Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

What happened the last decades

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
No doubt I'm late with this and others already know this but I need to verify this for myself and have been spending most of my time studying earlier history. I thought I got all this with history class but guess I slept through it and missed some vital points. So what happened the last few decades. When the USA went to Vietnam, got to China then headed back all of a sudden and decided to make long term bases. In China mr Zedong basically covered up a lot of the cultural past, while in Iran the cultural revolution happened not to mention they purged all western influences. Meanwhile the USA has a period of an overdose of imagination, flowerpower, heal the world or dominate it with military, at the same time almost propaganda for Good all these cartoons, movies, books, series. So are those 'events' connected, orchestrated, did the Chinese and Iranians see something coming and decided to store their culture away safely? Then the internet, was the Y2K bug there because programmers at the time or the masterminds figured there would be no use for them after 2000, maybe because of a time machine and neglected but then it didn't work and it had to be corrected evenso. I'm still looking into other countries reactions at the time so feel free to add.
edit on 13/11/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
-In late 1998 Hasbro released "Furby". An interactive robotic children's toy which looked like a furry bipedal bird/chinchilla. It was the must have holiday toy that year.

I think that's it... Nothing else really happened since then.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm not sure what exactly your asking but a ton has happened. The Vietnam war for example - China doesn't get along with that county anyway but had their hands it in all along to some extent.
The U. S. is a superpower, and so was Russia at that time so China befriended the U. S. (cold war concerns I believe). Little things like that can shape relationships for good or bad. So put a whole chain of events together and you will come to find out how we got to where we are.

Here is an introduction to a book about how China and other Countires during that war.

uncpress.unc.edu...

With Iran - the United States has been on shakey ground with them since 1979. Better for periods of time but never lasting and for sure not the trust that once existed between us.

As you learn things I hope you post. History books can help us weave it together but it is good to hear some perspective outside of those, based on fresh research.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenManXphile

During the emasculation of the youth and your blade of grass is...
well, by chance, or hope, every moving thing...By reality would fight itself and all else to death,I look for the day to kick a box and see food fall out a hole ...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

Well, I think you are right about the Middle-East getting rid of Western influences because they did not want a cultural collapse to happen. However, I'm not sure what to think about that. It seems like in the U.S. at the moment, we are polarized into areas that are way too conservative and areas that are way too liberal, when we need to be more balanced, I honestly cannot stand extremists.

---------

I wanted to edit this post, actually now that I thought about it. I think in the U.S. we are screwed. The Muslim Brotherhood's goal was actually to bring scientific advancements to the Middle East while preserving their culture.

I think that it sounds good to have the flower power and stuff, but now that I see the result, I'm thinking the Middle-East is going to end up with a more advanced and progressive society than the future U.S. - I honestly think that - probably even more free than here.
edit on 14amThu, 14 Nov 2013 00:21:56 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

The relationship between man & technology in the last 100 years has been constantly evolving.
Mankind lusts for new technology breakthroughs!

Mankind has been in conflict with technology all through out history. But it's been in the last 100 years that technology has really shown what a powerful weapon it can be against mankind.

Radio, movies, television, the internet... all powerful, insidious, and we are enslaved to it. Technology has affected us all.

Forget all the past presidents, vice presidents, forget the prime ministers and premiers. The last 100 years has been about mankind's relationship with technology... and these men here are simply cogs in the machine or bricks in the wall...
edit on 11/14/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: add prime ministers!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Y2k happened. Big corporations knew the problem would cut into profits their "solution" they shifted us into an alternate reality. I'm not aware that this technology exists but someone on ATS is I'm sure of that. Probably one that communicates telepatheticaly with ailiens from Pleiades which is only 2,492,539,120,000,000 quadrillion miles away.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by freakshowfatty

I like that! Made me think! ;D

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I can't answer about Vietnam as it was before I was born but I can answer the internet. When I was a kid my dad was a fairly early adopter of the internet, I was online by the time I was 4 years old (I learned to read at 2 and write at 3, it took a bit longer to be taught how to work a modem) and that was 1986. Back then computers didn't have nearly as much memory and code was written to run on machines of the current day. Storage capacity has expanded by several orders of magnitude since then. Today my desktop computer has 64 gigs of ram. In 2001 I had 32 megs of ram. If you're unaware that means I have 2048 times as much memory as I did a mere 12 years ago. In 1988 my computer (which I still have and it runs so this is easy to check, and no it's not y2k compliant, yes it still runs) had 16 kb of ram, again 1/2048 what I had in 2001. This means computers 30 years ago were much more limited as to what could be loaded into memory at any given time.

Storage space has similarly increased. My current computer has 4 TB of storage while the 2001 computer has 4 GB of storage (1024x increase) and the 1988 computer has 32 mb of storage (about 1/128 as much storage... the hard drive revolution was slower to take off).

In grade school when I learned to program the device I used had 7028 BYTES of memory/space (ram/storage were combined). That is less storage space than a maximum length ATS post. I wrote a functioning clock on that device (it was a graphing calculator) using only a small portion of the memory. The point is though, modern programming tries to be as verbose as possible because we have all this space and using it makes life easier. It wasn't always so, at one time programming had to be as space conscious as possible and that lead to practices like cutting the first two digits from the year in order to save space. The problem this caused was in the form of calculating dates. 2000-1999 is 1 but 00-99 is -99, this was an issue for example if a bank was calculating interest or a company was calculating payroll.

There's actually another y2k issue in 2038 which has to do with unix. They calculate time from the epoch (jan 1 1970), all dates are calculated as how many seconds have happened since that point. However this variable is widely stored as a 32 bit signed integer which has a maximum value of 2^31-1. As a result dates will wrap around on Jan 19th 2038 to Dec 9 1901 or so. Again, this is because of memory constraints when these devices were built and similar problems are quite common in computing.

In computer gaming for example there was a period of several years where a computer could have 4 gigs of physical memory however because processors and operating systems were all 32 bit they couldn't physically extend past 3.2 gigs. This is because each byte of memory has an identifying number to index where it is, the computer could only handle numbers up to a certain size so once you went past that it couldn't index things. This is still a problem today, but because 64 bit systems are relatively new and the hardware has yet to really catch up we haven't hit those limits.

It's not from some conspiracy where people on a mass scale thought we wouldn't be alive anymore. Though with the cold war many people did believe that, being fairly young at the time though I wasn't too exposed to cold war paranoia. My only real memory of it is maps and globes showing the USSR as a country. It never even really connected to me until in 5th grade I overheard my teachers talking about how the maps all needed to be changed. Though I do remember seeing the Berlin Wall come down on TV, my mom forced me to watch it. That's starting to go off topic though.

So back on topic, you mentioned time machines. You're right, time machines do exist. You're trapped in one right now. It travels forward at a rate of 24 hours per day.
edit on 16-11-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

People don't really understand the tech walls and hurdles, the software that makes hardware work has billions of man hours put into it. Always growing and evolving.

The engineering of computer hardware has its limits.

new topics

top topics

join