It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape: "Ladies, it's your fault."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There's been a high profile push online to expose "rape culture" lately. Most of the efforts to bring awareness to the issue are initiated by Western women who've never experienced the full ramifications of the term. Two Indian women walk a very fine line between discomfort and humor, and it brings the message home like nothing I've ever seen.

The only way to counter systemic absurdity is with the absurd. You might be offended, you might laugh. Both reactions are constructive.

Another gender flip: women have always been the straight man (hur). No longer.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Eidolon23 because: hur.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, this is a parody and misleading.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

Why is it misleading?

I think it's right on beam.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sadly I have even seen that attitude here on ATS. I have defiantly seen it by the police, when I called 911 when my neighbor was being raped. It was her fault for leaving the door unlocked while waiting for her kids to come home from school.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Ugh.

Here's the thing with the "protectionist" approach to prevention.

1) Most rapists are serial rapists. One dude (or, as a statistical rarity, lady) can chalk up dozens of victims. What this looks like, without broad analysis, is a whole bunch of rapists in the general population.

2) The more a woman's generative organs are billed as a scarce commodity, something to be hoarded and concealed, the more likely they are to be viewed as something to be accumulated by force.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

yup it all makes sense now...

definitely your fault ladies LMAO!!

Geez... makes me feel like the people of my gender are all idiots

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Fortunately we've made some ground on the issue in the states. Change always and only comes by education. I personally think it's a great way to get a message across. I was disturbed when the one girl was grabbed though, that was especially intense for me for some reason. I guess that's a good thing too.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Geez... makes me feel like the people of my gender are all idiots.

Not at all.

The friend who sent me this is a man. A guy who likes beer, sports, and judo.

His point was:

"When you hear about rape culture here in the West, it's usually from well-educated, monied women. They take the approach of shaming and denigration, and they make no impact. Humor gets through. Especially coming from women who have super high rape stats."

He made some additional points about how below a certain income bracket, ("and I'm in the camp that aside from child-birth and nursing men and women are totally equal") men get all the terrible jobs (waste management, road building, etc.), and women get taken care of-- an extension of the way we're treated differently from infancy.

If men were allowed to express emotions other than anger, and to enjoy platonic physical affection the way women do, we'd have an instant reduction in rape.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Eidolon23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

great post! as a male, i really wonder about the members of my gender at times. "gee, door left open/unlocked. she was asking for it." makes me sick. no one has the right to do something to another with out their permission.

and what is up with judges lately? here is another rapist, convicted by a jury of first and second degree rape receiving a slap on the wrist!
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I thought it was a wonderful video. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

I think it's how we view sexual trauma as opposed to property crimes. If you look at the psych and neuroscience research, it effs a person up more than theft or even death of a loved one. But it's still "valued" as less harmful.

Probably because it carries less of a price tag, collateral damage wise.

As long as vaginas are considered a natural resource rather than part of a person, we're going to see that reflected in the legal code.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Thanks to this video, rape makes sense now haha

Amazing!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The GUT
Fortunately we've made some ground on the issue in the states. Change always and only comes by education. I personally think it's a great way to get a message across. I was disturbed when the one girl was grabbed though, that was especially intense for me for some reason. I guess that's a good thing too.

We like to think that it has improved but believe it or not, some of these attitudes still do exist within the US today. In fact, I personally know an American born and bred man who spent years telling me that, by wearing a skirt, i was opening myself up to either what he called "mental rape" or actually risking being raped. Another case in point, at least from my perspective, would have been the teenaged girl who not too long ago was abducted. I had people I know actually accuse the girl of somehow bringing it upon herself in one way or another to actually being guilty of a crime. When I stated that she was clearly the victim as the police had not filed charges on her, they just said that the police didn't know what they were doing and were wrong.

We are not better. We supposedly know better but when it comes right down to it, attitudes like these are still alive and well in the US.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

blackthorne

and what is up with judges lately? here is another rapist, convicted by a jury of first and second degree rape receiving a slap on the wrist!

It's partially a legacy issue, and partially illegality defined as infringement on profit. And mostly the fact that we're too busy sinking our funds into housing drug offenders to worry about rapists. There's a dearth of women setting legislation, so WTF cares about rape victims.

It's not as big a deal as someone sucking down a joint, right?

edit on 15-11-2013 by Eidolon23 because: Right?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
For the record.

Most men (at least in the West) want a willing, engaged partner.

That's because for most men, sex is about connection. Just as it is for women.

Are they vulnerable to the marketing that presents (hur) women as a prize for being a good drone? Sure.

Are they going to be able to perform with an unwilling, dry partner?

Absolutely not.

When we go to cure "rape culture", we have to address the legal system, its biases, and Mad Ave.

Vaginas aren't a resource, and rape isn't comparable to holding an pound of ****.

And hold your boy babies.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
You know this is a good parody, the title is inflammatory and meant to get people to get into this debate again for the billionth time. I think there is a difference in cultures on display here. When I lived in the middle east the only women I saw who dressed provocatively for that culture were the French women working in kingdom.

I don't think it's ever the victim's fault, but then I also have to question some who claim to be a victim. There are many cases of women in America who engage in sex willingly then deny it after or who claim rape when it did not happen ie. Duke Lacrosse Team. Then there are the one's who get drunk at a party crawl all over a guy, grope him, excite him, get naked, and in the middle of the act realize what's going on and scream rape. In other words, they start it for whatever reason and claim they had nothing to do with it. I think the moment one says to stop you stop, but too many seem to think that all guys are guilty and all women are innocent and that my friends is not true.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

She sounds like she has an Indian accent?

If this video is geared at changing the minds of those living in 3rd world countries like India, I dont think its going to be very effective.

This video is targeted at educated Liberal types who find the sarcasm funny and cute.

From what Ive been told, in a nation like India, there is this cultural venomous hate for women. They are viewed as worthless trash and they "all deserve to be violently raped" because "they are sluts".

The real solution to this is very simple.

In a country like India, cultural change may occur, but it will take hundreds of years.

The way to deal with these barbarians, is for the women to be armed (apparently, gang rape is a crime that the police cant be bothered with, assuming the police arent the rapists. Cops arrive after the fact anyway).

Nor is the crime of rape or gang rape taken seriously. A woman who defends herself, injuring the attacker, is viewed as the criminal.

After a year of daily dead gang rapists at the hands of female victims armed with Glock 26s, you may see a change in the attitude of these monsters.
edit on 15-11-2013 by gladtobehere because: punctuation

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
As a guy I found dating difficult in that most guys I knew would get their date plastered then take advantage of them. I found that distasteful on several levels and couldn't fathom taking advantage of a girl that way. Long story short I was a "late bloomer" I guess but at least I don't have to wonder if anyone I was intimate with did it because they were so loaded they didn't know what they were doing. I wanted to know that the desire was something mutual.

I can't even get my head inside what these guys are thinking who commit rape (date rape included). How can it even be enjoyable? I wish girls would respect themselves more and not look for male attention for validation. Women, the only person you need approval of is yourself.

I thought the video was very clever and it's sad to think it's needed because rape happens every day, many times a day, often ruining the life of some poor victim whose sole crime was being female. This is my biggest problem with religion/theology that teach that women should submit to men. We should only submit ourselves out of love and for no other reason.

I don't know if this video will stop a single rape but if it does then mission accomplished. I wish I knew concrete steps we could take to end this problem forever.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

I think that's a function of how women view themselves.

We get into a very blurry region in the West when it comes to intoxication and consent, and that's where the conversation gets redirected, despite the fact that there's plenty of cases of non-consensual intercourse to focus on.

When you live in India, and you are subject to all kinds of out and out RAPE, things are a more black and white.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
As a guy I found dating difficult in that most guys I knew would get their date plastered then take advantage of them.

Most guys? Crap, really?

And here's what I mean about the way women view themselves.

If you've been duped into viewing your own vagina as a resource, rather than a sanctioned source of pleasure, of course when your inhibitions are chemically lowered you're going to depart from your conditioned state.

But still. If you can't score with the girl when she's sober, a wise person will just wait until the next date.

And I really, realy hope those dudes weren't in the majority.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join