It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your cellular device's "hidden OS" and why you should be very concerned

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Its happening to your Notebook PC's too...

You can't alter installed OS software...

Next will be desktops.

When they do that, and force everyone to the cloud. I'll be done with technology.

I'm going back to books and the basics...

There will be no ownership over a persons own content. Permanently destroying independent innovation that doesn't have corporate blessing.

Each Corporation will have its own cloud. Users will merely be renting their own data. Sad times coming...

Look what Adobe recently did with its Creative Suite, that is used in everything...

So for now on, you will never own an Adobe product. You will be merely renting them...

The price of Data storage should be heading down, instead it shot up.

What is up with all the Refurbished Hard Drives and the Failure Rates of New ones??

I'm not trying to thread drift, it is all related....

I dropped a common brand jump drive 36 inches from a counter to an acrylic tile floor. It died.

These Android smartphones seem to have short life spans too!

Components planned to fail!!

edit on 13-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions, format and typos

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I think it took the guy at MIT 25 minutes to break into the unbreakable speed swipe, RFID chip.

One other thing the this junk is for the most part coming out of China, if any of you missed the " Gutter oil story " at the end the China man narrator, said all these are out to screw the other.
They know they are putting back doors in our computers, phone's, Philadelphia Cream cheese comes with RFID tracking chips, they taste great with just just the right amount of cheese.

Those people in China are money crazy now.

Yea and the way a lot of people are now if it breaks, they go buy a new one, like a clothes dryer now just about all of them will break down in 3 years, over a 20 dollar part. The same part that 25 years ago would last 20 years or more. But we are consumers, we must consume.
edit on 13-11-2013 by OOOOOO because: l

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Fylgje
I believe "they" can track you by your phone. I believe that "they" can listen, and even watch you through your phone. That's exactly why I only use Trac-Phones. Yes, it's ancient-looking, and yes, people might LOL at it, but I never really cared about what people thought anyways. I'm not one of those people who have a cell phone on at all times. In fact, I only carry one if I'm gonna be out in the wild or something. Occasionally, I will take it with me to the store, but I generally ask my wife if there's anything she needs, then she better tell me before I leave or it's just tough titty. I refuse to be one of those people walking around looking at their damn phone. I won't do it. If I need to go on the interwebz then it'll have to wait 'til I get home. I am very concerned at hidden code in phones, or being watched, or listened to through any device. I know TPTB are very paranoid because a lot of people are talking about them. Hell, My senator(Rockefeller) was talking about banning the internet. They're scared, and they have every right to be because people are on to them. They're trying to 'see it coming', but so rarely is anyone afforded that luxury.

Well track you of course they can thats why when you make a 911 call they can find your location its called TDOA.This has one feature most people arent aware of a 911 operator can call your phoneback without it ringing neat if you have a bad guy and the police dont want them to know.
however to put your mind at ease you would see the call was made if you happen to look at your phone. As far as listen well yeah they dont have to hack your phone at all they can get access through your carrier in case of national emergency. As far as see through your phone thats tricky they have to get access to it first and hide a program.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

dragonridr

Thecakeisalie
You'd be surprised how much can be stored on your phone without your knowledge.

If you have a modern android device, all you have to do is go to settings-about phone/device-android version. Tap android version multiple times and you'll get an easter egg. Mine is an image of a zombie gingerbread man.

And if the programmers are capable of this, then who knows how many more secrets are buried deep within the coding.

Wow time for you to update your OS on your phone gingerbread is like 3 yrs old update to jelly bean.This was sent out to all android devices through there carriers.Its faster and security is better as well.The latest is Kit kat and that only available on one device so far still in beta testing if you will.

you wanted to say 'to all android devices that were destined to get the update by their manufacturers', because it's the manufacturer that has to prepare the update, not google. and if you would do ANY research, you would know that actually devices often get little to no support, just to force people into buying new ones. many phones got android 4.0 (ics) and nothing more, and even that update was often screwed up (2.3 so gingerbread worked far better on those), and the amount of phones that got 4.1 and up (jelly bean) update isn't really that big at all. what's worse, google is playing a trickery game with version numbers and their naming - there were 2 api levels for gingergread devices (2.3.x), 2 api levels for ics devices (4.0.x) and 3 api levels for jb devices (4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 - all called jelly bean, to lower the perceived market fragmentation).

as far as the topic goes, i wouldn't worry about the possibility to exploit low-level baseband code, hardly anyone has the knowledge to do that, and if the government wants to use your phone to spy on you, you can bet they already have their backdoors in the regular OS of your device - even in case of android devices. while the OS itself is marketed as opensourced, every single manufacturer adds their own extensions that aren't opensourced at all, and even google itself has created a bunch of closed source apps mandatory to most android users, while in reality none of those apps are a part of 'core' android OS, and aren't covered by its license.

besides, it is far easier to exploit bugs and find backdoors in regular OS running on a phone, and the more documented it is, the easier it is to find bugs in things like bluetooth stack. for example, you need nothing more than a pc (or smartphone) with bluetooth to hack into any nokia 6310/6310i (assuming the software wasn't updated - it usually wasn't) - those were running additional bluetooth service on a separate rfcomm channel. all that was needed was that the target had bluetooth enabled - and you could just connect to it. the target would display a small status icon on the display indicating wireless headset connected, but no pairing nor user confirmation was needed - and you got full AT command terminal, with full access to calling/sms messages and phonebook. they've said it was a bug, but considering the fact that NO user interaction at all was needed on the target, it was clearly a backdoor - you could steal phone numbers, read the messages and even make calls, effectively turning targetted phone into a spying device.

and if you think that bluetooth has a range of only 10m, think again - i've tested that vulnerability years ago with a usb bluetooth dongle as cheap as $5, and it had a range of 100m - and that's not even close to the limit.

hight3ch.com...
edit on 13-11-2013 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

I don't see what the big deal is about unlocking and jail-breaking. Unlocking a phone allows you to use that phone with any carrier that supports it. Jail-breaking you regain root privileges. Of course doing this will void warranty. However, some carriers could care less t-mobile after you bought and payed for or ended your contract in good standing will hand you over the unlock codes free. I can throw any SIM chip I want in them. That's the way it should be when you bought the damn thing, either that or I scrap it for gold. HTC branded Android devices approve of rooting, hell they will even help you do it. I feel if you have the knowledge and expertise and know the risks involved to do it then more power to ya. Funny they all base their OS's off of UNIX open source then they try to regulate it because they added a bit more code and branding logo.
edit on 13-11-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sean

When you get your smart phone from a carrier, they subsidize the price. I certainly didn't pay $500 for my iPhone -- I think I paid $199.

Because of this, you really haven't paid off the phone fully until your contract is up. Until then, you are essentially paying off the phone -- and it still sort of belongs to the carrier.

That's how I understand it works...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I wonder if tracking people is the reason why the government started giving out all those free obamaphones?
How could you track all those poor people who can`t afford cell phones? easy! give them all free phones

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

OOOOOO

8675309jenny
Also have you noticed that nearly all the newest smartphones do not have removable batteries? When mine goes all glitchy I can't just remove the battery and hold the power button like I did on my last 4 phones....

It made me wonder if it turns off a little early and could use reserve battery to track me in a "national security" situation. Hmmmm

You know the cell phones have more than one battery, right

Why is my computer still running and it's turned off....?

Unless you own a Mac you could have up to three back doors on your computer, I'm not sure about Mac.

I've taken apart just about every phone I've owned except my latest and I can tell you for sure there is no onboard battery in the Androids I've taken apart. Nothing like a CMOS battery. Backup power can still be achieved with capacitors, but that's why I mentioned removing the battery and holding the power button down in order to discharge the capacitors.

Also, to me computer 'turned off' means actually turned off by the I/O switch on the power supply, not standby mode.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

That part is untrue... Every single baseband update for apple/android/windows/blackberry have been jail broken and unlocked allowing you to not just jailbreak the OS (iOS/android/etc) but unlock the baseband allowing you to now use any carrier you wish.

Removing baseband or carrier locks is part of the OS - RtOS API.

The phone RTOSes are very highly classified secrets, hard coded on low level languages and available only as binaries, and can only be disassembled against a specific chip/controller/SoC.

NO, none of them have been hacked in any of the usual suspect forums/places, but all intelligence agencies are using them or would like to.

Back when Nokia was the top of the world and they _OWNED_ and designed (and manufactured!) their own radio chips, they used to do the following at the company board and executive board meetings:

1. Everybody would take out their phone on the table, so others could see them.
2. Everybody would turn it OFF
3. Everybody would remove the SIM card AND the battery and place them on the table

... Now the meeting could begin.

You think they knew something that the average Joe does not know (and these guys used to design-build-manufacture their own chips and baseband radios).

Gone are those days.

Now it's all off-the-shelf stuff from a few suppliers in the world. Crack them and you crack the world.

One can turn on the RToS and (on some models) activate cellular tower triangulation i.e. locating and microphone listening & data sending EVEN when the phone is turned off (i.e. the main OS is off and the phone is in deep sleep, but the RTOS is still running).

There have been demonstrations about these.

Those in the know know where to look....

edit on 14-11-2013 by Pathaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This is common knowledge no idea why this is in the gray area? I guess I don't know my forums. By common I mean any phreaker / phone tech already knew about this. Id love to own a base station but I've never wanted to pay for one. The FBI has them though.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Im to the point where i believe the government is trying to catch me masterbating.....

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer
reply to post by theantediluvian

Im to the point where i believe the government is trying to catch me masturbating.....

Caught I think you will find..

And numerous times I hear and just who is Uncle Freddy

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hidden operating system? Isn't that called firmware?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

This is nothing. Many chips on the phone board have way more memory and processing power than the whole system they used to get Appolo on the moon. I'm not talking about your SD storage, but sound chips, gpu, ram. All these can be used to store data with the proper proprietary tools hackers can get their hands on. Some of these chips require so little voltage that your battery can keep it powered at all times, even when your device is "off". Kind of like the clock that will stay in sync even when your phone is off / not connected to a network. It wouldn't be surprising with current tech and state of affairs that your phone is keeping tab on you, even when off. Basically, if you haven't programmed & build yourself the electronics your using, you have no idea what they're really capable of.

Same goes for computers / closed operating systems.

We live in a crazy world people, technology / social media is a bait. Power to the people they say, people bite.

What we know IS only the TIP of the iceberg.
edit on 14-11-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-11-2013 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure my phone is so old it uses vacuum tubes! It doesn't even know what an OS is. Good luck getting it's processor to do anything more than push sound.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
reply to post by sean

When you get your smart phone from a carrier, they subsidize the price. I certainly didn't pay $500 for my iPhone -- I think I paid $199.

Because of this, you really haven't paid off the phone fully until your contract is up. Until then, you are essentially paying off the phone -- and it still sort of belongs to the carrier.

That's how I understand it works...

I paid 199 for my older iPhone, cancelled the contract due to a change in the TOS I didn't like. They didn't ask for the phone back, not that I'd give it back without my original 199$ refunded, but I also didn't have to pay an ETF.

This didn't all come without reading the TOS to find out what AT&Ts responsibilities were to me.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Rychwebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

Ok, I know nothing about these phones. But I did what you said and I got a jellybean with a face. Kind of creepy.

I figured, from being on here, that the government can track you through your phone, but I guess I'm not really grasping what else you guru's are talking about. *Sigh*
I need one of you living next door.

You did it right, you just have a different OS then he does. Mine comes up as a jellybean as the OS is called Jellybean.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
As I have lots of knowledge on Android, just to clear up some confusion, I have this to say:

Constantly clicking on the Android Version on a phone brings up a Easter Egg. The Easter Egg is put, by Google, on every release of Android. On 2.3.x, it's a zombie gingerbread picture, on 4.0.x is the Nyan Cat but with Android instead of the actual cat, and on 4.1-4.3 it's a jellybean with a face, and on 4.4 it's a big K which pressing even more brings up the word "Android" in a style similar to the KitKat logo.

On 4.2.x +, clicking on Build number also brings up Developer Options.

All I have left to say is -- nothing sinister here, but sure, I guess you can say "it's secret, I've never seen it before, there must be more stuff they're hiding from us!!! Conspiracy time!" (Not saying there's no such thing as a hidden OS in your phone, just saying that because you havent seen it doesn't mean it's spy-related"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join