It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to the NSA?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Something just occurred to me. Why do we have a Department of Homeland Security? Isn't it supposed to protect our national security? If so, then what is the NSA's job? You hardly hear of them these days. If the NSA's job is national security then why create a Department of Homeland Security?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
NSA = information filter

DHS = police state initiative

IMO

[edit on 17-11-2004 by sturod84]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
NSA = information filter

DHS = police state initiative

IMO

[edit on 17-11-2004 by sturod84]

That's a good analysis. I would speculate that the DHS is a police state initiative as well.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some people prefer to stay in the background watching and feeding information to others. That's what the NSA is doing.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
NSA's charter is for foreign signal intelligence. It can not do anything domestically. I should Know, having spent 20+ years in it's service.

www.nsa.gov...

[edit on 17/11/04 by jrsdls]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hmm... that's a very good point. Not only is that the case, but you should also realize that Bush plans on creating another counter-terrorism department too. Bush should be stopped, seeing as how his strategies are becoming ineffective and are gradually becoming obsolete to his views.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The NSA's job is to listen. If I say any more then jrsdls will have to kill me.

I've only been to one NSA facility - Ft. Meade. The whole week there, I felt like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If you were to ask me, that's the more salient question. Why is the Department of Defense called that, when it can't even defend the homeland?

So now we have at least two giant departments for "defense". Go figure.

Meanwhile, the reason we don't hear much about the NSA is that their V.P. of Marketing has been sacked.

NSA is all about gathering and processing information for use by other intelligence agencies, although NSA also has its own operations division. I wonder what they do?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
NSA's charter is for foreign signal intelligence. It can not do anything domestically. I should Know, having spent 20+ years in it's service.

They are allowed to listen domestically for the FBI/whoever if provided with a warrant, aren't they?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
SPITZEN PILZNER VON VELT - THE NSA HOLD THE KEYS

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yea, It looks like the defense dept is more offensive than defensive. They should be better equipped to deal with threats here at home. Aircraft carriers that can steam around the world a million times without refueling isnt much help to people in North Dakota. The current millatary doesnt need its capabilities reduced, maybe expanded/enhanced and refocused on the homeland.
But then agiain, isnt that part of the NWO tool.
NSA is pobably bizzzzy decrypting my email.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by para

Originally posted by jrsdls

They are allowed to listen domestically for the FBI/whoever if provided with a warrant, aren't they?

It has to be done with the approval of the Attorney General, and can only be done for a 72 hour period. It takes an act of congress to get this approval, and it is very specific. the information is not keep, but given to the requested agency. it must be destroyed.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Keep in mind that the military uses the national guard for domestic defense as well as active duty. As for the NSA they technically cannot listen to US communications because of our so called civil rights. I do believe however that this is bypassed by the ECHELON system, which is a joint venture between the Brits and the US. They listen for us and we listen for them and then the intel is shared.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Okay, can someone give me a brief rundown of what the responsibilities for each of the Agencies in power:

1. CIA
2. FBI
3. NSA
4. DHS

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
J Rock, Hate to break it to you, but that does not happen. There are joint ventures with a host of other countries, we don't get information about America from them and we don't pass on information to them on their citizens. It's just not done.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
Okay, can someone give me a brief rundown of what the responsibilities for each of the Agencies in power:

1. CIA
2. FBI
3. NSA
4. DHS

thats my interpretation:

CIA = spying abroad, acting abroad.
FBI = economy crimes investigations and "big-crime" intelligence
NSA = economy intelligence abroad and national investigations, the ear and eyes dont sleep..if you know what I mean..
DHS = Terrorism investigations, spying out the U.S. citizens..

well, im not from the USA..thats only the empression Ive get from these Institutions

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
CIA - Human intelligence (Humint) overseas, nothing domestic
NSA - Signals intelligence (Sigint) overseas, nothing domestic
FBI - Crime investigations and counter intelligence Domestically
DHS - Terrorist investigations, counter intelligence domestically

Not to sure about DHS, but that's what I have been led to believe.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
i think all rules go out the window when it comes to these agencies. they don't grant these guys unfathomable secrecy and power just to tie their hands behind their backs with repressive rules.

ultimately, the illusion of rules just makes it easier for them to work among us without being suspected

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
to answer the post before:

1. CIA- Central Inteligence Agency - the "james bonds" of america, they are responsible for monitering forign militaries technology and offensive capabilites, also moniter and attack terrorists from time to time
2. FBI - Federal Bureau of Investigation - "national detectives" they simply investagate crimes commited against federal government and crimes that involve more than one state. In cold war days (and still today i think, might be DHS now) they were also responible for finding foriegn spies in federal government. (military has a thing called counter intelligence to find spies in our own military) They also moniter and do first strikes against people like the Michigan Militia, Ku Klux Klan, and Nation of Isalm.
3. NSA - National Security Agency - a byproduct of WWII, they are responsible for cracking forigen military codes, and keeping ours secret. Now a days they also protect government websites from hackers and try to keep an upper hand on them
4. DHS - Department of Homeland Security - simply the organisation that houses the NSA, CIA, FBI, and Coast Gaurd (basicly all civilian agenicies responsible for protect america itself), just as the Dept. of Defence houses the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor was right
i think all rules go out the window when it comes to these agencies. they don't grant these guys unfathomable secrecy and power just to tie their hands behind their backs with repressive rules.

ultimately, the illusion of rules just makes it easier for them to work among us without being suspected

I wish that was the case. It would make my job easier, but atlas, it's not. We have rules we have to follow. Believe it or not, it's can be hard to do our job with all the rules.

Back in the 50's and 60s, there were no rules, but all has changed. we are constrained by the lawyers and congress.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join