It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Bird Flu Strain -H6N1- Can Jump to Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
A new strain of bird flu -H6N1- can jump from birds to humans. It was found in Taiwan when a 20 year-old woman was infected. She was successfully treated with an anti-viral so it doesn't seem as serious as the other bird flu strains in the region.

Meanwhile, Thailand is on alert for H5N1, H7N9 and MERS. No one seems terribly concerned with H7N7 although it too can jump the species barrier to infect humans.

An early cold spell in September resulted in a rash of flu cases in the Northern Hemisphere but now, relatively warmer temperatures and higher humidity have temporarily postponed the 2013-14 flu season. It's still going to come but it's anyone's guess which strains will dominate. North American vaccines cover H1N1 (which is still circulating), H3N2 and an Influenza B strain.

New 'H6N1' Bird Flu Reported in Taiwan

A 20-year-old woman in Taiwan is the first person known to be infected with a strain of bird flu called H6N1, according to a new report of the case.

In May, the woman was hospitalized after she developed a high fever, cough and shortness of breath. Tests for common respiratory infections came up negative, but more detailed tests revealed she had H6N1, a flu virus that's common in birds, but has never before been seen in people.

The woman was treated with the anti-viral medication oseltamivir (Tamiflu), and made a full recovery.

New bird flu strain found that can jump to humans

A NEW strain of bird flu has mutated to infect humans after a woman became the first person in the world to be infected.

Thai Ministry steps up efforts to fight viruses

Public Health Minister Pradit Sintawanarong said the ministry was concerned by possible outbreaks of avian influenza viruses H5N1 and H7N9, and a new Sars-like strain of novel coronavirus known as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

We were going back to Northern Thailand today but could not get on the first leg of our flight. So tomorrow we will try again. We have been checking the local news about an outbreak of Flu in Thailand but as of yet nothing has been reported. People do not shake hands normally in Thailand (which is good) so the main way of transmission is being in an enclosed area where someone is hacking and coughing or by touching something an infected person has been fondling... All bets are off at a hospital or even a hotel...

Thanks for posting and when we get there I will see if I hear of anything going on. This time of year all the snow birds (from all over the world) go to the tropical paradise which in many people's minds is Thailand.. Kinda messes up the Golf in some areas because of everyone wanting to play...

If I did get sick I personally would rather be there than the U.S. because of care and COST !

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It was only a matter of time before this happened. S&F It is interesting how these viruses are mutating so fast. The main ingredient in Tamaflu is also in pine needle tea.

Here is an article that caught my eye. www.sciencedaily.com...

I don't think this is anything to worry about if the gut microbes are living symbiotically but if there are problems it could be an issue. I'm investigating natural things that can help with this but the problem is that knowing what plant based medicines effect which microbes is not tested much in the USA. You would hate to give the wrong plant medicine or kill all the beneficial microbes in the gut so they could not control the other microbes from getting overpopulated.
edit on 14-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

join