It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Quit!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
No. This isn't the typical "I'm leaving ATS" thread.

I quit my job.

I'm not crazy, though. I'm getting a new one.

But as I sat in my office this morning, playing Candy Crush and waiting for an underling to bring sacrificial offerings from the village of Dunkin Donuts, I thought about what my leaving has brought about.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but I think it relevant in todays social climate.

My supervisors (Overlords of Doom) displayed a variety of reactions to my leaving.

"How dare you!"
"Why are you doing this?"
"Are you mad, brah?"

In today's social climate, it is a buyers market for employers. People are hungry for jobs, everywhere. Employers can mistreat with near impunity because people have become afraid of the job market. And a resignation is often met with shock and disbelief.

As a culture we have become afraid. Afraid of taking a chance. Afraid of going outside the box. Afraid of making noise or doing anything that would bring attention to someone.

Government, business plays on that fear.

It keeps us under control. Be afraid of the healthcare issue!
Be afraid of unemployment!

Don't take chances!

As a culture, America used to be all about taking chances. Taking risks. I'm leaving a comfortable job for something more. Something different. Something that is risky, but the pay-off is much greater.

We all used to do that, to one degree or another.

Now we're all "askard".

Well screw that. Those that know me know that I'm always the one who will be peeing in the oatmeal of convention.

Is it scary? Sure.
Is it risky? Yep.
Does it require a leap of faith? Yes.

For the next week or so, I will be in limbo. Between jobs, between paychecks, between financial security. But sometimes, like baseball, you can't get your strikes unless you risk your balls.

Cheers, god bless, and I hope you find my little editorial amusing and enlightening.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You had me worried for a second there. Jobs are easy, ATS is forever!

And one way to keep some of the former money coming in is tell your employee (or former employee) that you will still be happy to do consulting work for the company, at a higher cost to them of course. That way the expertise you have can still be used by the company from time to time but you won't have to feel obligated on a daily basis.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I wish you well. I have always worked for myself.

You seem way too intelligent to work for someone else.

I hope all of your dreams come true.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Good luck, Beez!

Way to shake up the ol' work place! I think many businesses have used the recent recession to roll back work place concessions. Many people have accepted stagnation in their careers out of fright and uncertainty. Ya gotta go out there and get it for yourself.

Where's them bunny cheerleaders when ya need them?

Oh, here they are!

edit on 11/15/2013 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You totally nailed it with the incredulous reactions employers get when you leave because, now days, they fully believe that you should be licking their boots for the "blessing and opportunity to be working anywhere at all."

They work for us. When I work for an actual employer, I view it as me hiring them to find me cash. I'll supply them with the tools to do it (my labor) and they just need to dig it up for me. If they don't or if I don't feel they respect me, their "client", I "fire" the boss and just find better "bosses" to work for me.

I agree with you 100%: "Screw that".

Good luck, man. I feel dumb even saying that because you won't need it. You'll find some hardworking bosses to work for you soon enough.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

All hail ATS! All hail ATS! All hail ATS... *prostrate groveling*
edit on 15-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Good on ya!, I think its shows a healthy disposition to be able to shake off corporate servitude. Good luck with what ever it is you decide to do next.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

beezzer
No. This isn't the typical "I'm leaving ATS" thread.

I quit my job.

I'm not crazy, though. I'm getting a new one.

But as I sat in my office this morning, playing Candy Crush and waiting for an underling to bring sacrificial offerings from the village of Dunkin Donuts, I thought about what my leaving has brought about.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but I think it relevant in todays social climate.

My supervisors (Overlords of Doom) displayed a variety of reactions to my leaving.

"How dare you!"
"Why are you doing this?"
"Are you mad, brah?"

In today's social climate, it is a buyers market for employers. People are hungry for jobs, everywhere. Employers can mistreat with near impunity because people have become afraid of the job market. And a resignation is often met with shock and disbelief.

As a culture we have become afraid. Afraid of taking a chance. Afraid of going outside the box. Afraid of making noise or doing anything that would bring attention to someone.

It keeps us under control. Be afraid of the healthcare issue!
Be afraid of unemployment!

Don't take chances!

As a culture, America used to be all about taking chances. Taking risks. I'm leaving a comfortable job for something more. Something different. Something that is risky, but the pay-off is much greater.

We all used to do that, to one degree or another.

Now we're all "askard".

Well screw that. Those that know me know that I'm always the one who will be peeing in the oatmeal of convention.

Is it scary? Sure.
Is it risky? Yep.
Does it require a leap of faith? Yes.

For the next week or so, I will be in limbo. Between jobs, between paychecks, between financial security. But sometimes, like baseball, you can't get your strikes unless you risk your balls.

Cheers, god bless, and I hope you find my little editorial amusing and enlightening.

Couldn't agree more. I quit my previous job, spent about 2 weeks in limbo and found a much better job.
I wouldn't have never even heard of the opportunity had I stayed at my job.
I make more money, and work for a better company now.
S&F amigo

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good Luck Beez.
If anyone can do it you can.
All hail the Bunny.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Aleister

All hail ATS! All hail ATS! All hail ATS... *prostrate groveling*
edit on 15-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

on the flip side. if there were a competitor to ATS, I'd be there. I'm waiting...

ats is rubbing me the wrong way... i'm getting a rash from admin, not necessarily the peeps.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Best of luck to you beezz!
Things have a way of working themselves out.
Congratulations for not having to deal with a bunch of jerks anymore.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thanks for that Beez and congratulations in taking another hop in your career pathway.

So you finally got the job as a carrot picker then?

Expect a world shortage of carrots folks!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 15-11-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's a liberating feeling isn't it? In my opinion, not enough people embrace the sense of adventure that can be had when leaving one's comfort zone, wherever that applies. I remember leaving home at the age of 19, all of my worldly possessions packed into a few boxes, my last paycheck the only thing standing between me and destitution and driving 800 miles into the unknown (NJ sure seemed like the unknown to a boy from GA). I don't think I have ever felt more alive or more filled with a sense of promise for the future. Good luck to you.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Hey, beez!! Go you!!

Well done. (I thought you were going to explain why you aren't a mod anymore...weren't you one of the new staff here that we welcomed a few weeks ago? Maybe not. My mistake, probably.)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

beezzer

In today's social climate, we have become afraid. Afraid of taking a chance. Afraid of going outside the box. Afraid of making noise or doing anything that would bring attention to someone. Be afraid of the healthcare issue! Be afraid of unemployment!

Well screw that. I quit my job.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That makes perfect sense to me. I have been like that for a few years with my job. But you always think ohh jobs are hard to get etc..Well im just waiting for the sale of my house then im gonna do the big SCREW YOU to my multi millionaire boss, Who lives in a multi million pound converted barn. Expects me to do my work and carry other people to. Expects me to brake the law, And he wont even buy me a pair of workboots!.....Oh and good luck with your new job

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ah, there's something to that certain moment when you get to leave one rabbit hole for another and walk out the door for the last time. After you stop celebrating with high octane carrot juice and greens, you will awaken to boxes and the joys they bring, haha. All the best in your packing and moving, Beez. Let us know how it's going.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Thanks all!

What nice posts. *sniff* (I promised myself I wouldn't cry)

It's actually liberating and I think what we're missing in our culture anymore. Too many safety nets, too many timid mice out there, afraid of what might be over that next hill.

CHARGE!

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have seen two reactions in these situations.

From the bosses, yes, the one you mention, sort of how dare you after we raised you.

The other from your peers, are you mad, have you lost it, you need to reconsider, the only right decision is the one I would have made.

But often, what you don't see, is the next level down, they all admire your bold move thinking, there is hope for all of us yet, if he can do it, so can I, one of these days I am going to ..........

Good luck mate!

P

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

CHARGE!

You must be related to that rabbit from 'The Life of Brian'

Lol

P

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join