It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Manual For Creating Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Grimpachi
.....I don’t think anyone needs converting I think people should find their own path where ever it leads..........

Although i agree with many of the things you said... How can everybody choose their own path ,
while they've brainwashed since they are born by societies, families....
Isn't it considered converting. when religious parents push their beliefs to their childs?
A young child hasn't got a choice but to accept the religion of his parents.
Childs are forced to become religious... by family and societies
Children don't meet god when born, others put that idea in their head, and when grown up they will also do the same to their own children and this goes on and on....

for ex:
I was forced to believe in god, If I questioned what I've been told, I ended up beaten for being a blasphemer
I was forced to have christian paintings statues and crosses all around my room
I was forced to go to sunday school, forced to pray in school, forced to go to church,
they terrorized me with hell and satan, so much that I couldn't even sleep at nghts
Forced to hate pagans, Jahowas witnesses, muslims, buddists and Jews
Even my political ID stated I was a christian untill the state finaly decided to remove religion from ID's,
(with massive protests from church)
I never had a choice, like everyone else in my surroundings. Nearly all my childhood ''friends'' are fundamentalists, just like their parents!
As a marginal I was a satanist in my teens and then atheist the last 25 years.
(Satanists exist just because of christians. If there was no christianity there would be no satanism....)

I even have problem with the baptizing thing, Why kids are being baptized Christians when born?
Shouldn't that be a choice of the child when he would become adult?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by Grimpachi

I have known about it for a while but thought maybe I shouldn’t bring it up on ATS because authoring a thread about this might not be worth the headache.

You'll be fine

This is annoying to me, this whole book concept.

Atheism is ABOUT NOTHING. Creating stuff like this and having 'churches' is just turning atheism into a religion.

People will cry foul and claim that it isn't, but that's the truth. Religious folk get together to worship their own words and ideas every week and to spread their message and fund their locations.

Atheism is effectively doing the same thing with this book.

~Tenth

Cannot argue with this. Also, just some FYI, just the name Church is borrowed from Christianity.

Actually the name in the original Greek, ekklesia, was not a building at all. Rather it was a group of Christians that met together to worship. Thus eccelsia, or church, or congregation, is a group of Christians who gather together to worship.

You really can't have a real atheist Church. You can copycat the real Christian congregation, but that is all it is. Anyway, if you are so angry over Christians meeting together, or spreading their word, why do you copy them? Well, they do say that 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Domo1
I love that guy on reddit who said 'I'm not a professional quote maker or anything but I though you guys at /r/atheism would enjoy this.' Worst/best quote ever.

'In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But, because I am enlightened by my intelligence.'

- Aalewis (aka super brave guy)

Favorite atheist copypasta. I have a feeling some people that show up to this thread will be VERY euphoric and tip their fedoras at one another.

FFS get raptured already.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Morning,

As if atheists don't have enough hatred already coming at them from those of faith, now we have to add this log on the fire too?
I think their book is a waste of paper and their cause a lost one.
This is as insane as "Hippies for Peace" forming an armed regiment.
Feminists holding a strip-off to show that female exploitation is wrong.
Chauvinists deciding to hold weekly meetings in the kitchen where they can swap recipes.
Homophobes starting a flower float in the GALA parade.
The only publication with atheists in it that I wanna see has a centrefold.
This is just another case of "outta the frying pan and into the fire".

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The new atheist churchian movement is the best proof that atheists and the religious - that is, religious by the TRADITIONAL definition of religion - are two sides of the same corrupt and ignorant coin. What any type of true believer has in common is his or her being utterly OWNED by the monolithic, absolutist rule BY secrecy, which is the most essential thing of which the existing political world is comprised. They all depend on the spookocracy - the REAL government - to coddle and defer to their fragile and infantile egos and psyches, their blind faith-based cultism. It's not difficult to imagine how equally negatively they will or would react to proof of the existence of the intelligently unseen (IU) that is clearly NOT associated with any religion.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Klassified
Just what we need. Atheists proselytizing, and inviting people to church.

Sheesh!

How does it work? Fight something long enough and you become what you started out to fight?

It does seem the Atheists are becoming the worst of what they initially set out against. It always seems to go that way eventually, too. Whatever the topic. Activism leads into extremism and the ends justify the means.

I liked it better when Religion or the lack of it, was a personal thing to each person.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Lightworth
The new atheist churchian movement is the best proof that atheists and the religious - that is, religious by the TRADITIONAL definition of religion - are two sides of the same corrupt and ignorant coin.

The only thing this is proof of is that people are abhorent of change.
This is not a "two-sides" issue with agnostics in the middle.
This is what happens when an ideology (in this case a religious one) overtakes and taints reason.
If this group has churches, seeks converts and cash then it's NOT atheism and is more appropriately labeled a "cult". It's the same as saying: "It's a fact that everyone who owns a gun has shot & killed another human being at some point in their life".

I don't know what rock they crawled out from under but I hope they go back there soon.

Next thing ya know, they'll be writing songs to sing about their "un-god" and start wearing funny hats.

-Peace-
edit on 14-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If you are not Atheist by your own method, you will quickly revert back to whatever club you belonged to. Thus you have many of those "i was an atheist".

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

How does it work? Fight something long enough and you become what you started out to fight?

It does seem the Atheists are becoming the worst of what they initially set out against. It always seems to go that way eventually, too. Whatever the topic. Activism leads into extremism and the ends justify the means.

I liked it better when Religion or the lack of it, was a personal thing to each person.

I can't argue with that. I've only been an atheist a handful of years. I'm finally learning to chill out, mellow out, be what I am, and not worry about what everyone else is. Now suddenly, a group of atheists want to practice the very things I walked away from. Fundamentalism and evangelism.

It could almost make me believe in Karma.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Labels-words we use, created in our heads, based on past experience up to that point in time. We project these labels onto everything we see, instantly, based on what's in our memory banks, having seen it already. We can never answer the questions: why are we here, what is our purpose, will I ever achieve enlightenment? We cannot experience being dead. So why the continuous search for meaning in life? It is this very search that burns us out. Is there a heaven? No one knows. Do we have a "soul"? More thought projection, based on ancient data, based on our willingness to believe whatever delusion our minds serve up to our body. Knowledge is experience. Truth is a word.

A manual for getting people off a belief system? Can't be any worse that the Watchtower leaflet on my front door mat.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It's the arrogance, and patronising tone that seems a bit icky.
They plan "to correct peoples reasoning".
I find that a bit creepy.
They have basically decided what you believe is wrong, that you are somehow defective, and they are going to correct you.
Thats as creepy to me as some cult wanting to brainwash you.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

An empty vessel is easy to fill.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Today, Pastor Grim, will be giving the first of three
in a rare series of teachings from the pulpit. Titled

" Do you believe, in disbelief !"

Let's listen in shall we ?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

What if someone writes a book on how to live a happy and productive life without religion?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
I say translate it to Arabic, and start air dropping it all over the Middle East.

Translating it to Italian and air dropping Millions of copies all over Rome would be nice too.

Actually, just drop the darned book until it rains from the sky everywhere sufficiently enough such that we're up to our knees in it, everywhere, yes, everywhere.

If it doesn't eliminate religion, it might sufficiently bosh some on the head hard enough they might have another think.

edit on 11/13/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

sure, balloons over north korea?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I hope I haven't given that impression...as I have explained before, I am exploring dharma. These threads are an exercise in critical thinking, honing analytical skills which will prevent me from ever falling into any kind of trap where I fail to think things through.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hasn't this boat anyway sailed?
I thought the manual for creating an atheist was a bible??

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Haha. You're funny.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

Christians do not accept Islamists, correct? Both are theist groups, but they have different ways of handling the same general lifestyle. One is passive, the other is aggressive. The same goes for atheists. Zealous evangelical atheists are not our friends, not "professionally". Their approach to spirituality is not the paragon of atheism, nor do we claim it as such. We are not all the same, so perhaps a smaller brush would be more appropriate when addressing the issue. Please remember that.
edit on 14-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Dr1Akula

Grimpachi
.....I don’t think anyone needs converting I think people should find their own path where ever it leads..........

Although i agree with many of the things you said... How can everybody choose their own path ,
while they've brainwashed since they are born by societies, families....
Isn't it considered converting. when religious parents push their beliefs to their childs?
A young child hasn't got a choice but to accept the religion of his parents.
Childs are forced to become religious... by family and societies
Children don't meet god when born, others put that idea in their head, and when grown up they will also do the same to their own children and this goes on and on....

for ex:
I was forced to believe in god, If I questioned what I've been told, I ended up beaten for being a blasphemer
I was forced to have christian paintings statues and crosses all around my room
I was forced to go to sunday school, forced to pray in school, forced to go to church,
they terrorized me with hell and satan, so much that I couldn't even sleep at nghts
Forced to hate pagans, Jahowas witnesses, muslims, buddists and Jews
Even my political ID stated I was a christian untill the state finaly decided to remove religion from ID's,
(with massive protests from church)
I never had a choice, like everyone else in my surroundings. Nearly all my childhood ''friends'' are fundamentalists, just like their parents!
As a marginal I was a satanist in my teens and then atheist the last 25 years.
(Satanists exist just because of christians. If there was no christianity there would be no satanism....)

I even have problem with the baptizing thing, Why kids are being baptized Christians when born?
Shouldn't that be a choice of the child when he would become adult?

You already covered a great chunk of what I was going to say.

Just to add, here in Canada, colluding with the government, to kidnap the kids of natives. Force them into boarding schools to turn the savage heathens into good, tame, god fearing people.

Then there is the whole penis mutilation thing. That should be illegal to perform on anyone under 18 IMO.

That said, trying to "brainwash" people into becoming atheist is probably just as damaging as being "brainwashed" into being anything. I kinda doubt writing a manual is going to hasten the "atheist cause", whatever that is. You can probably find most, if not all, of what will be written in that book, here in the religion section. Or just about anywhere that frank theological discussion is allowed.
edit on Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:27:04 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join