It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Manual For Creating Atheists

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Ironically, this. In addition to other stuff that has nothing to do with this topic.
edit on 15-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

LMAO

That's because none of us know what we are talking about.

“Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know.”

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by skalla

Atheism, by its grammatical components, literally means "without theism", or "without a god". Beyond that, atheism means nothing. There are thousands of different kinds of atheism that can exist. The only requirement is that you not believe in a god, or should a god be proven to exist, you live without a god.

Quite. Thanks for stating the obvious

Hence all these meetings, books, celeb writers and speakers and so on are utterly pointless. Athiesm just "is".

The rest is un-needed gravy.

Unless you make a living out of it, and some already do. More seem ready to join the gravy train.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Thanks for reminding me why I usually ignore you.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

LMAO

That's because none of us know what we are talking about.

“Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know.”

Congratulations.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

For gravy there would have to be some meat and potatoes or something of substance.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

oh, bless xxx

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

NewAgeMan
reply to post by skalla

For gravy there would have to be some meat and potatoes or something of substance.

Quite, Athiesm has no need for this, no need for a philosophy or any of the gumph some seem so keen to add to it. I have no problem with athiesm at all - i'm not a christian for example, but feel no need for some label or leaders for my beliefs.

Athiesm has nor needs meat and two veg. So the gravy is wasted.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Dude.... That was a pretty fun read... Very interesting, very thought provoking, brings many questions, even alternative theories to the surface...

Thanks for posting that.... I need to let this information sink in now.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

You're most welcome!

Please also check this, this, and this referenced on the last page as well for your contemplative and grokking pleasure.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Oh, I get it now. This thread is the manual for creating atheists! Well played, Grim. Well played indeed. Although as far as gauntlets go, you appear to have overlooked a few details which would have completed this course quite nicely...

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
Oh, I get it now. This thread is the manual for creating atheists! Well played, Grim. Well played indeed. Although as far as gauntlets go, you appear to have overlooked a few details which would have completed this course quite nicely...

A closed mind isn't open for alternative views. A bull is a bull and a hard head is only best to crack eggs over.

I've read many atheist threads as well as religious threads on this site. None greater or more definitive of the next, yet none shake my belief system. Change and alter some perceptions where I know it needs correcting? Yes, but I am a creature to learn from the past and present.

A thread to "create" atheists? Sounds like a jehova's witness showing up at the door to convert.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

You are more than welcome to leave at any time. There's a little red 'x' in the corner of your browser window, a tab bar with the label "MyATS" on it, or any other number of viable methods by which to vacate this discussion and forget it ever happened. Don't forget to remove it from your list of subscribed threads.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Civility in arrogance displayed as ignorance infinity. Tisk, tisk.

I've been civil and looked at your view points over and over and kept an open mind, yet my belief in "Whatever you want to call it" still holds firm. Why? I take no religion, I have no label, yet you do. Why?

I have not once directed anger or angst, only kept leaving other postulations that you spit down with regurgitated rhetoric you display in every other thread in regards to religion and atheism.

On a site that is driven off of civil discussion you shut your mind on other posibilities.

You use logic, in a illogical world, there is no greater ignorrance than what you just displayed.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Civility in arrogance displayed as ignorance infinity. Tisk, tisk.

By informing you of your ability to leave us blaspheming heretics to our sinful behavior and find more tasteful company to occupy yourself with? Nah. I don't find that arrogant in the least.

I've been civil and looked at your view points over and over and kept an open mind, yet my belief in "Whatever you want to call it" still holds firm. Why? I take no religion, I have no label, yet you do. Why?

Every idea has a label. Every philosophy a name. Every color a means of expressing it. I have heard the saying that if one does not stand for something, one will fall for anything. So I would rather have a philosophy with a name than no philosophy at all.

I have not once directed anger or angst, only kept leaving other postulations that you spit down with regurgitated rhetoric you display in every other thread in regards to religion and atheism.

I do my best to remind calm and objective, but I am only human. I am an animal with desires and triggers, like yourself. And I have never asked anyone to be perfect. I have only asked them to accept me as completely as I accept them.

These threads are intellectual exercises for me. A means of honing my analytical processes, so that my psychological edge may never grow dull and fail me. I have previously compared it to the dharma, being deep within a pitch black maze which I can only explore by throwing myself against the walls and testing the edges with my fingertips. Those who do not wish to assist me in the process may withdraw or refuse to participate. But whosoever suggests or demands that I cease my explorations may as well remain silent for all the good it will do them.

You use logic, in a illogical world, there is no greater ignorrance than what you just displayed.

You're displeased with my methods. That's a shame. But seeing as how I am not convinced of your infallibility, I shall file your objection with all the others and continue my practices.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

By informing you of your ability to leave us blaspheming heretics to our sinful behavior and find more tasteful company to occupy yourself with? Nah. I don't find that arrogant in the least.

Not once have I called you or anyone in this or any thread a "heretic". Spare me your semantics and read your post again, sir.

You are more than welcome to leave at any time. There's a little red 'x' in the corner of your browser window, a tab bar with the label "MyATS" on it, or any other number of viable methods by which to vacate this discussion and forget it ever happened. Don't forget to remove it from your list of subscribed threads

That's as ignorant as it comes, infinity. Furthermore~

Every idea has a label. Every philosophy a name. Every color a means of expressing it. I have heard the saying that if one does not stand for something, one will fall for anything. So I would rather have a philosophy with a name than no philosophy at all.

Nobody said I dont' have a philosophy, nor did any great philosopher come to any conclusion that there is "no god". I choose not to have a "label" because in doing so states I am a conformist, which is not the case and I'd rather walk alone than with individuals who label themselves as anything.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It shouldn't matter what religion or belief system you follow, as long as you recognize that the world is filled with both good and evil and make a conscious decision to strive for the better, then we are on the same team

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Lets keep going since my full post was cut in half.

I do my best to remind calm and objective, but I am only human. I am an animal with desires and triggers, like yourself. And I have never asked anyone to be perfect. I have only asked them to accept me as completely as I accept them.

I've accepted you as you are, in all your thoughts as well. I only probe and dig deeper to find out more on your logic and why a Infinity "ticks" the way he/she does.

This though.... Is more of a enigma than and hypocrisy.

These threads are intellectual exercises for me. A means of honing my analytical processes, so that my psychological edge may never grow dull and fail me. I have previously compared it to the dharma, being deep within a pitch black maze which I can only explore by throwing myself against the walls and testing the edges with my fingertips. Those who do not wish to assist me in the process may withdraw or refuse to participate. But whosoever suggests or demands that I cease my explorations may as well remain silent for all the good it will do them.

You state that your an Atheist yet you use method that is everything but atheistic. So you contradict yourself at the very core of your statement. I accept where your coming from but, really???

Just a layman example of what Dharma means, if none of our readers know.

Search Resultsdhar·ma
/ˈdärmə/
noun
noun: dharma1. Hinduismthe principle of cosmic order.
•virtue, righteousness, and duty, esp. social and caste duty in accord with the cosmic order.2. Buddhismthe teaching or religion of the Buddha.

Really? Come on, i'm fair to keep it civil but if your going to use a word that is used throught most all religion(s) on many different "Spiritual" levels, I would say your anything but Atheist, if not someone who's "mad" at god, (If he is infact real =P / not debating) for whatever reason... That's a different discussion, I digress.

Lastly~

You're displeased with my methods. That's a shame. But seeing as how I am not convinced of your infallibility, I shall file your objection with all the others and continue my practices.

Not at all, I just find the individual who I keep postulating to more of an enigma and hypocritical once you get to the roots, but that's all that you've shown continuously on these boards and is anything but Dharma.

I shall file your complains and objections under the hypocritical file, and I will continue to read and postulate more to you as the years pass on these boards. I've more or less taken a intrest in a person who contradicts what he states, once you given him a ruse.

So consider our future discussions as "philosophical" at the heart, and always keep the civility Infinity.

Remember, I don't always get a rise, but when I do I drink Dos Equis

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Atheism?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I beg your indulgences for a moment. Normally I know what I want to say, but now I have little more than a feeling, an uncomfortable one, and we'll both have to work to make sense of it.

One part of my feeling comes from the idea presented that humans are just animals. Examples,

I do my best to remind calm and objective, but I am only human. I am an animal with desires and triggers, like yourself.

And that rather lengthy exposition showing the chemical reactions of a brain during various stimuli. Both of these seem to miss out on what humanity is. Yes, there can be a trigger, but we are not slaves to it, we can still control our thoughts and actions.

As far as that long medical lecture, what it claims to prove is a very strange thing indeed.

So I have now established with medical facts that the religious mind is an abused one.

Religion functions devoid of morality and as it is declining, the quality of life is improving globally.
It's a result of childhood or adult trauma.
If you are religious...you are a victem.

Even in today's secular world, over 80% of the world claims a religion. In the past the percentage was higher. Does the evidence show that 80 - 100% of the world's population had trauma or abused minds? One, I don't believe it. Second, if a "trauma" happens to everyone then it is just a normal part of living, The "birth trauma," for example. In that case, even if that medical stuff is correct and shows what the poster thinks it does, then religion is a natural part of life. Since Atheists don't accept a supernatural aspect to life, the natural is the real. Therefore, Atheists should accept that religion is real.

I'm also wondering at the (tone? behavior?) of some of those supporting Atheism here. If I knew nothing else about them but their few words here, I would think of them as prickly and unhappy, perhaps closed-minded.

I'm also a little concerned by the way the comments of the Theists are brushed aside as irrelevant, and their very thinking skills described as flawed beyond repair. (See my link to Bulverism in my signature.) Christianity has thousands more facts supporting it than does Atheism, but that never seems to matter. And when one thinks of the brilliant minds of all time, one finds they are Theists, or even Catholic.

I'm surprised, too, at the passive, almost helpless nature of the Atheist. The cry "I'm just going to sit here, and you have to prove it to me scientifically with no possibility of doubt. And I get to decide when it's proved," seems dishonest and unmanly. They realize that the final absolute proof is in the spiritual realm, but then they announce "No proof concerning the spiritual realm is acceptable."

We're only interested in the facts here...not feelings or hunches.
If that were really true, which it isn't, the Atheist could be asked for their proof, their facts, that God doesn't exist, in the face of the fact that the overwhelmingly universal experience of Man is that He does.

Problem with a faith-based belief system is you don't have any credible facts, so that might limit the scope of the conversation.
This, again, points out the problem. The Atheist agrees that there are facts supporting Faith, but blows them all away by saying they're not believable. As we know, there are no facts at all supporting Atheism. Further, I wish I could win all my "debates" by telling my opponent, "You lose, your facts aren't credible.

Atheists speak of their reliance on facts and reason. Unfortunately, they only rely on the facts that serve their purpose, and twist reason.

As I said, this is a tangled mess. I'm trying to convey very disorganized thoughts. Hope you got a little something from it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

charles1952
Yes, there can be a trigger, but we are not slaves to it, we can still control our thoughts and actions.

The science says otherwise and if you'd actually watched the material, you'd realize that.

As far as that long medical lecture, what it claims to prove is a very strange thing indeed.
Even in today's secular world, over 80% of the world claims a religion. In the past the percentage was higher. Does the evidence show that 80 - 100% of the world's population had trauma or abused minds?

If they were indoctrinated during childhood then yes. Even in adulthood after suffering an NDE, traumatic loss, freak accident or occurance...trauma is the underlying mechanic.

If that were really true, which it isn't...

Yes, it is true. Just the facts, sir. Not theories. No pink & fuzzy feelings. Just cold hard facts.

This, again, points out the problem.

Yes, because for a theist, the facts can be a nuisance.

-Peace-

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join