It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner: No Conference on Senate Immigration Bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Speaker of the House John Boehner has decided NOT to have a conference committee for the U.S. Senate "Gang of 8" immigration reform bill.

This move apparently effectively kills the bill so to speak.

The *decision* comes with the approval of U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) (who was a big proponent of the Senate bill).

It sounds like Republicans who were (are) in favor received too much opposition.

Now what ?

What is the *opposition* all about anyway ?

House Speaker John Boehner said Wednesday that the House of Representatives will not go to a conference committee with the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” immigration bill. “We have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill,” Boehner said on Wednesday.

The remarks from the Speaker come several months after the Senate bill passed 68-32, with most Republicans including Senate Minority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) voting against it. Fourteen Republicans, including the four GOP members of the Senate’s Gang of Eight, voted for it.

Boehner’s promise against conference comes on the heels of Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), the leading GOP sponsor of the Senate bill, publicly opposing conference in a Breitbart News exclusive and after scores of conservatives publicly demanded there not be a conference committee. Rubio’s opposition to conference, an effective un-endorsement of his own bill, was significant and followed calls opposing conference from Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Mike Lee (R-UT) and Rand Paul (R-KY), as well as several influential House Republicans.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

xuenchen

Now what ?

What is the *opposition* all about anyway ?

"Republican consultants" are the "opposition"...at least before the Obamacare fiasco...they are probably "plants for Obama".

Now what?
JUST SAY NO to politically unfavorable demands...says Rush Limbaugh...who was right again (97% of the time)...better than our OP.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Good move on the part of the House as this bill was pointless.

Amnesty does not fix the problem.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

The GOP don't want to have a debate about immigration before the mid terms or before 2016. It's an issue they CANNOT get a hold of, because they've lost the immigration vote.

Hispanics vote democrat and so the vast majority of other immigrants who come to the US. So Boehner is just playing political football.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I dunno give them some time to be creative and fair I suppose.
The last thing you want is everybody getting upset and the result is another "shutdown."

Some of the key things in mind about the border are:
removing a plant from controlled substances act and southern states taking partial legalization measures for those 21 and over- this will likely help in several areas:
* Should serve to reduce violence on the border while simultaneously reducing the importation of certain drugs and should focus more resources toward stopping the flow of more lethal and harmful drugs.
* Should serve to reduce prison population and "human warehousing" in the US
* Should reduce any existing tensions and worries between citizens and police forces and possibly save lives due to a reduced number of home raids and confrontations.
*Moves burn containers to checkpoints and other locations with heavy drug traffic
Creates a more catch a release type action- you get caught you get turned back
*takes a more humanized approach to border enforcement

*Fund the existing border patrol and ice agents
*Places additional agents at "weak points" on the border.
*Channels and encourages more people to use existing entry and exit points
*Prevents land ownership by immigrants in the US for a period of not less than 10 years *similar to Mexico*
*Respects civil and human rights of foreign citizens under US jurisdiction- includes food, water and some medical supplies for those crossing arrid areas
*Restricts the use of drones to a 100 mile radius on the border
*Grants and recognizes citizenship for those with no criminal histories, proven work history in the agriculture sector for ten years and children BORN here.
*Deports any immigrant with a violent criminal history
*Establishes a limit to the number of immigrants the US will accept yearly
Creates a triple purpose card:
*Card serves as an immigrant ID/debit and limits the number of dollars sent to Mexico
* Promotes saving money for housing, bills and spending money here in the US in local stores and goods, as well as establishes an option for a childs trust fund for college
* establishes at least an equal minimum wage and minimum age for immigrant workers
* establishes a fair hiring practice for us citizens who want to try their hand at "workin on the farm"
* Gets more US citizens into our agricultural sector including farm ownership, urban farming and agribusiness along with tax credits and start up grants for mechanical and equipment assistance.

Wait some of that can go into the ag bills huh?
Now I'm never for much "pork" :/ but I really do think we need some sort of large water harvesting and water purification method for southern states. Seems like they need water the most. Maybe its a bit extreme but a huge aquaduct could do people good. Create jobs, fill water shortages, transport water to watersheds and such.. possibly create higher vantage points for agents O.o
We know gates and fences don't work too well.

Dunno, does that sound fair to everyone?

edit on 13-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well I guess its time that we do something about all the Politian's in DC, Vote for the underdog, if they are part of this mess lets get them out of DC in the next few years, so we can start fresh.

MY Plan is to vote for the new guy, not the guy that is already there ruining this country, party don't make a difference any more they are all crooks and forgot who sent them their, so lets get them out.

Here we are still talking about immigration, why are we not trying to work on the federal deficit, or are we going to wait till the last minute again.

FIRE THEM ALL

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Borders and walls served dictators, communists, and nazis well. For a time.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

And without borders, you get people without health or background checks like gang members, murderers, pedophiles, thieves and whoever else that doesn't care about laws. We'll send them to your house.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I don't know what country you live in or gated community, but THEY are already here!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Just think of how many less we would have if our immigration laws had been enforced. There are too many stories of people losing their lives because of illegals who have had previous arrests and deportations. These are tragedies that could have been prevented.

edit on 14-11-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I am just sayin there is a better way, other than old tired expensive ideas. We already build technological walls and borders around american citizens that remove their freedoms. Such as, credit ratings for jobs, borrowing, renting, etc., that will lock you out. There is E-verify that will lock you out of a job if your soc sec number does not match. That covers the job market they come here for, mostly. Then, there is the black market of drugs and guns. We have those laws and that is where enforcement needs to be ratcheted up and drugs legalized and regulated. If they come back after being deported, send them to prison for the rest of their lives where they can get the three meals a day they want. They may decide to stay home.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Why do you think crossing the border is worthy of a life sentence?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Scare tactics for future generations. Permanent legal status with life in prison. That is an acceptable amnesty.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Credit ratings are done by private companies; they are not affiliated with the government in any way.

One has to be careful not to blame everything that goes on in the country on the President and Congress (although Boehner's faction are certainly obstructing some excellent measures.)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I don't blame the President or Congress. I blame we the people for the past 40 years of apathy. The 2 percenters in Washington do not want solutions that work because it might offend the money donor class. We the people need to present our own solutions and remind the two percenters where their bread is buttered.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Yeaaaa I dont think Id approve of that happening down here in Tx. Waay too harsh and costly even. Now if other states did that then let it rest on their heads. Theres a bit unique history down here though.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

MOMof3

Idealistic, utopian, fairy tale nonsense. Exactly how many countries in the world can you just lollygag over the border and set up house and home, get on government assistance all with the aid of that country's federal government against that country's rule of law?

Look it up, I'll be waiting............

Immigration laws are on the books for a reason, many of those reasons are complicated and far reaching and can't just be scrapped based on humanitarian concerns because your fragile heart strings were pulled on.

I appreciate the fact that you mentioned "dictators" because that is exactly what Obama is proving himself to be emulating, we are talking about a president who refuses to follow federal law and enforce immigration laws which is not within his lawful authority to do. The executive branch is there to uphold law, not selectively enforce it and not create it. We actually have an executive branch of federal law enforcement with a lawsuit against the Obama administration because it will not allow them to enforce the law, the ones they are collecting American tax dollars to enforce.

You don't like immigration laws? Lobby to have them changed, legally and I wish you all the best, truly but please acknowledge and understand the facts of the matter which are that it is a lot harder to change these laws that are in place while still benefitting tax paying American citizens and not causing hardships to millions of legal citizens than it is to just say, let them all in because it's the "right" thing to do.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Old ideas die hard. What is wrong with Utopia?

Immigration was a problem long before Obama, even before I was born.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall". Once an old wise man said cause he did not like walls either. He knew it was a waste money.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

MOMof3
reply to post by Helious

Old ideas die hard. What is wrong with Utopia?

Immigration was a problem long before Obama, even before I was born.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall". Once an old wise man said cause he did not like walls either. He knew it was a waste money.

What is wrong with Utopia is that it gets in the way of common sense progress because while we may wish for a better world, it's not here, human nature is not one of a live and let live mentality at current and furthermore, society won't let the individual attain it.

Utopian dreams, rainbows and smiles won't help you feed your family at the end of the day, a job will. Have your researched how many entry level and minimum wage jobs would be lost on American citizens should the liberal agenda of "immigration reform" be past?

The AG of the United States is currently in criminal and civil contempt of congress. Obamacare is one of the most destructive and spectacular failures our nation has seen and an administration and executive branch rotten to the core with proven crimes the likes of Fast and Furious, Benghazi, NSA spying, Iraq, Syria, the IRS scandal, do you HONESTLY feel comfortable with this federal government enacting large scale "immigration reform"? If your answer is yes, I'm not sure what to say.

A billion dollars and three years to create a website, that's broken. These are the people in charge of our healthcare and you want them to now roll out large scale changes with immigration and what, you think thats gonna go real smooth?

Thats the problem with Utopia, it's unrealistic and unproductive to rational thought.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

MOMof3

There's a difference between putting borders and walls up and just letting people freely walk into a country and demand equal rights, free health care, free food and free money for their entire family that hasn't work a day to support America, or paid a single tax dollar.

I ask you this. Would it be OK for me to walk through your front door, being a total stranger, go into your fridge, eat all your food and take some of your money? Would you be OK with that? There's a process to get into this country, which everyone has the right to pursue. I don't think you fully understand the ramifications of what you are suggesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join