It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit card sized device stores multiple card types, behaves like credit card (even works in ATM)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Saw this first on The Verge and if nothing else, it looks really cool.

From the FAQ on the company's website:

Q. What is a Coin?
A. Coin is a connected device that can hold and behave like the cards you already carry. Coin works with your debit cards, credit cards, gift cards, loyalty cards and membership cards. Instead of carrying several cards you carry one Coin. Multiple accounts and information all in one place.
Q. How do I get my cards onto a Coin?
A. Our mobile app will allow you to add, manage and sync the cards that you choose to store on your Coin. The process of adding card information to the mobile app is very simple and is done by taking a picture or two and swiping your Coin through a small device we provide you with.

Q. How many cards can a Coin hold?
A. The Coin mobile app can store an unlimited number of cards, however, a Coin can hold up to 8 cards at a time.
Q. What kinds of cards can I store in my Coin?
A. Debit cards, credit cards, gift cards, loyalty cards and membership cards.
Q. What mobile platforms will Coin support?
A. Coin mobile apps will be available for iOS and Android. We'll keep track of demand for Windows phone support and consider this for the future.
Q. Can I use my Coin for online payments?
A. Coin is designed to allow you to use your cards out in the world. When you are making a purchase online, the Coin mobile app can be used to reference your card details. The Coin itself, however, cannot be used directly for online payments.
Q. Can I use a Coin in an ATM?
A. Yes, a Coin can be used in an ATM.

Now really, how cool is that? It can even be used in an ATM as it's exactly the same size as a typical CC.

Forbes article
ABC article
edit on 15-11-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Cool stuff, $55 a pop though, probably best to wait a couple years til they work out the bugs then get on board

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
"Coin’s battery lasts two years, the company says"

somehow i doubt that..
edit on 11/16/13 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

It reminds me of the SIN from Shadowrun.

join