It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open A Can With No Tools (Kind Of)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

I feel like you're mocking me. It's OK, I deserve it.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's kind of funny. My can opener broke (because everything is a cheap piece of crap these days), and I had no money to go get another. I looked through youtube videos and probably watched this one.

I decided to go with the knife method. Stab and pull.

It taught me something though. Just because things work when everything is perfect doesn't mean they always will. Furthermore, just because you have food in a can doesn't mean you can get to it. If you havn't had to open a can without a can opener you should try it now.

While your at it learn to open beer bottles with a lighter or side of a counter, or how to get into a wine bottle with no cork screw.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Here you go the P-38 in action! www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
All looks a bit fishy to me...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

If you have trouble opening a can without the intendedd tool I would say your survival chances in general are less than zero.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If you've got tins of canned food you're not in a survival situation.
Still a good trick to know.
If that's tuna packed in oil just add a wick and you've got a candle

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
hmmmm odd. but if you find the can in a city you think you could find a knife or anything metal to puncture the top with, or a can opener. The only time this might happen is in the woods where you have nothing. There you'd only have rocks. So you take the rock and you rub that around the edge the way they did to wear out the lid n pop it open. It's a smart idea though

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

One or two blows to the top of a can with a rock will probably suffice.........

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

At least the cat will survive.

Domo1
That part got me, especially with my avatar cat.

This is the number one priority to any leal and honest citizen of the internets.

evc1shop
I don't think it is sanding down the metal enough that it is at that point where filings would be everywhere. If you were worried about that, you could wipe the can off before turning it upright and trying to open it.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I just get really paranoid about food containers sometimes.

The excess oil/water might flush it out too. Kind of like when you open a Champagne bottle with a saber and the pressure removes the shards of glass.

Only like a million times less fancy.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

scubagravy
reply to post by xDeadcowx

there should not be any concrete on a camping trip

Hmm should I pack a can opener or a concrete block into my backpack?

Decisions decisions.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I don't think in Survival situation i would rely on an IQ test based on modern standard.

For example, an African tribe member probably survive better than a PhD person with 200IQ who was born in a safety bubble of the modern society(aka where the IQ test is based upon).

IQ test should vary in different fields.
edit on 11/15/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Power_Semi

Didn't you hear the Russian guy in the video?

"I have a lot of concrete. You know it, you can find concrete anywhere on a state, right?"

It's all over the place man.

Especially in former Soviet republics.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I know how to open a beer with a lighter.....they teach that in high school.....lol

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is awesome to know. After watching American blackout, I made it a point to pick up an extra pair of can openers, but this is a great way to open a can if you're suddenly bugging out and forgot the can openers

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
When I was young we did this with cans to hide drugs and cigarettes, but we where always pretty crafty at hiding things from authority. You could usually sit the lid back in place if the rigid ends catch each other. While the typical hiding spots where searched, the beat up can sitting off to the side would always go over looked.

It would have occurred to me very naturally that this works if i encountered the situation of not being able to open a can.

Sometimes growing up poor and encountering the "up to no good" has it's benefits.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Someone invented and marketed a can lid unroller which I saw when I was at school 40 years ago. Another kid from Germany had one. They are so much better than the ones which cut through the top or side and they still have not got into mainstream use. They just unroll the top of the can and you lift it off. They dont have a blade on them but one cog-wheel thing where normally you would find the circular blade. I found them in a shop a couple of years ago and bought 2 of them. Really cool things, obviously I just dont like the sharp can tops very much. I will post a pic soon in case anyone is interested.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

qmantoo
Someone invented and marketed a can lid unroller which I saw when I was at school 40 years ago. Another kid from Germany had one. They are so much better than the ones which cut through the top or side and they still have not got into mainstream use. They just unroll the top of the can and you lift it off. They dont have a blade on them but one cog-wheel thing where normally you would find the circular blade. I found them in a shop a couple of years ago and bought 2 of them. Really cool things, obviously I just dont like the sharp can tops very much. I will post a pic soon in case anyone is interested.

Doesn't it just change where the sharp edges are located? I would think the unrolled edges are not the dullest things in the world.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

I have been carrying a P-38 on my keys for over 30yrs, the old one I have can also be used as a screwdriver in a pinch.

more P-38 info

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
wet the rock or concrete it will work alot faster

like a wet stone...which will work even better then concrete, and you wouldn't be effing up the edge of your good knife
rinsing thew surface a bit will slurry off the metal filings too

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

AlaskanDad
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

I have been carrying a P-38 on my keys for over 30yrs, the old one I have can also be used as a screwdriver in a pinch.

more P-38 info

my father gave me his old ww2 can opener
its called a bayonette lol...
he used to punch through the lid of the can at the edge, place the handle of a spoon placed across the top of the can, under the back of the blade, and pry down on the handle so the blade cuts upwards through the can lid, and then just slide around the can, till you can pop the lid up...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join