It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do most people I meet seem completly disconnected?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

Ok, so does knowing the finer points of who is or is not dating whom in the celebrity world make you a more or less informed and aware person than the one who takes the time to know at least the surface particulars about who the movers and shakers are in his government and what actions they are debating and how they may or may not affect his life?

Which one is more likely to be more useful in the long run or open up a better door to understanding why things work the way they do?

edit on 13-11-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Are the two mutually exclusive? Does one have to choose to know only about what dress a celebrity wore to an awards show or to know only about the latest developments in Syria? Can't one be informed in both the important and the trivial? More importantly, can't one be informed on the important issues of the day but have absolutely no desire to carry on discussion about them?

Look, I know that some people have no idea what is going on in the world. In my office there is a woman who watches absolutely no news whatsoever. That isn't going to change, so what good would it do for me to get all worked up over it? Further, it has no effect on my life that this woman does not watch or read any news, nor is she beneath me because of it.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I think you're right.

But I think both can be right somewhat too. Can't a person have a family and have a job and also know about ISON or know what the national debt is?

I agree with the posters who say the OP is focusing on what he/she thinks is important and using that as a measuring stick to judge other.

You know those TV shows where they ask questions about the world and history and everyday sorts of things relevant to the everyday american? I am terrible at those!!! I FAIL. And yet I love to read about the latest technology innovations and also enjoy the sciency magazines like Discover. I judge others based on whether they can talk about the cosmos or AI or entertain those sorts of things. Oddly, my knowledge about the science is weak and yet I love the topic. Overall, my head is in hte clouds.
edit on 13-11-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Does she vote? Do you vote?

If so, her completely ignorant vote cancels out your informed one.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

usernameconspiracy
reply to post by TrueBrit

So, who says they aren't? Maybe they're not focusing on the things YOU think are important, or things the OP thinks are important (like a comet) but who says they are not focused on many other things? Some are not, that's certain. But to make it sound like "people who are not concerning themselves with the things I find of importance in the world are mentally lazy" is just the normal superiority complex that many around here seem to carry, for no apparent reason, and it's crapola.

Let me put it this way, anyone who is so over concerned with their own hobbies, lifestyle, difficulties and needs, that they cannot interact with the TOTALITY of the human experience, is wasting their own potential, and that is unforgiveable.

The OP is very clear in his intent. If you think different than the OP, you are "completely disconnected" which is a nice way of saying "ignorant" when most of what the OP is using as examples is simple political opinion. Well, except for the comet that will swing by and then be gone (if it even survives it's swing around the sun)and somehow some people's lack of knowledge of ison is evidence of some form of idiocy. It's "I'm superior and I need to let everyone know it" garbage.

It is not ignorance of ISON alone, but ignorance of that which happens outside the narrow confines of a persons life, which makes me spit nails.

Unless you are walking in their shoes, living their life, you really have absolutely no idea what any other person on this planet knows, is interested in, or has a passion for, in life. Having an interest in politics, conspiracy theories, science, technology, or the arts does not make any one person superior to others; it just makes that one person who that person is.

Having an all consuming interest in ONE thing to the exclusion of all else is not intelligent, nor a pursuit of anyone who is using all their faculties to any significant degree. Even Richard Feynman was not merely a physicist, but also a keen bongo player. The people that aggravate me, are those who lack even the merest interest in ANY pursuit of the mind, prefering to entertain themselves by rotting their minds with garbage television, learning as little as possible, wearing their disregard for anything more awesome than the latest utterly irrelevant bit of televisual and media trivia, like some sort of badge of office.

For example, I have a few friends who are really into guns, ammo, and shooting. I am not. Does this make them better than more or me better than them? Obviously not. I love researching American history. To many people that is pretty boring. Does that make me better than them? Hell, no. Does it make them "mentally lazy'"? No, it does not.

Does me wasting an hour or so every few days for kicks on ATS make me better than anyone else in life? No. Does it make you any better? No.

I think its unrealistic to think like that. Having zero interests outside of the shallow bullcrap that happens in the everyday DOES make a person a halfwit. Its that simple. A person ought to be able to understand the barest scientific concepts that relate to their existence, and a failure to recognise the way these things may affect ones life ,as important and worthy of attention IS a massive idiocy.

And for you to suggest that you "waste" your time here says to me that you do not value your own wit enough to value that which nourishes it. I can assure you, as ridiculous as some threads on this site can get, it is also a fantastic resource for those whose lives require too much of their time to allow them access to science and technology news, amongst other things.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's not just that they aren't informed on any of the topics stated in the OP (ISON, grid shut down). It's beyond that.

When's the last time you've been the to grocery store? When I pull my car into the parking lot I am amazed at how un-aware people are. I see people walking right out in front of cars, people pushing carts INTO traffic.

When you go inside the store, people cut you off or stand right in the middle of the isle talking to their children.

When I'm waiting for the self-scan, people will walk up and cut me off in line without batting an eye.

People allow their little hell-spawn to run amok, unsupervised. I can't tell you how many kids have run into me, nearly making me drop whatever I'm carrying. When I was a child, if you were unattended the store staff would take you to customer service and make an announcement over the PA.

People are so self-absorbed and unaware of their surroundings! It's maddening. I say this to myself every time I go out in public and watch people aimlessly walk around, completely oblivious to their surroundings:

"I know that I'm not the smarted man in the world, buy my god to I feel like it right now".

People today act as if they are the only living human being on planet Earth, and that the entire universe revolves around them. The self-centered, selfish, catatonic behavior I am seeing from random people has grown tremendously over the last decade.

The last time someone cut in front of me in line, I coughed and said, "So I guess there really isn't a line?" I got the nastiest stare, and the lady continued to cut me off anyway.

About a year ago a woman and her child were using the self-check out. The lady and child left before grabbing their change. I noticed there was a $20 bill left behind, so I grabbed it and ran after her yelling, "Ma'am! Ma'am, your change". She nearly punched me as she turned around. Once she realized I had her change she mumbled "thank you".

Going back to the self-scan people stared blankly at me like I was some kind of weirdo for doing the right thing. No one cares about anyone else anymore. It's sad, it's depressing and it makes me not want to care about anyone else anymore as well.

I really am starting to hate other human beings.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
No one cares about anyone else anymore. It's sad, it's depressing and it makes me not want to care about anyone else anymore as well.

I really am starting to hate other human beings.

Thats intentional. To create a divide among those who are aware of their surroundings and those that are not. The overarcing plan is to make people desensitized and stop paying attention on *every* level (not the shallow premise that many suggest). As that is accomplished, those that are aware stop caring about those who are not. Beyond that, they start to innately view them as "lower life forms."

Its to control the two opposing sides of the intentional apathy that is being instilled into society. Those that question that paradigm are the fringe and are not relevant.

Once it is a bit more deeply embedded, then all of the behavior we are seeing in government will seem like childs play. Most people wont even be aware of it (i.e. "the majority") and those that are paying attention ("the minority") will despise them for it.

The fringe who can see past the whole game are not numerous enough to matter. We are being played.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Now that's something I can completely get behind. If I'm going to judge others, it will be from their actions in matters of common courtesy rather than what I perceive their level of knowledge in current events to be.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yes, but being aware of others around you is also part of being engaged in your larger world on multiple levels. You need to be aware of and engaged with people around you and aware of how they're connected to you and how you all connect to the larger society and then that prompts a larger interest in how it all related to the larger world.

It's all dead in people.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here's another example. Getting off the elevator. Why do people stand 6" in front of an elevator door as it's opening, and insist on barging on while I am trying to get off? What happened to waiting off to the side to make sure those on the elevator had room/time to get off?

I've been noticing this trend has exponentially increased as of late. I can't get off an elevator without being run down by someone. Every. Single. Time.

No one holds doors for anyone anymore, and if you do it for someone else don't expect a "thanks!". More often than not, you'll get a odd look.

People are now suspicious of people doing "the right thing" or using this amazing set of skills called "manners". [sarcasm] Wow, if I hold the door open because you're carrying a pizza box -- I must have some kind of motive. Yes, I want to steal your pizza, that is why I am being nice to you! [/sarcasm]

Where I was raised and live it's OK to smile and nod at someone walking downtown on the sidewalk. I almost got shot in Boston acting what I thought was "normal". People think you are up to something if you show the slightest bit of politeness.

People really are turning into jaded, cold-hearted zombies. It's almost like someone flipped a switch and turned off their brains. Not only are they rude, but they don't even CARE that they're rude. They act as if it is odd to NOT be rude.

We're seeing all kinds of divides happening right now in the social strata. The rich vs. the poor. The left vs. the right, the polite vs. the not polite, and the aware and the "not aware". I'm noticing a frightening polarization happening without any kind of end in sight.

People are behaving more and more like machines, and our machines are behaving more and more like humans. Is this the future we want to inherit to our kids? Is this the kind of world we want to grow old in?

I am not a robot!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hand held technology is a major contributor,got on a bus recently they are all playing with their handhelds,nobody talks to anybody anymore and there is absolutely no situational awareness anymore people now get shot on public transport and no one notices because they are all playing with their toys.

Mainstream media has also dumbed down people the only network I've ever seen that covers real issues is Russia Today but you have to have cable to see it.

Someone mentioned the zombies at shopping centres walking in front of cars etc,its true most people these days the lights are on but no one is home.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think most people are just plugged into other things! There's a lot things happening all over, all the time, in an instant... It's mass A.D.D. Brain overload! It's like they are standing in front of 100 TV's at one time, with different channels playing. Eventually they just plug in or focus onto one TV channel, and block everything else out, regardless of what's playing on that channel... It becomes their life and they get secure in it! Even if you get them to look at another channel, they eventually go back to the one that makes sense to them. And if your not watching the same channel, on the same TV, then there's nothing you can connect with... Back in the day, there wasn't a lot things being thrown at people constantly and instantly... so most people were able to stay on the same page/channel and stay connected...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

teslahowitzer
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Someone give Abe a lude.....I never said anyone was anything, and I never said I saw it either, What I said was what a difference a couple of decades makes.....this is me ignoring the rest of your posts..........................................

You don't like what you hear so you just ignore it?! It says a lot in regards to your post. "People just don't know what I know" and when they say, we do but we don't care or even if they don't; you fortify your cocoon of "knowledge".

Sorry but people thinking differently than you and some, might even think the same. Just because you have interest in a subject and others do not, does not make them sheep, asleep, unknowing, ignorant, etc....that is all in your mind.

Good luck....

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

I notice this when I look at magazine racks - there are either very few science or astronomy magazines carried or none at all, or if they are stocked they are on the bottom in back, much less prominent than the Fashion magazines, the hunting (snuff) magazines, publications about race cars, make-up, weddings, etc. Nothing to mention the stupidity in the tabloids, which likely outsell science magazines 100 to 1 (rough guess).

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I told a co worker about Yassar Arafat being poisoned.

He said, " it doesn't affect me any , I could care less".

That is the issue to which you are speaking.

I am surprised by the amount of people that do get it.

I find it funny that at the jobsite I am kind of known as the information guy. I try to tell people the info is there, you just have to look for it.

I am amazed how many people have smart phones and still argue over who's right when they have the answer in their pocket.

My supervisor is always asking me to look something up.

Sure they might crack a joke about a conspiracy, but at least I know they are listening a little.

Bring up subjects that jive with the conversation you are having.

Don't bring up a comet if people are asking where is the best place to get an ice cream.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Some people like to say "what's that?" just to hear your complete unadulterated knowledge level of the subject. I'd add about 1 or 2 percent to your figure for these people. But overall yes, the general populace seems insane, and ignorant.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
This is truly an experience which I have also observed as I also belong to Hospitality Industry in Pune since long 20 years. Basically I have tried to get a proper answer on this topic but no solution till yet.

Regards
myron remedios & ammin rajqotwala

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I have a theory about this to be honest..

They aren't "Awake" as the terminology seems to stand. So in reality, they are not aware that what you are saying, actually could effect them.

It's not that they are lazy, or uneducated, it's that, to them, you look like a conspiracy cook! They look at you and think "How deep in the internet does this guy go to find this bogus crap." They are alseep, and therefore believe "If what he was saying was true, or made any difference, I would have heard about it on T.V. already! The President would have made a statement!" So they bush it off, thinking "If it was important everyone would be talking about this.. and I would already know."
edit on 12-11-2016 by DeadCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
whats up with comet ISON anyway, didnt the sun destroy it with its hottness...
have i missed something..... i feel really disconnected here

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

Maybe because you're just really weird?

Or maybe because the World is about to Implode on itself.

my two cents.

You're welcome.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join