It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake Java Update Malware

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, no luck finding anything unusual in my directories or the registry.

It doesn't look like anything has actually planted itself in my computer, at least not that I can find. I downloaded a couple of other malware/adware/spyware programs and scanned my computer again. But according to all of these programs, everything is squeaky clean.

I've done some more digging around about this thing and it looks like its a "browser hijacker" according to other people on the net.

So, I guess I'm going to have to uninstall and delete all browser directories and reinstall Mozilla from scratch.

Dammit.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Malwarebytes has a separate tool to detect rootkits. So does Spyhunter and I am sure others. Rootkit virus might not be detected by normal Anti Virus programs.
Another option may be to restore Windows to a previous point in time, such a 2 weeks ago, before your computer was stricken. This option is available with f8 as Windows boots.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I forgot about this. Give it a go before uninstalling, it's a great app.

Hijack This!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ecapsretuo

Malwarebytes has a separate tool to detect rootkits.

Yup, I've done that and nothing was detected unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Heh... familiar with that one too.

Here's the apps that I've scanned my system with:

AVG anti-virus
Spybot Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes
CClean
Hijack This
Advanced System Care 6

I think what I'm going to do is find a good registry cleaning software and try that first before I go through with reinstalling Mozilla.

This browser hijacker HAS to be hidden somewhere in the registry that I didn't spot. So a good cleaning of the registry might finally get rid of this damn thing.

I'm also going to add "No Script" and "Ad Block Plus" to my FF.... these malware/adware programs are getting too damn advanced.

I'll be back and let you guys know how it went sometime today or tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks !

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

the only other thing that I can think of is typing msconfig in the start menu and see if there are any strange programs running then turn off.
Its most likely that you have tried this but if not..........

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Aha !

I think I may have beat this thing.

I decided to run a registry clean with CClean first before hunting around for a different registry cleaning program and it looks like I've had success !

But even as I read through the long list of garbage sitting in my registry, I still didn't notice anything that might be related to this "java update" malware. Needless to say, I cleaned out everything anyways, rebooted, and then came back to ATS, sat on the intro page for a few minutes to see if my browser was going to get redirected before logging in and TADA.... no problems !

Weeeeee !

I'm a happy camper !

And I didn't have to uninstall/reinstall anything.

So just to recap for anyone who runs into the same problem as me:

- Run full, deep scans with your anti-virus program and at least two or three other malware apps.
- Check your Internet Settings in Control Panel to make sure nothing got changed there.
- Check your browser/java/flash directories for any malicious program installs.
- Check your browser add-ons/extensions lists for any unknown malicious app installs.
- Completely clean out all browser history/cookies/cache/temp files.
- Clean out your registry with a safe registry cleaner program (I used CClean).
- Reboot

And then sit back and relish in your success at beating yet another snot-nosed kid trying to screw with your computer/internet surfing experience !

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Funny how this stated to appear for me today.. but only on this site. page 3 of the obama selfie at funeral post. My computer is clean. I am certain it originates here at ats in one of the ads. It appeared for me back in November in a thread I was reading then. I was paranoid and did a full cleanup of my pc... havent seen it since... then taa daa... there it is again... and look what site im on.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join