It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legitimate Charities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I want to donate to charities where the majority of funds, services, healthcare and donations make there way to the actual people who need it. Supposedly only 5-10% of the donations of the more well know charities actually make it to the people who need it so I was hoping some of you could help me find some legitimate charities where most of my hard earned donations would actually go to help, I am a bit bitter after doing research the last couple of years but would still like to donate and have my children donate as well.
Thank you in advance!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

World Vision is a good one.
I support them. Also the Salvos in AU because they do such a lot to help People.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The Make A Wish Foundation was a good one some years back. Can't tell you their policies haven't changed. One of the best things I found about them is they don't send reminders ... Just a message of sincere appreciation. YMMV

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Just what I do:

Instead of sending money away somewhere, got to a store and buy small flashlights, wool caps and socks. Go downtown and find some homeless looking types and hand the stuff out. They will be real grateful. Most of them are cold, have itchy feet and stumble about in the dark.

If you want to hand out food, buy those microwavable cup of soups, hot chocolate packs and granola bars. Anything singly wrapped. All homeless have a favorite 7-11 nearby that has water and a microwave. Makes a warm spot in the stomach before bed.

You are giving them needful things not money, so you can feel better that you directly helped someone and they are a little more comfortable tonight. You aren't curing anything just making it a little easier to get thru the day.

Some Other items:
Chap stick
small bottles of soap or lotion
Hand sanitizers
Ponchos
Small candles
Bic lighters
Water bottles
AA batteries
Blue tarps
plastic garbage sacks
your recyclable cans and plastic bottles
cans of beans or chili, soups
unused used camping gear like sleeping bags
plastic forks, spoons and napkin packs
toilet paper (single ply)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

You could search using Charity Navigator. They're kind of a Consumer Reports for charitable organizations:

Charity Navigator

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I tend to ignore any 'big' international charity and donate either directly to local small ones, or directly to people as the poster above me suggested.

It's staggering how much money some of the bigger charities sit on.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
American Cancer Society

They take only a small percentage of donations to pay for staff and other costs which is I think 5%. I volunteered for them a few times and that was one of the things that amazed me. Most of the money goes to research or paying for a patients treatments, as well as other stuff.

Don't ever donate to Red Cross, they use donation money on the most absurd things. And never PETA, they suck at life.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

intrptr

Just what I do:

Instead of sending money away somewhere, got to a store and buy small flashlights, wool caps and socks. Go downtown and find some homeless looking types and hand the stuff out. They will be real grateful. Most of them are cold, have itchy feet and stumble about in the dark.

If you want to hand out food, buy those microwavable cup of soups, hot chocolate packs and granola bars. Anything singly wrapped. All homeless have a favorite 7-11 nearby that has water and a microwave. Makes a warm spot in the stomach before bed.

You are giving them needful things not money, so you can feel better that you directly helped someone and they are a little more comfortable tonight. You aren't curing anything just making it a little easier to get thru the day.

Some Other items:
Chap stick
small bottles of soap or lotion
Hand sanitizers
Ponchos
Small candles
Bic lighters
Water bottles
AA batteries
Blue tarps
plastic garbage sacks
your recyclable cans and plastic bottles