which garnered much respect.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

I agree that this video will have zero effect in those countries, and the only real way to change it is to change the attitude about women,and since men run the show and approve of this attitude it's not going to change,

Another poster pointed out that this video was produced by "privileged" women, but do you picture those who have no access (i.e. the majority) throwing any light on the issue?

The women there are basically screwed and not even thanked.

"THANKED?"

Wut?

Like they're giving something by having sex that they gain nothing from?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

DocHolidaze

When we go to cure "rape culture", we have to address the legal system, its biases, and Mad Ave.

there is no cure for rape or "rape culture" it is one of those things that have always been and always will be. Sad but true.

You mean, like slavery?

Or absence of mass-communication?

Or lack of electricity?

Ninja, please.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

whitewave
As far as carrying (and using) a gun to "protect the precious and rare vaginas", it's not even about that. Protecting YOURSELF from violence and unwanted degrading physical assault is the point of being armed. I'm much in favor.

Okay, so I've been raped, and I've fended off rape by way off my self-defense skillz.

It wouldn't hurt to give girls the option of self-defense courses, but there's always going to be a size differential.

And besides. If this can be addressed on the perp end, why put the burden on the victim?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

Welcome to the Internet.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

undo
of course it's not the woman's fault. using the word "fault" in those situations, is misleading. it should rather be stated that, if you don't want some unstable individual to steal your personal possessions, the first step would be not letting them know you have them. however, since this is impossible when it comes to gender, the next step would be to make sure they know you don't want them stealing from you. one way this is achieved is by behavior.

So, the vagina is something like a purse that can be snatched rather than an attribute of the person it's a part of?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Eidolon23

UnifiedSerenity

Welcome to the Internet.

so, you honestly think they are watching bill maher and this commercial in India and Saudi Arabia? I'd love some evidence of that. If anything, they will see it as a smart woman and look to take out their anger on these uppity b*tches who obviously don't understand it's their fault.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Eidolon23

whitewave

Okay, so I've been raped, and I've fended off rape by way off my self-defense skillz.

It wouldn't hurt to give girls the option of self-defense courses, but there's always going to be a size differential.

And besides. If this can be addressed on the perp end, why put the burden on the victim?

The burden is already on the victim, hence the need to even the odds. The issue of rape definitely needs to be addressed on the perp end but since the victim is the one getting victimized, I'm all in favor of such having all the protection they need/want. Because there's a size difference a girl needs all the help she can get.

I'd like to see them do a video in which they emphasize that men with manly virtues are desirable and rapist pigs have no value to women. I think that would make more of an impact than offensive humor. Men don't really "get" subtleties or hints.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Thank you. I almost never watch vids - but I watched this one.

S&F& : up :

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think rape is a carry over ideology of the crusades of old, invade, plunder pillage, rape. Its one of the roots of the humans race (pardon the pun)

edit on 15-11-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join