It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeon pioneers new technique to CHANGE the color of the iris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
It's been a while since I've posted on here, and I'm still confused with this new layout/where to search topics, but hopefully this hasn't been noted on here already;

ARTICLE

Dr Kenneth Rosenthal pioneered the artificial iris implant procedure
- Involves making a 2.8mm cut in cornea and inserting a silicone implant
- It takes 15 minutes per eye and is carried out under local anaesthetic
- Patients usually take between one and two months to make a full recovery
- The procedure is now being offered by clinics across the U.S.

Came across this news and at first thought it was really interesting, but then started to think this procedure hasn't been around that long, and considering how new it is my mind immediately thinks of how many mistakes and botch jobs would be done if it is already available at several clinics across the US.. I just find this whole thing very superficial and creepy.. I understand medical reasons, but what extent are people willing to go to alter their own appearance? Really?

I did read here though, that in 2011 a 17 year old boy ( Nathaniel Schull) used the procedure to treat a condition called congenital aniridia which left him partially blind since birth because he was born with the absence of irises. After treatment he had nearly perfect vision

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

The article is absurd to say this guy invented or pioneered this... This way less shocking than having a surgery to change your gender.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
A bit of a risk for a cosmetic thing...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Everything for beauty and good looks.. right. The funny thing is that these cosmetic surgeries makes us humans possily weaker as a race. What i mean is that before we started to use cosmetics and beauty products, humans picked their mate by the natural odors their partner produced... Sweat.. sweat contains feromones which either pleased or didn´t but were a important role in finding best possible partner to do babies with. They also say that females can smell the dna

Anyway we let these doctors to play with our future. We connect with the wrong mates and after all the plastic surgeries we even end up making ugly babies.. and what a surprice those can be to some who thought their partner has a beautiful appearance but ( artificial ) .. ( i know we always love our babies and they are the most beautiful babies ever )

So this is the world we live, we fool ourselves and everyone around us.. and it´s no wonder marriages do not hold..

Im a bit in sarcastic mode.. no pun intented

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I used to know a Yogi who could change his eye color in seconds by willing it
so I'm not really impressed.

many of these procedures are just cover for transhumanist experiments
how else are they going to create their "superior" artificial bodies without guinea pigs to experiment on?

that's the creepy vibe you're getting when you ask yourself "what's the point?"
and "why throw so much money on these experiments/investigations?"

a false immortality.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Lunette
A bit of a risk for a cosmetic thing...

I agree. Maybe this thing has more of a military value (disguise secret agents, for instance).

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

He must be a Boys from Brazil fan, this will undoubtedly sell as a cosmetic procedure but to me the colour of the iris is not that important, it is the whites of the eyes, when you are young and if healthy they have a blue white appearance but as you get older or ill they yellow.
Still it will take the irritation out for cosmetic contact wearers and offer new possibilitys to those whome want a new identity, how long before they can change the unique pattern of the blood vessels.
Anyway Gegory peck would be jealous.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Calling Dr. Mengele...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Metaphysique

Sure you did...

What Yogi was it?

Yogi Bear?

This is science here... not fantasy or science fiction. Please try to understand trans-humanism more than you think you do.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Ways to get around biometric ID tech are already being developed ahead of mass-scale implementation. What's next? Fake fingerprints? Oh wait...

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

What appears strange to me is that in the last few years in the medical world they have shot up the ladder in terms of what miracles they can perform. It seems like last week they new nothing to this week pulling a white hanky out of their pocket. placing it in the magicians black hat ... waving the magic wand and hey presto!!!!
Any advance in eye surgery must be a good thing, ...eye colour though? Next we will here of Parents wanting to change their child's eye colour. It does sound a creepy to me too, but I have seen people's eyes glow and you can't get anymore creepy than that!

God only knows what's going on ..

hx

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Like any partially cosmetic surgery, I believe that this surgery ought to have its availability restricted, so that only those people, like the fellow born with no irises, who have a MEDICAL complaint (as opposed to some dysmorphic syndrome which ought to be dealt with by therapy alone) can access it. No one NEEDS massive chests, perfectly sculpted buttcheeks, or a face which has had more body work corrections than a destruction derby vehicle, and no one, aside from persons with actual medical complaints, requires differently coloured irises.

That said, its impressive that this is possible these days, and of course a great boon to those few people who would actually have a medical requirement for its application.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I've always wanted chrome irides. This could be pretty awesome.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

Metaphysique

Sure you did...

What Yogi was it?

Yogi Bear?

This is science here... not fantasy or science fiction. Please try to understand trans-humanism more than you think you do.

did you somehow feel alluded to and take such offense that in your pain [and denial] you lash out by calling me a liar?

and I understand the sad, pointless, and false immortality of transhumanism, amongst other false promises,[bluetooth TP:ROFL] much better than you ever will, until it's too late that is,

as it is certainly not I who is fantasizing becoming a computer assisted undead zombie or a robot at any cost.

especially when absolutely none of the abilities or skills promised by TH are out of reach of a human being willing to exercise self discipline and follow a praxis/system of training and with no surgery/implants required.

no matter how many reductionists screeching denial.

"Despisers of the body, are not bridges to the Superman."

edit on 14-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: fixed bbcode

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

I did not "lash out". I'm just calling you a liar, yes. Just that.

Unless you can show me proof of that yogi that can change his eye color at will.

You see... this world doesnt work like "oh I'll say whatever I please and whatever, those who believe me are save, those who dont will perish or will die in ignorance"... no, this is how it works "I say something... if I cant back it up with proof, I better be quiet about it because people will be at least curious enough to require evidence - even the believers will want evidence to prove their beliefs are right so I better be damn sure what I'm talk about".

So... you have any kind of proof, evidence or you will pretty much answer me with words?

I swear if you come up with some real evidence I'll admit my ignorance and admit how wrong I was to call you out and I swear I WILL become a believer... just show me the real evidence behind your words, and of course after that you'll have my sincere apologies for calling you a liar about that eye-color changing yogi...
edit on 14-11-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

pffftt!

suuuurrre... I'm going to climb all the mountains between india and nepal searching for and trying to convince my friend that it is abso-f'ning imperative that he come here so he can perform for you like a monkey,

when it is waaaay easier to just slap the ignorance out of you with some quick googling.

Changes in Eye Color

The iris is a muscle that expands and contracts to control pupil size. The pupil enlarges in dimmer lighting and grows smaller in brighter lighting. The pupil also shrinks when you focus on near objects, such as a book you are reading.

When the pupil size changes, the pigments in the iris compress or spread apart, changing the eye color a bit.

Certain emotions can change both the pupil size and the iris color. That's why some people say their eyes change colors when they're angry or loving.

Eye color also can change with age. This happens in 10 to 15 percent of the Caucasian population (people who generally have lighter eye colors).

For instance, my once very brown eyes are now hazel, a combination of brown and green. However, some hazel eyes actually get darker with age.

Note that if your adult eye color changes pretty dramatically, or if one eye changes from brown to green or blue to brown (called heterochromia), it's important to see your eye doctor. Eye color changes can be a warning sign of certain diseases, such as Fuch's heterochromic iridocyclitis, Horner's syndrome or pigmentary glaucoma.

www.allaboutvision.com...

I'll leave the other factors that determine/control eye color to you as homework.

your real issue here is your fundamentalist disbelief in the human ability to control autonomic functions such as heartbeat, blood pressure and such, even the iris; by an effort of The Will,

basically anything that exposes TH as the most pathetic attempt to reinvent the wheel in human history.

and that will be all concerning the matter, as it is off topic.

never mind the fact that if you presume to accuse others of lying the burden of proof is on you.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
You can change your eyes to blue with Stroma (well it's in clinical trials at the moment). Should take about 20 seconds with a laser that burns the melatonin in the eye away. 20 seconds is heaps better than 2 months... Except the only colour is blue.

www.stromamedical.com...

Founded in 2009, Strōma Medical Corporation is a late-stage research and development company located in Laguna Beach, CA. Inventor/scientist Gregg Homer, JSD (PhD) developed and patented a non-invasive procedure to change eye color from brown to blue. It is our intent that the procedure will be performed in the doctor's office with only a topical anesthetic and will take less than 20 seconds to complete. The permanent eye color change will occur gradually over the following two to four weeks and our clinical studies are designed to confirm these results. The procedure is suitable for people of all races and nationalities.

The procedure is currently in clinical trials and not commercially available anywhere in the world. The release date is not yet known, but interested physicians, researchers, and consumers may sign up for periodic updates through Strōma Updates.

edit on 15-11-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join